Northern California Babies
Options

Baby spitting up?

How much spit up is normal and when should I be concerned?

Last night he was very fussy and didn't sleep much. I'd feed him, attempt to burp (I don't always get him too.. he is really hard to burp) and then eventually he falls asleep. I lay him down and then about 15 minutes later he spits up and wakes himself up and is very upset and fussy. Rinse, repeat for many many hours.

We have had some really good nights too.. so I'm wondering if its something I ate? Or is this just because I have too much supply and he is taking in too much air? How can I tell the difference and when is spit up something I should worry about?

Also, are all newborns this snotty after breastfeeding? He seems to get it up his nose or something and acts congested after eating. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Re: Baby spitting up?

• Options

The congestion is pretty normal.  I had forgotten that the second time around but my pediatrician reminded me that it's normal.

L was a huge spitter upper.  He spit up all.the.time.  In hindsight he probably had reflux and may have benefited from meds but we never realized it.  We would always have a blanket or something under his head in the crib because he'd spit up at night too.  

Maybe he has reflux?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First, big hugs.

Second, if it's an ongoing issue, I'd try eliminating dairy from your diet to see if it helps.  Both of my girls did this and eliminating dairy made things a million times better.

• Options

If you have an over supply, it could very well be from that. How are his poops? I forget what color indicates over supply issues... green? I had an over supply and E had some very spitty days in the beginning until I stopped trying to force feed her from both sides everytime she ate.

Otherwise, yes, could be reflux and I would probably try eliminating dairy. 

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    imageladipale:

If you have an over supply, it could very well be from that. How are his poops? I forget what color indicates over supply issues... green? I had an over supply and E had some very spitty days in the beginning until I stopped trying to force feed her from both sides everytime she ate. 

I second this.  I have had an oversupply both pregnancies and as a result only feed one side at a time.  This really seems to help.

• Options

How big is his spit up? Would it fill the palm of your hand? That was what our pedi said was the size to at least discuss that it could be a problem. We had that and poor weight gain and after a lot of tests, stomach and liver ultra sounds and blood work there was nothing wrong. She does have reflux and e Meds do help a bit, but I think she is now outgrowing it. 

We elevated the mattress of the cosleeper until about 5 months when she stopped spitting up in her sleep and that helped a lot. I bought a crib wedge that I could drop off for you this weekend to see if that helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLesley423:
    imageladipale:

I second this.  I have had an oversupply both pregnancies and as a result only feed one side at a time.  This really seems to help.

After your responses, I'm guessing its a oversupply issue and/or letdown issue. It seems to come out very fast for him and he will sometimes pull off and choke or act like he got too much. I re-latch him and he is ok but sometimes fussy and unlatches again. So maybe its just too much for him to handle.

• Options
    imagelegaleagles:

How big is his spit up? Would it fill the palm of your hand? That was what our pedi said was the size to at least discuss that it could be a problem. We had that and poor weight gain and after a lot of tests, stomach and liver ultra sounds and blood work there was nothing wrong. She does have reflux and e Meds do help a bit, but I think she is now outgrowing it. 

We elevated the mattress of the cosleeper until about 5 months when she stopped spitting up in her sleep and that helped a lot. I bought a crib wedge that I could drop off for you this weekend to see if that helps.

Its hard to say how much because by the time we see it, its been absorbed into the pack n play mattress. When he does it on me, I do not think its enough to fill the palm of my hand. He also will spit up an hour after feeding too.. for example on his activity mat he has done this.

His weight gain is good so far but I'll watch it. I know I can weigh him at my pedi or the hospital has drop in hours. But right now, he seems to be growing just judging from how his clothes fit. 

• Options
    EJ had big issues with this.  We later found out he had a sensitivity to soy and reflux.  

Our pediatrician said unless it is projectile it should be fine since spitting up is pretty normal.  He suggested the same gauge of the handful.

Something we found that helped was holding EJ upright for 15-20 minutes post feeding, high on the shoulder and patting his bottom rather than his back.  Another thing that helped was when he was very small (which didn't last long for us) was holding him gently at the base of the neck on his chest while sitting him upright in our lap (kind of at an angle forward) and gently patting his back.  This was very successful in the early days at burping him.

Also, rubbing his tummy helped.  After burping I would lay him down and gently rub his tummy in almost a squeezing motion...that sounds bad but it was like a pinching look with the full hand but very very light.  This would be followed by putting him back up on my shoulder and patting.  Perhaps this moved the air bubbles around?  I am not sure but it worked.

Elevating the mattress never worked since he would just slide down, we ended up doing a sleep positioner with swaddle and that helped. 
    Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"