Postpartum Depression

Is it common....

To start feeling super depressed and anxious at 8 months.

I have never been on this board and didn't even know it was here.  Today I started searching for a local mental health clinic because I have no insurance and know that I need to see someone.

We had a rough start with our little man who is now 8 months old.  I started having lots of breastfeeding problems, and our DS ended up sick.  I also have progressively gained weight, and unfortunately because of lack of insurance it is tough to get my thyroid checked out (I have problems already with it).  I think throwing the health problems I am having, financial issues we are having and just everything, the depression has hit me hard.

I felt this way at the start, and felt anxious about everything.  I have handled it slightly well, but it has really taken a toll on my marriage, and the person I am as a mother.  I have no motivation, to clean the house, loss weight or play with DS.  I would never hurt DS but I do know my patience is low and I just feel like doing nothing most days that I am not all that I could be to DS.

Is it possible for this to be postpartum related or is it just likely depression or anxiety that has nothing to do with being postpartum?

Thank you so much for listening and helping!

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage

Re: Is it common....

• I was diagnosed with PP Anxiety at 15m pp, so I would say, yes, try to get help. Depression in the postpartum period is PPD. Does the hospital you delivered in have any mental health services? How about your last OB? In the very least, you should be able to get medication, which may give you time to seek other help resources. I also suggest walking a little every day, outside if possible. Exercise is part of the trifecta of treatment (exercise, meds, and CBT). Know this board can be a good resource. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagefrecks2112:
    I was diagnosed with PP Anxiety at 15m pp, so I would say, yes, try to get help. Depression in the postpartum period is PPD. Does the hospital you delivered in have any mental health services? How about your last OB? In the very least, you should be able to get medication, which may give you time to seek other help resources. I also suggest walking a little every day, outside if possible. Exercise is part of the trifecta of treatment (exercise, meds, and CBT). Know this board can be a good resource. 

I had never even thought to check with the hospital I delivered at which is a women's hospital strictly.  I could go back to my last OB but without insurance that would be a crazy cost.  I know there is a behavioral center here that charges on a sliding scale if you have no insurance.  They will referr to outside therapist if theirs there can't help, and they also have a pharmacy on site to get your meds.

What is CBT?  You know before having DS my husband and I went to the gym 4 times a week and it always made me feel better.  It seems once I got pregnant my other issues (in my other post about death) they started getting worse and then once I had DS it seems that a lot that I explained here has just gotten worse and worse.

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • CBT = cognitive behavioral therapy.

I highly recommend you check out Postpartum Progress online. There is so much good information there.  Also try to find a therapist that you like and can afford to see even once or twice a month. Do you have a support network, online or in person, that you can lean on? Maybe find a local support group that meets weekly or so, that will allow you to bring the baby if you don't have a sitter?

• imageBridezookie:

CBT = cognitive behavioral therapy.

I highly recommend you check out Postpartum Progress online. There is so much good information there.  Also try to find a therapist that you like and can afford to see even once or twice a month. Do you have a support network, online or in person, that you can lean on? Maybe find a local support group that meets weekly or so, that will allow you to bring the baby if you don't have a sitter?

I was able to find some info about CBT, and I do think ideally that would be best.  I prefer to learn to deal with it and get past it.  If meds are necessary and make it better as well I am open to anything.  I am going to start with the behavioral hospital and see what happens with that.  THey will do the assesment and go from there.  Obviously if I am unhappy with what they decide for me then I can go elsewhere but with it being more affordable I will check there.

As for a support network, really I have my husband and my sister.  However, my sister can be very judgey (if that's a word), and my husband is fantastic but obviously I can not tell him everything because some thoughts that I have he would be very unhappy with them.  I will for sure try and see if there is something I can find for support, because I do think that would be helpful.  Thank you so very much for your help!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"