1st Trimester

Gender reveal party... do I take a gift?

Silly post I know but I am just a little stumped.  I always take something to a party... bottle of wine, small gift, something! but I have no idea what I am supposed to take to this party. 

If you have been to one of these parties, did you take a gift? if so, what?  (this is for baby #2 so they have all the basics covered.)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Gender reveal party... do I take a gift?

• When in doubt take a dessert. Cookies or brownies or mini cupcakes always go over well. I wouldn't buy anything for the baby because you will problably want to get something gender specfic once you know / meet the baby.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I've never been to one of these parties (I think they are a new phenomenon?), and I'm not planning on throwing one. From what I understand, gifts are not typically expected. Is it a dinner party? What I usually do in these situations is ask the host if there is anything I can bring.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You could bring a little something for the host or hostess- but it's not mandatory at all.  If it were me, I might bring mini cupcakes with pink and blue frosting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • People have parties dedicated soley to revealing the gender of their baby??
  • nope just show your pretty little face! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelucy11111:
    People have parties dedicated soley to revealing the gender of their baby??

Yes... it is shocking, isn't it?

No you definitely shouldn't take a gift. If they're making that big of a deal about whether it is a boy or girl, the probably won't want anything gender neutral and you clearly won't know whether to get boy/girl stuff yet.  

• I haven't been to one of these yet, but I've heard of them and I've always thought it was just an excuse to get together with friends and family before baby comes, just for fun as opposed to a shower where you'd be expected to bring a gift.  I'd probably bring a dessert or snack item, same as I would to any get-together that wasn't a shower/birthday party/other gift occasion.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've just recently heard of these, and no offense to anyone who wants to have one but it sounds like a way to get gifts. I wouldn't bring anything, maybe just an appetizer or something :)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • imagelucy11111:
    People have parties dedicated soley to revealing the gender of their baby??
    yes. AWishness knows no bounds. 

OP: I wouldn't bring a gift. If gifts later turn out to be expected by the couple, you can give them a book on manners ;) 

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• I just went to my first gender party tonight and I didn't take anything and neither did anyone else... That I noticed anyway. It was just a fun get together with friends. I enjoyed it. Also, I figured I'll get them a gift for the baby shower, no need to now. Hope this helps!
  • I would take some flowers

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• How about buy a cute children's book. A classic, for example:  Goodnight Moon!
  • My personal opinion is yes, definitely bring a gift! Like you said, its always a nice gesture. And even if its not expected, I am sure the couple would be appreciative. I like the PP idea of a children's book. If they already have all the classics, you could get a newer children's book, or one of your favorites that they might not have. 

I wouldn't bring an appetizer or food, unless you check with them first. Just a thought based on previous party planning. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KingLEDKingLED member
    edited September 2014
    MrsPDX said:
    My personal opinion is yes, definitely bring a gift! Like you said, its always a nice gesture. And even if its not expected, I am sure the couple would be appreciative. I like the PP idea of a children's book. If they already have all the classics, you could get a newer children's book, or one of your favorites that they might not have. 

I wouldn't bring an appetizer or food, unless you check with them first. Just a thought based on previous party planning. 
    Seriously? Does no one look at dates or read the thread they're replying to?
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Oops definitely didn't notice the date! Just saw that it was on the recent topics...my apologies!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"