Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How do I fatten up this kid?

We just got home from Mason's two month appointment. He took his vaccinations like a champ! I am slightly concerned about his weight though. He is only 10lbs 11oz. The doctor says that is about the 15th percentile (he was 25th percentile at 9lbs 7oz a month ago). He was born 7lbs 12oz which means that he has only gained 3 lbs in two months. The doctor is not overly concerned, and we will reassess at his 4 month appointment. He is breastfed only. He eats often (every 2 hours) and has never had a problem with latch. I wish there was a way to fatten him up a little. He doesn't look scrawny though. Maybe he is just meant to be a smaller kid. I suppose that if the doctor isn't concerned yet, I shouldnt be, but it's hard not to feel responsible, especially when you are breastfeeding.

Re: How do I fatten up this kid?

• Options
    As a mom of a small kid (5% for weight), trust your pedi.  My DS was always small and had to go in for extra weight checks and all of that fun stuff.  He gained weight consistently, but it was never a lot. My H and I are smaller, so it's expected that DS would be small, too.  My pedi  pointed out that DS looked healthy and he was happy and that there really was no reason for concern.  Someone has to make up that end of the % scale, right?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Options
    My little guy was the same weights pretty much but he was not a happy little guy! he was very fussy and cried a lot, my pedi was concerned so i had to start supplimenting  a bit everyday as i have a low supply we think for breastfeeding, once i started giving him about 4oz of formula a day he gained a pound in a week! and was much happier! So i would say it all depends if hes happy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS was 9 lbs 5.5 oz at his 2 month appt (which was actually 10 days late).  He was in the 4th percentile for weight and my pedi wasn't concerned as long as he is gaining.  He will probably start catching up when you start cereal in a couple months. 
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know you and other exclusive bf-ing moms won't like this, but sounds like your milk supply might not be enough for him. My DD was a little peanut and I had to supplement with formula after every single bf-ing. It was the only thing that did the trick. And for me, that wasn't a big deal because it's most important that baby is healthy and putting on good weight. 
  • Options
    We are in a similar boat. DD was 6 pounds 6 ounces at birth. Was down to 5 ponds 11 ounces at her lowest. She was only 8 lbs 12 oz at 8 weeks.she is in the 13 percentile for weight overall for age, but for height she is only in the third percentile. Her eight gain has slowed significantly...as in only an ounce a week so we are doing some testing to rule out anything serious ( due to some family hx in dh's side) but it is likely she is just tall and skinny. She's grown 3 inches since birth. She's happy, active and strong, so Im not too worried.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMBNB:
    I know you and other exclusive bf-ing moms won't like this, but sounds like your milk supply might not be enough for him. My DD was a little peanut and I had to supplement with formula after every single bf-ing. It was the only thing that did the trick. And for me, that wasn't a big deal because it's most important that baby is healthy and putting on good weight. 

I EBF and have adequate supply. I do several weigh feed weighs per week and DD consistently gets 3-3.5 ounces per feeding from one breast. If I supplemented with formula shed just spit it up. She takes a bottle of pumped milk at night from dh at night and we sometimes try to give her 4 ounces and she spits it up most days unless it's been 4 or more hours since her last feeding which is rare.

• Options
    imagesuzyqjmu:
    We just got home from Mason's two month appointment. He took his vaccinations like a champ! I am slightly concerned about his weight though. He is only 10lbs 11oz. The doctor says that is about the 15th percentile (he was 25th percentile at 9lbs 7oz a month ago). He was born 7lbs 12oz which means that he has only gained 3 lbs in two months. The doctor is not overly concerned, and we will reassess at his 4 month appointment. He is breastfed only. He eats often (every 2 hours) and has never had a problem with latch. I wish there was a way to fatten him up a little. He doesn't look scrawny though. Maybe he is just meant to be a smaller kid. I suppose that if the doctor isn't concerned yet, I shouldnt be, but it's hard not to feel responsible, especially when you are breastfeeding.

mason looks quite happy and healthy, and adorable by the way so I'd say trust your pedi.

• Options

My daughter was in the 25% for weight at birth & her two-week appt, but jumped up to 50% in height by then.  I would estimate she only weighs about 10 lbs currently.  She has a good latch and would suck all night long if I'd let her!

She feeds on demand when I'm at home, practically every hour throughout the evening, usually once or twice in the middle of the night, then once before we leave in the morning.  I pump every 3 hours at work and usually bring home about 9-10 oz, which gets sent to daycare the next day in three 3 oz bottles.  From what I've read, on average babies 1 through 6 months need about 24 oz per day; approximately one ounce per hour which is on average what the breasts produce.

Personally, I'm not worried since my daughter has plenty of wet & poopy diapers. But it's easy to compare myself to other women who boast about pumping 5,6,7+ oz per session.  Plus everyone always comments how tiny she is, which is typically proceeded by the "How much did she weigh at birth?" (7 lbs 8 oz.)  She's just not a chunker that's all.

I was never a big kid; nor was my sister -- my mom said we were always in the 10-25% range for weight, and I was fairly tall as a child.  Personally I'm not going to worry about it unless my baby is screaming for food; plus I think a lot of people tend to over-feed if they're doing formula which may skew the numbers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
  • Options

imageMBNB:

This is false.  Sometimes babies gain weight at a slower rate.  It isn't a big deal.  If her physician isn't worried, then she should trust him.

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

I wouldn't worry about that. My LO was only 10.5 at her 2 month appt. and 22 inches long. So she's long and skinny. It ended up throwing her in the 14th percentile for weight and it was off the chart when combined with her length.

The pedi didn't care at all. He said bfed babies are naturally leaner so as long as they're happy, healthy, having the right amount of diapers and gaining some weight it doesn't matter.

He also said everyone has this push to have their kid in the 90th percentile and that's not good either. He said over the course of 20 years as a pedi he's seen more chubby babies in the last 5 than he ever should.

He also added there wouldn't be a chart if some kids didn't make up the bottom. ;)

• Options
    If your pediatrician wasn't concerned then don't worry about it.  Breastfed babies aren't always known for being huge chunkers.  Stick with what you're doing, your baby is only 2 months old, it's too early to be giving him anything on the side to 'fatten him up'.
  • Options
    imagekatie4253:

imageMBNB:

This is false.  Sometimes babies gain weight at a slower rate.  It isn't a big deal.  If her physician isn't worried, then she should trust him.

This too. Her LO is gaining weight without issue, just slowly. That's not a cause for concern at all. If she said her LO was screaming, crying, acting hungry all the time then I'd agree with you. I EP so I know how much LO is getting. The kid eats like a horse, she just burns through calories apparently.

• Options

My EBF baby was 8-14 at birth and only 11-12 at her two month visit earlier this week.  Her growth slowed a little between months 1 and 2 despite no major changes - still feeding every 2-3 hours and up a lot at night.  My doc wasn't all that concerned b/c she looks healthy - long and lean - and is pretty happy, but wanted me to keep my eye on her and call if I notice anything unusual.  I'm sure your DS is fine too :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the support. I won't worry about it until the doctor is worried. My baby is generally happy, seems satisfied with his feedings, and is definitely meeting his milestones. I guess I just needed a little reassurance. I have seen so many posts about big babies, but no one seems to talk about their smaller ones. FWIW, he doesn't look small to me at all.
  • Options
    I would say if your ped isn't concerned to wait until your next appt before worrying.  Did your ped look at the chart for breastfed babies to give you a percentile?  They have some charts on kellymom and there was a post on here or the BF board linking to it yesterday or the day before.  The only other advice I've heard is to feed more often but it sounds like he's doing that.  Is he feeding long enough on both sides to get the fatty hindmilk, which has more calories?  HTH!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was always on the low side so I don't think there is anything wrong with being tiny as long as they are eating and developing properly.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Options
    Dome babies are just smaller. Don't beat yourself up.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If it makes you feel better your LO is big compared to my guy.  He weighed a whopping 8 pounds 5 ounces at just over 2 months (1%) and my pedi isn't concerned.  The main thing is that he is gaining consistently.  And don't worry about supply issues.  If having a small baby always equaled a bad supply then I wouldn't be freezing as much as I am!  If you are truly worried about supply, though, you can always weight him, feed him, and then weigh him again to see just how much he is transferring.  We do this at least once a month just for my own peace of mind and he consistently gets 3.25-3.5 ounces.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    What guide is your pediatrician using? Most guides these days are from formula fed babies. EBF babies do not gain weight as quickly as those on formula. this doesn't mean that they are not getting enough food it just means that they are using the breast milk more efficiently. As long as Mason is pooping and peeing regularly, that's all that matters. If your pediatrician isn't concerned, you shouldn't be either.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                    Anniversary
  • Options

imagediabeticmom:
    What guide is your pediatrician using? Most guides these days are from formula fed babies. EBF babies do not gain weight as quickly as those on formula. this doesn't mean that they are not getting enough food it just means that they are using the breast milk more efficiently. As long as Mason is pooping and peeing regularly, that's all that matters. If your pediatrician isn't concerned, you shouldn't be either.

ditto this.  google the WHO growth charts - they are supposed to be more accurate for BF babies.

and FWIW, DD was 7.14 at birth and was 11.3 at her 2 month appt.  and she was 9.14 at 1 month.  her pedi isn't worried so I'm not either

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options

I don't think you need to fatten him up. DD was 7lbs at birth and at 2 months was 9.3lbs. She's been around and under 5% for weight all her life.

If the dr isn't worried I'd just keep doing what you're doing.

image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"