October 2012 Moms
Options

Anti-Depressants/Anti-Anxiety Meds

Before getting pregnant I was on anti-anxiety medications and antidepressants.  When I found out I was pregnant, I stopped taking them. 

Since them, I cry for no reason.  I am moody and irritable and exhausted.  I have no patience and I just keep waiting for my happiness to come back.  When I was pregnant with DS, my midwife put me on Wellbutrin and it worked out alright... but now there are all of these commercials saying how medications like Wellbutrin and other antidepressants/anti-anxieties can cause birth defects...so I am afraid to use them now.

How can I get happy again?  I HATE how I am feeling right now.  I am pregnant... I should be jumping for freaking joy, right?

Any insight, advice or experience would be sooo welcome right now.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers -- Lilypie Second Birthday tickers -- Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Anti-Depressants/Anti-Anxiety Meds

• Options

Well from the perspective of a psych nurse, there are risks and benefits to being on medication and not being on medication.  If you were in a good place when you were on medication, it might be the best choice for you. Your fetus can feel the effects of depression-no doubt about it. I know many women who remained on their antidepressants because they knew they would be worse off of them and they felt that they could care for their unborn child better. 

It is completely your decision, but if I have one piece of advice for you-please do not watch those commercials.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Did you talk to your doctor and do a controlled wean off of your medication?  Sometimes the withdrawal can be the hardest part.  I had an OBYN appointment a couple of years ago (before TTC) and asked my doc about the anti-anxiety meds I was currently on and what I should do when I became pg.  She said they generally don't recommend stopping that kind of thing when you get pregnant.  I weaned off of it a few months later, just to see how it went, but if it hadn't gone well I wouldn't have hesitated to start it again. 
    BFP #1: 10.28.11 - Natural M/C: 12.9.11 @9w3d
    BFP #2: 1.30.12 - missed m/c found on 2.27.12 - D&C 3.1.12 @8w 
    BFP #3: 1.02.13 / EDD 8.31.13 / It's a boy!  - Baby Henry born 8.14.13
    BFP #4: 9.28.14 / EDD 5.27.15 / It's a girl! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took my anti anxiety meds during DD's pregnancy at the advice of my MW. It certainly helped me out. However, there are some serious issues related to DD's development in conjunction with the meds that we will be discussing with the MW at my first appointment to see about a possible other med, or none at all (weaned off after several months postpartum) If you need them, you need them. Helps you be the best mom you can be, nothing wrong with that. Just research it all and make the decision that you feel most comfortable with.
  • Options

Thanks for all of the advice.  I am in a wierd limbo between saying goodbye to my fertility doc and hello to my OB.  I am seeing my fert doc tomorrow for one more beta so I might ask her what to do.

Currently I am in therapy and have been for a while.  I was thinking about taking up yoga or even some kind of meditation.  Maybe this is just withdrawal... I never thought of that.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers -- Lilypie Second Birthday tickers -- Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    First off, HUGS to you!  I know how you feel.  After the birth of my second daughter I was diagnosed with PPD (I had it with my first but didn't know that anxiety could also be symptoms of PPD) but I have always struggled with depression and anxiety, even before children.  Anyhow, after her birth, I was put on a low dose of zoloft and it helped immensely.  My doctor said it was fine to continue taking the medicine while pregnant in the 1st and 2nd trimester but would like to wean me off them in the 3rd due to the baby going through withdrawal after birth.  I am not sure if this is the same for all anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds but I also had a friend who stayed on xanax her entire pregnancy and her son in bow a happy and heathy 5 year old.  Please take care of yourself and know that you are not alone!  :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Options
    I felt the same way after all the commercials.  Look into acupuncture and some Alternative Medicine options, like Homeopathic Meds.    Good Luck, that coming off feeling is terrible but it will get better!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Withdrawal is HORRIBLE.  I was on Elavil for migraines for two years.  Last year, I traveled a lot for work and forgot my pills on one of the business trips.  I basically had to quit cold-turkey because I didn't have access to the medication and I felt horrible that entire week.  Bursting into tears for no reason, feeling hopeless and helpless, wanting to crawl into bed and never get up again... that kind of stuff.

I started taking it when I got back home, but knowing we were going to TTC after we got married, I got back off it about six months later, this time by weaning off of them according to what my doctor recommended.  No symptoms that time.  It was so much better! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Started TTC "2.0": 6/13, First round of Clomid: 3/14, BFP: 4/14, EDD: 12/23/14, C-Section: 12/18/14
    Nathan and Nicholas are going to have so much fun together!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Definitely look into individual therapy.  I'm sure you'll start to feel better naturally, but you should consider talking with a professional in the meantime.  Anxiety is horrible- absolutely horrible- and depression is no better.  I feel for you.  GOod luck.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"