Illinois Babies
Options

Delivering at Prentice

I would like to try a natural labor. Will that be impossible at Prentice? Also, how were your experiences overall? Is it really terrible having students in your room? Can you ask them to leave?
Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

Re: Delivering at Prentice

• Options

Though I did not go naturally for labor (and actually ended up needing a c-section) I definitely think it's possibly to try it at Prentice. I think it really all depends on your doctor/midwife and how supportive they are as well as how committed you are to going med-free. I knew that I probably was going to ask for an epi but I know that my doctor and practice would have supported me all the way if I wanted to go med free, they would ask us to labor at home as long as we could knowing that as soon as many women check in, they often opt for the epi. I also know that Prentice does have a couple bathtubs to use but they are done on a first come, first serve basis.

Overall, I loved my experience there. The only hiccups I had where the slowness of the check in process despite having preregistered. But this could also be because we came in a little after midnight, needing to call/wake up the doctor or whatnot. Another would be when we were in the recovery room, waiting to be taken into PostPartum after my C. Again, took forever (I guess they only have a couple of transporters in the hospital) and then I was transferred during a shift change..definitely not optimal.

As far as students go, I didn't mind them all. I didn't have any in there asking questions or really saw any "teaching moments". In fact, I feel like perhaps I only had one student and she was with the u/s tech and maybe one while I was in Post Partum. But again, maybe it was timing since I gave birth on Sat. Not sure if you can ask them to leave. I think that's part of the package of choosing Prentice as your hospital. Again, loved my experience! My husband and I were considering moving out of state and I was saddened by the fact that our next, whenever they may come along, wouldn't be born at Northwestern. Thankfully we decided to stay!

Hope that helps! Sorry if I tend to ramble. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with PP, it really depends on your Dr. and how much he/she will support your plan for a natural birth. I had gone over my birth plan with my Dr. prior to delivery (I wanted an epidural) but I arrived at the hostpital fully dialated and they still asked me if I would like one. A few students came in during the epidural but they left quickly after. There was one student that stayed with the Dr. while I was getting stitched up after delivery (I had an episiotomy and 3rd degree tearing) but honestly we were so focused on the baby that it didn't bother me at all.

The nursing staff at Prentice was fantastic. They were helpful and always available when needed. It did take a while for us to get checked out on discharge day (which was a Saturday), but they were quite busy so there wasn't much that could be done about it.

I live in New Lenox but work downtown and while my husband wasn't super pumped about the commute to the hospital it worked out perfectly and I'm so glad that we were able to deliver and Prentice. I'm hoping for baby #2 we can do the same thing.

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you considered going with the MWs there?  I've heard they are good.  I have a friend from my Hypnobirthing class who had a med-free water-birth there.  She had a doula, who I know was really helpful. 
  • Options
    No drug free labor here. However, I loved Prentice and the care I had. I only had one student, she checked me twice over night. No students while I was pushing or anything like that. My nurses were fantastic.
    BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I did not go natural but the Great Expectations class led me to believe it was an option, if I was interested.

I had a great experience at Prentice and felt comfortable there from check in (super quick) to check out. The nurses and staff were amazing.

There was only one student present during my labor and delivery and she was there the whole time. So I knew who she was and felt comfortable with her. When it came time to push, she was holding one of my legs, my husband was holding the other.

• Options

I had a natural/med-free labor at Prentice.

As others mentioned, your doctor is a big part of it. I was worried because while my primary OB was very supportive of my birth plan, as were 2 other OBs in the office, the 4th didn't exactly seem the same. And, wouldn't you know it, she was the one on call the day I went into labor.

That said, I labored at home for a really, really long time (almost too long). I also had a doula, though I didn't really call her till the very end. When I arrived at the hospital, I was already 10 cm. At that point, I don't think anyone could possibly dispute a med-free labor. :)

Although I didn't really have to deal with anyone continually offering me meds, etc. I would recommend a doula because it's just another support system and another person who can tell them "no." And you can always speak to your doula about how far you are willing to take it, etc. One of the reasons I chose my doula is that she had experience with med-free labors as well as ones where the women wanted epis from the getgo, or received them after intending to go med-free. She seemed supportive of all of those choices, and that was very important to me. I didn't want to feel bad if I couldn't do it. 

ETA: I had no students in my room. Not sure if it's because I asked that no extra people be in there in my birth plan or if it's because it was Easter weekend and the hospital was a bit of a ghost town. 

• Options
    Prentice is not exactly known for their natural births, but it is possible if you are dedicated enough to it. You have a better chance of a achieving a natural birth there if you are with the midwives instead of the OBs. I also recommend you take a well rounded childbirth education class(Bradley, Hypnobirthing, Brio, or something else naturally minded) and hire a doula. Like others said laboring at home as long as possible is really important too. If you are not dead set on Prentice the Swedish Covenant Midwives(Foster and California) or one of the groups out of West Sub(Oak Park) are your best option for a natural delivery-UIC also has a good midwifery group. At any hospital you have the right to refuse to allow a student to observe or provide you care and they will not be offended. As a new nurse myself I was never offended when someone said they didn't want the people in the room. 
    Samantha Trebilcock BSN RN, CD(DONA), PES, CBE http://naturalbeginningsdoula.vpweb.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"