Boston Babies

Water birth at SSH?

I go to SSWH and will deliver at South Shore Hospital. I've read online in a few places that they offer water births but my MW hasn't mentioned it and I can't find anything on SSH's website about it. 

I'd really like to do a water birth so if SSH doesn't offer it then I'd like to look into switching. I also don't have an appointment for another 3 weeks so I figured I'd ask you girls.

I'm also hoping if they do and you've done a water birth - I'd like to hear about it. :) 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Water birth at SSH?

• When I was there I year ago, they told me they do not have the tub for water birth anymore, maybe they offer it again, you can ask, but as of last year it was not an option. Good luck. 

Great hospital and staff! Loved it there.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I called today because I got really bummed out by your response lol. They said they do offer it but only have one so if it's already being used you're out of luck if you're in labor. She also said to double check that my MW/OB would be willing to do it. I'm so relieved :) I like SSH and heard great things about their staff and policies.

Thanks so much!! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered at South Shore last spring.  I labored in the tub (till 7cm) but did not actually deliver in the tub.  SS does not allow for an actual water birth.  I know that the Jordan in Plymouth allow actual water births.  My midwives now deliver there and they are AMAZING, like I really really love them.  They formerly were "South Shore midwifery" but now are "Jordan OB/Midwifery" and have an office in Hanover.  If you just want to labor for a bit in the tub ss is fine but if you want to stay in as long as you want to Jordan may be a better fit (and the besttt midwives are there!)  If you have any questions feel free to message me!
  • I looked into water births with my first pregnancy and found MA has outlawed them in hospitals. You can labor in them and my birth center joked I might be an "oops! Water birth!" but you can on,y schedule it if you are doing a home birth. Technically at least.

I chose Anna Jaques hospital in Newburyport specifically because they used to have tubs in each room. Was disappointed they no longer do, but still thrilled with the birth center and will be having #2 there any day! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"