School-Aged Children

What Do You Need From Teachers?

Would you help me with a grad school project, please?

My group will be presenting a lesson on Parenting in the Digital Age.  The concept is to increase two-way communication with parents via technology. We are working on a website that parents can access which shares everything from grades to behavior to upcoming tests to teaching objectives. 

Here is where I could use your input. 

1. Does your school already have a similar site? Do you like it? Dislike it? Is it user-friendly?
  2. If you do have one, what could they add to it? How could they improve it?
  3. How often do you use it? If rarely, what would make you access it more?
  4. If you do not have one, would you use it?
  5. If you do not have one, what would you like to see on a parent-student-teacher website?

And, in general, what do 23 year old teachers who do not have teens need to know about their MS and HS students' parents?

TIA!!!!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***

Re: What Do You Need From Teachers?

• imageStrawberryAlarmClock:
    1. Does your school already have a similar site? Do you like it? Dislike it? Is it user-friendly?

We have a web portal for messages, grades, attendance, recharging the lunch card and probably a bunch of other things I don't even know are there.  We mostly just use it to see DS's report card.  The teacher's newsletters are on her web page, not on the portal.  And, email messages are usually sent via the teachers email vs. the portal.  I like to receive them that way vs. logging into the portal.  I do like how speicals teachers send messages through the portal, though.  they're not as urgent, IMO. 

1. If you do have one, what could they add to it? How could they improve it?

I think it's fine, just kind of a PITA to get to.  Easier access would be nice.

1. How often do you use it? If rarely, what would make you access it more?

At least e/o month b/c I pay DD's PreK tuition through it too.  If the combined the portal with the class newsletter, calendar, etc. I would access it more.

And, in general, what do 23 year old teachers who do not have teens need to know about their MS and HS students' parents? 

Can't really contribute to this one.  My sister has MS and HS students, though.  I can only say that she needs to know immediately if there is an issue.  They are kind of sneaky and can hide things from her.  They need to be a team in keeping these kids in line and it is futile to call the parents in thinking they are shirking their responsibilities when their kids have gone to great lenghts to hide things from them.  Sometimes you really don't know what your kid is capable of until they do it, even when they're babies.  It doesn't change as they grow up.  I think it takes a village and we all need to watch out for each other. 

TIA!!!!!

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • We do not have one of those in our district and wish we did.  We still use a communication log in my sons folder 1st grade, and sometimes a few days go by without the teacher responding.  There are always times he comes home with a graded test that I didn't even know he had:(  So yes, I wish we had this feature.

As far as the parents of middle school students, mine are not that age yet, but I did teach 6-8th grade for 7 years, as I am sure you are aware, there seems to be a big lag in communication between this age group and their parents.  It is the how was school....fine,....end of conversation age.

Also, for the middle school students who are struggling with peer pressure, sex, drugs, etc. stronger communication between the teacher and the parent may be a very good thing.  After having parent teacher conferences with hundreds of parents of middle schoolers, I was always surprised at the difference between how the student/child was at home, innocent, listening, etc. and the persona/group they would hang with at school.  The girl smoking in the bathroom was an angel at home and her parents would have no idea she was hanging with the pre-drug using crew, passing notes about getting to 3rd base, and planning on sneaking out on friday night.  As parents we want to think our children are on the straight and narrow, and as a teacher, with ears in the hallways we can usually tell which students are at-risk for many different things. 

I taught in an at-risk area, but have a feeling these things are going on in most middle schools in america.

I don't know if any of that helps, but thought I would give my input.

ETA:  Just re-read your original post/question and don't think I answered correctly at the end.  Sorry.  I missed that you were all already teachers:)  Thought you were in college, not grad school.  Thats what I get for skimming.  Sorry.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageshouldbworkin:
    imageStrawberryAlarmClock:

We have a web portal for messages, grades, attendance, recharging the lunch card and probably a bunch of other things I don't even know are there.  We mostly just use it to see DS's report card.  The teacher's newsletters are on her web page, not on the portal.  And, email messages are usually sent via the teachers email vs. the portal.  I like to receive them that way vs. logging into the portal.  I do like how speicals teachers send messages through the portal, though.  they're not as urgent, IMO. 

1. If you do have one, what could they add to it? How could they improve it?

I think it's fine, just kind of a PITA to get to.  Easier access would be nice.

1. How often do you use it? If rarely, what would make you access it more?

At least e/o month b/c I pay DD's PreK tuition through it too.  If the combined the portal with the class newsletter, calendar, etc. I would access it more.

Can't really contribute to this one.  My sister has MS and HS students, though.  I can only say that she needs to know immediately if there is an issue.  They are kind of sneaky and can hide things from her.  They need to be a team in keeping these kids in line and it is futile to call the parents in thinking they are shirking their responsibilities when their kids have gone to great lenghts to hide things from them.  Sometimes you really don't know what your kid is capable of until they do it, even when they're babies.  It doesn't change as they grow up.  I think it takes a village and we all need to watch out for each other. 

TIA!!!!!

Thanks so much. This is very helpful!!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • imagesurprise3rd:

We do not have one of those in our district and wish we did.  We still use a communication log in my sons folder 1st grade, and sometimes a few days go by without the teacher responding.  There are always times he comes home with a graded test that I didn't even know he had:(  So yes, I wish we had this feature.

As far as the parents of middle school students, mine are not that age yet, but I did teach 6-8th grade for 7 years, as I am sure you are aware, there seems to be a big lag in communication between this age group and their parents.  It is the how was school....fine,....end of conversation age.

Also, for the middle school students who are struggling with peer pressure, sex, drugs, etc. stronger communication between the teacher and the parent may be a very good thing.  After having parent teacher conferences with hundreds of parents of middle schoolers, I was always surprised at the difference between how the student/child was at home, innocent, listening, etc. and the persona/group they would hang with at school.  The girl smoking in the bathroom was an angel at home and her parents would have no idea she was hanging with the pre-drug using crew, passing notes about getting to 3rd base, and planning on sneaking out on friday night.  As parents we want to think our children are on the straight and narrow, and as a teacher, with ears in the hallways we can usually tell which students are at-risk for many different things. 

I taught in an at-risk area, but have a feeling these things are going on in most middle schools in america.

I don't know if any of that helps, but thought I would give my input.

ETA:  Just re-read your original post/question and don't think I answered correctly at the end.  Sorry.  I missed that you were all already teachers:)  Thought you were in college, not grad school.  Thats what I get for skimming.  Sorry.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. No worries on the skimming. There is no magic moment when a teacher suddenly knows everything. Good advice is good advice!! ;)

• imageStrawberryAlarmClock:

We are working on a website that parents can access which shares everything from grades to behavior to upcoming tests to teaching objectives. 

Here is where I could use your input.

1. Does your school already have a similar site? Do you like it? Dislike it? Is it user-friendly? No. My daughter is in elementary school now.
    2. If you do have one, what could they add to it? How could they improve it?
    3. How often do you use it? If rarely, what would make you access it more?
    4. If you do not have one, would you use it? Yes
    5. If you do not have one, what would you like to see on a parent-student-teacher website? I would like to know the daily lesson plan, homework, upcoming projects, and opportunities.

I'm a parent of a 4th grade student, so I can only guess. I imagine that parents and teachers can support their students by giving them the tools to succeed. The more access that parents have to classroom expectations, the better the outcome. I see a website the enables communication between parents-students-teachers as a great tool.

TIA!!!!!

Newlyweds since 2007
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"