Military Families

I just need to feel bad for myself for a second.

We moved and I left my job at the CDC (which I LOVED), then I got pregnant so we agreed that I would nanny for better money until I delivered.  For the first 4 months, I was a stay at home mom but then I got a little bored so I found a family  with a little boy I could watch.  I've been watching this other little boy for 45 hours a week for about 6 weeks and I just found out today that they're PCSing.  I'm so bummed.  I felt like I was making all this extra money that we don't need but it was great to have.  I felt like I was really contributing and doing great with building our savings.  And now, I'm back to being a little bored and we have to watch our money a little. 

Sorry for the vent.  I'm super grateful to be a SAHM, just wanted a friend for my son.  Darn military!!! lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I just need to feel bad for myself for a second.

• I have friends that use sitter city to find babysitting/ nanny jobs. Military spouses membership is free! It stinks that they are PCSing but I bet there are lots of other people in your area that are looking for someone for their child. Worth looking into if you want to continue making a little extra cash.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Have you looked into becoming an FCC provider? I'm one on post and I get to SAH, but still contribute to the household. Talk to the CYSS office, they can steer you in the right direction.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepanicked228:
    Have you looked into becoming an FCC provider? I'm one on post and I get to SAH, but still contribute to the household. Talk to the CYSS office, they can steer you in the right direction.

Hey just jumping in, can you explain what an FCC provider is? I'm new to Military life so I don't know what this means. THANKS 

• imagej_twitchell:

imagepanicked228:
    Have you looked into becoming an FCC provider? I'm one on post and I get to SAH, but still contribute to the household. Talk to the CYSS office, they can steer you in the right direction.

Hey just jumping in, can you explain what an FCC provider is? I'm new to Military life so I don't know what this means. THANKS 

FCC = Family Child Care

BECOMING A FAMILY CHILD CARE PROVIDER
    Help support the Air Force mission by caring for the children of our military and DOD civilian personnel while establishing a professional career for yourself. At minimal start-up cost to you, you can operate your own home-based business, set your own hours, be with your children, and care for other children at home. The FCC staff will train and help you provide responsible, safe, in-home care for children ages 2 weeks to 12 years in your government home or affiliated off-base home.As an added benefit, you?ll also receive 60 hours of AF Standardized training, annual refresher training and be eligible for low cost insurance options. The FCC Program will assist you in seeking the Child Development Associate Credential (CDA) and accreditation through the National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC).

And, your credentials follow you wherever you go, making your home-based business portable. When you PCS or when your spouse leaves the military, you can move your business along with your family.You can make a difference by providing quality and affordable child care in a home setting.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • imageMrsOjoButtons:
    imagej_twitchell:

imagepanicked228:

FCC = Family Child Care

BECOMING A FAMILY CHILD CARE PROVIDER
    Help support the Air Force mission by caring for the children of our military and DOD civilian personnel while establishing a professional career for yourself. At minimal start-up cost to you, you can operate your own home-based business, set your own hours, be with your children, and care for other children at home. The FCC staff will train and help you provide responsible, safe, in-home care for children ages 2 weeks to 12 years in your government home or affiliated off-base home.As an added benefit, you?ll also receive 60 hours of AF Standardized training, annual refresher training and be eligible for low cost insurance options. The FCC Program will assist you in seeking the Child Development Associate Credential (CDA) and accreditation through the National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC).

And, your credentials follow you wherever you go, making your home-based business portable. When you PCS or when your spouse leaves the military, you can move your business along with your family.You can make a difference by providing quality and affordable child care in a home setting.

This is very interesting, thank you! 

• I use Sittercity too, which is how I found this family.  I'm just bummed that we got into a routine and I really liked having this cash since we might be PCSing within the next year...lots to save for!

I actually worked at a CDC when we were in Alaska, then we came here and I was appauled at the difference.  The CDC seriously stinks here so I decided to nanny until I delivered and then watch another LO in my home.  I've considered FCC but it's just not for me.  DS has a minimum of 2 appts a week for medical stuff so FCC hours would be hard for us because I need some flexibility.  Right now, I have 3 days a week off and I still have 2 days a week that I make it home within 30 minutes of the second LO being dropped off.  I don't want to keep track of everything for tax purposes or worry about being ceritified so this keeps it kind of relaxed.  (I'm not horrible lol we still do crafts and have lesson plans and stuff, I just don't want to have to pass any inspections about dust on the bookshelf or anything).  Thanks for being supportive and helpful ladies Smile  I was kind of expecting snarky responses.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"