Parenting after 35
Options

Toddler Bed

At what age did you switch your LO to a toddler bed, from a crib.  Any tips?  Did they walk around in the middle of the night?

Re: Toddler Bed

• Options
    I switched mine to regular twin beds (DS's has bed rails) both around 22 months.  With each we tried to build the excitement and spent time in there reading prior to sleeping in the bed.  With DD, it was very gradual -- took us about 2-3 weeks of sitting with her (gradually moving the chair to and then out of the door) for her to be okay in there.  DS was one night that was bad and then once we put bedrails on, no problems whatsoever.  Both of them were pretty good about staying in their bed or at least getting back in it.  I put a pressure-mounted gate in the doorway so they couldn't leave the room and figured they would soon discover it was more comfy in their bed versus the floor.  We had a couple times of DS being unhappy about bedtime and laying on the floor by the door but that was well after the transition.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

We had to put our DD in a toddler bed at 18 months because she would climb out of her crib.  At the time she loved Elmo so we made a big deal of getting her an Elmo bed and sheets and pillows.  She was so excited when we were putting it together. To help her transition to sleeping in it we had one of the little Elmo couches that folds out into a bed with a built in sleeping bag she slept in that for about a week and then wanted to sleep in her 'big girl" bed!  She pretty much stayed in her room but not always in her bed.

GL!!! I cried big fat tears when we took the crib apart but it's been smooth sailing for all of her bed transitions since then! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am leaving Michael in the crib until he is at least 16. JK.  He is happy there and does not try to climb out yet so it appears he is not ready so I am not ready.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Charles started to escape his crib right before he turned 2, so that forced our hand.  We're still having nightly battles right now, but it's not over the bed! HA.

We also use a tension gate across his door to keep him from wandering.  I put it up underneath the lever door handle and he quickly learned he can't get out.  Heaven forbid the day he realizes he could just raise the lever and be free.

Sometimes I cringe at the thought of literally locking him in his room, but the alternatives would be so much worse.

• Options

We actually purchased (well ordered, as it's on back order) a twin bed from Pottery Barn Kids while it was on sale last month. It will be back in stock in April, when Aaron will be 32 months old and we will probably make the switch then.

I don't think the switch will be seamless at any age so hopefully it won't be too awful then. He hasn't climbed out of his crib as it's rather high.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    I think we are going to do it this summer so she will be 2.5 years.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info, I'm sure I'll be a little emotional too when the crib goes away, they grow too fast.
  • Options
    Yeah, DD hasn't really attempted to get out of her crib unless it was during the day, but the time she tried during the day made me think that I should start preparing for the day soon.
  • Options
    imageBrideBuddies:

Heaven forbid the day he realizes he could just raise the lever and be free.

Ha ha, yeah, I always think about fires and getting them out, but I think I could handle a tension mounted gate for awhile or at least a few nights.  I don't think I'd lock her in her room, plenty of time for that when she's a teenager, lol.  

• Options

Gosh, don't even get me started on this. The best advice I can give you is KEEP YOUR KID IN HIS CRIB UNTIL HE LEARNS TO CLIMB OUT. Then, you have no choice but to switch him over. I would have kept Adrian in his crib until he physically didn't fit in it but he learned to climb out every single night when he was 28 months old, so we had to get a toddler bed (we use the crib mattress in the new bed). It took a month for him to learn to stay in his room for a little while in the mornings. Before toddler bed, he used to sleep 10 hrs at night and wake up around 7am. After toddler bed, he only sleeps 8-9 hrs at night and sometimes wakes up at 6am. For a month we were totally exhausted but now it seems that he stays in his room for a little while and we get to "sleep in" some days til about 7 or 7:30. He naps long, usually 3-4 hrs, probably to make up for lost sleep at night.

It's not great. We used to sleep much better and we've had to babyproof his entire room and most of the house, just in case he takes a detour to the kitchen instead of our room in the morning. I also have to lock him in during nap time so he will stay in his room and sleep. And most nights me or DH have to stay with him and lay in the futon next to his bed and wait until he falls asleep. The alternative is to lock him in the room again and let him cry. I don't like to do that twice a day so we suck it up and take turns staying in the room with him at night.

Some kids have no problem but Adrian is just too excited to be "free". So if your LO still doesn't climb out, KEEP HIM IN HIS CRIB! Can you tell I feel strongly about this, lol. Good luck!

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"