Michigan Babies

Stay at Home Moms group?

Hi all. I'm new to the Grand Rapids area and also new to being a SAHM (my daughter is 11 months). I have been trying to find a moms group or play group for us with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm new to The Bump as well so sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

Thanks!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Stay at Home Moms group?

• I don't think that you are in the wrong place, but this bord is pretty dead. I check in every few weeks but never really miss much. As for a mom/play group. I really dont know. Even as a SAHM. But I am kinda out numbered so I don't take my little ones out much during the week. I have 5 total and 2 or 3(depends on the day) on my own M-F. Sorry I am not much help. Maybe try the local bord on The nest.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • There are a handful of moms on the GR Nest that SAH. 

I'm in the opposite boat, I'd like to make new friends, but I'm a working mom. Sad I'm limited to pretty much weekends.

Check out infant story times too.  Byron Center Library has a great one on Tuesday's with 10 or so moms with infants/toddlers.  If I didn't work FT, I'd still be going.  I think Grandville Library has one too, but I've never been to that one. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey! I was in the same boat not too long ago and was very happy to find the Moms Club of Cascade/Caledonia/Kentwood. You can email Nellie at [email protected] for more info. She could also direct you to the right Mom's Club if you don't live within Cas/cal/kent areas. I know there is a north and a south group too.

I am a very shy person and took a lot for me to reach out but so glad I did. Not going crazy anymore being a SAHM :) Great interaction for me AND my babes!

• Thanks for the suggestions. Some days my one is too much to take out on my own so I don't blame you for not getting out much. :) I did try baby story time at our library but we were the only ones there so that wasn't much fun (we live in Allendale). Maybe I can try another library - not sure if you have to live in that area though in order to go. I did find a group called New Mom's of Grand Rapids on Meetup.com. I am going to try to make it to their monthly Mom's night out meeting in February and hope to be able to go to some activities with my daughter as spring comes. I'll check on "the nest" too. Thanks again!

• imageHannahsMom223:

Thanks for the suggestions. Some days my one is too much to take out on my own so I don't blame you for not getting out much. :) I did try baby story time at our library but we were the only ones there so that wasn't much fun (we live in Allendale). Maybe I can try another library - not sure if you have to live in that area though in order to go. I did find a group called New Mom's of Grand Rapids on Meetup.com. I am going to try to make it to their monthly Mom's night out meeting in February and hope to be able to go to some activities with my daughter as spring comes. I'll check on "the nest" too. Thanks again!

You don't have to live in the area to be able go to the KDL library events (at least not the ones I've been to).  You just show up Smile No regestering or anything. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageTheWop:
    imageHannahsMom223:

You don't have to live in the area to be able go to the KDL library events (at least not the ones I've been to).  You just show up Smile No regestering or anything. 

Good to know! My little one loves to have books read to her but I wanted her to get some interaction with other kids as well. Thanks!

• I would suggest looking for a local MOPS (Mothers Of Preschoolers) group. You can go to the MOPS International website and search for a local group. I know there are quite a few in the area. They meet twice a month for a couple hours. There is a nursery for babies and activities for each age range of kids while the moms meet together to have a warm breakfast and listen to a guest speaker, have a craft day, or just a group discussion. I participated in a group for 3 years until my work schedule changed...I LOVED going to those meetings!
    ~ Mom of 2 boys and unexpected Baby #3 due in June! ~ BabyFetus Ticker
  • Another great way to meet other moms is Java Gym, Knapp corner, kind of far from Allendale, but there might be one closer to you. It's a gym for the little ones and a cafe for the moms or dads (with free coffee refills). Or the YMCA is always a great place. They have free day care while you work out or take a class or you could take your babe for a swim class. Hope you meet some other SAHM's!! So wish I could do that after my little Jane gets here. Good luck and welcome to West Michigan, we have the best summers!! you are so close to Kirk Park too! The best beach besides Rosy Mound. And very close to Allendale:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"