Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Ibuprofen for implantation cramps?

So I was 5 days late for AF and thought I was starting today because I was cramping like mad and started to spot a little, but I was cramping like I usually do for a major flow, but I've still only had a little pink spotting and some brownish discharge. I took some ibuprofen for the cramps because I thought I was safely back in the no-baby zone, but now I worry that it might have been implantation cramps/bleeding. If it was implantation, would the ibuprofen (I took 5!) cause an issue?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Ibuprofen for implantation cramps?

• Options
    First off, taking 5 is not good for you when you aren't pregnant.  You should not take any more than 800mg every 8 hours when you aren't pregnant and better not take it at all if you are.  Tylenol is the best option.  Ibuprofen isn't good but it is worse to take it later in pregnancy.  For your liver's sake drink a lot of water!!!!

"A man walking backwards does not see what lies ahead, only what he is leaving behind."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1-7/22/12 EDD: 4/8/13 It's a Boy!! Born 3/30/13
    BFP #2 2/3/14 EDD: 10/15/14 - My Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have an app that was keeping track of ovulation and fertile days and my cycle for me, so according to that I was definitely late. I just stopped bc in December and I've read on other posts that it takes some people a while to adjust with regular cycles after bc, even though last cycle was right to the day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    although if I ovulated later than I was supposed to (according to the first day of my last cycle) then, there could definitely be a chance.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageJMack827:
    I have an app that was keeping track of ovulation and fertile days and my cycle for me, so according to that I was definitely late. I just stopped bc in December and I've read on other posts that it takes some people a while to adjust with regular cycles after bc, even though last cycle was right to the day.

Unless you are temping/charting, the app isn't going to be accurate.  Those kinds of apps guestimate based on your cycle length but your O can change every cycle.  Temping is the best way to tell for sure.  Without temping, there's really no way of telling what is going on.

"A man walking backwards does not see what lies ahead, only what he is leaving behind."

• Options

That being said, I highly doubt that it's implantation bleeding.  It's super late in your cycle.  The reality is that when we're TTC, we notice a zillion symptoms a lot earlier at the end of the cycle--hoping that they're preggo symptoms when they're really just from AF.  You could be a few days early, meaning you're spotting now and AF is about to hit.  The exact thing happened to me last cycle--I probably wouldn't have even noticed the spotting if I wasn't TTC.  I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you're probably just experiencing some PMS.

Also, as others stated, try to stay away from advil/ibuprofen and all other NSAIDs (aleve/naproxen, too) if you're TTC--they can cause problems in creating a good uterine lining, therefore leading to implantation problems.  There's a supposed link in no ovulation, too.  Go for tylenol instead.

You're not out of it until AF shows her true face, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.  Sorry, hun. 

EDIT:  Because I'm an idiot, and I'm the one who wasn't reading right.  Sorry folks! 

• Options

Mostly I was worried about if the ibuprofen would affect a newly implanted embryo... more so than if it is possible that I could be pg. I know I shouldn't take advil if I'm pregnant, but I didn't know if anything would be affected this early on.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageUrbanLe1:

Where does it say she took 5?  Seriously, people--read OP's post!

That being said, I highly doubt that it's implantation bleeding.  It's super late in your cycle.  The reality is that when we're TTC, we notice a zillion symptoms a lot earlier at the end of the cycle--hoping that they're preggo symptoms when they're really just from AF.  You could be a few days early, meaning you're spotting now and AF is about to hit.  The exact thing happened to me last cycle--I probably wouldn't have even noticed the spotting if I wasn't TTC.  I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you're probably just experiencing some PMS.

Also, as others stated, try to stay away from advil/ibuprofen and all other NSAIDs (aleve/naproxen, too) if you're TTC--they can cause problems in creating a good uterine lining, therefore leading to implantation problems.  There's a supposed link in no ovulation, too.  Go for tylenol instead.

You're not out of it until AF shows her true face, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.  Sorry, hun. 

Sorry but if you read the paragraph, the last sentence states she took 5.  I have copied and pasted it below.  Read OP's post please.  Seriously

...would the ibuprofen (I took 5!) cause an issue?

• Options
    imageJMack827:

So I was 5 days late for AF and thought I was starting today because I was cramping like mad and started to spot a little, but I was cramping like I usually do for a major flow, but I've still only had a little pink spotting and some brownish discharge. I took some ibuprofen for the cramps because I thought I was safely back in the no-baby zone, but now I worry that it might have been implantation cramps/bleeding. If it was implantation, would the ibuprofen (I took 5!) cause an issue?

I believe this is where she states that she took 5.

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    imagewiggles527:
    imageUrbanLe1:

Sorry but if you read the paragraph, the last sentence states she took 5.  I have copied and pasted it below.  Read OP's post please.  Seriously

Hangs head in shame...sorry, folks.  Looks like I wasn't reading right!  I'm editing my post so I don't start a crazy storm, but I just wanted to say I was sorry. 

• Options
    imagelulamagoo:
    imageJMack827:

Yeah, I'm an idiot.  Completely.  Sorry about that.  ::runs away before people start throwing things:: 

• Options
    Also would just like to note that I'm not a crazy pill popper... I only take that much ibuprofen when I am cramping like crazy, at work, and need to function to do my job. I would love to be able to cuddle up with my heating pad and just a couple pills, but it's not always possible and I have to have some relief or I am not able to move.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageJMack827:

Mostly I was worried about if the ibuprofen would affect a newly implanted embryo... more so than if it is possible that I could be pg. I know I shouldn't take advil if I'm pregnant, but I didn't know if anything would be affected this early on.

I think one of the problems with ibuprofen while TTC is that it can interfere with implantation.
    If, on the off chance, you've already implanted, since you don't share a blood supply until later on, the ibuprofen is probably fine...

::The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar that even the ultimate fullfillment of that hope cannot fully erase:: Thomas Hardy

BFP #1: 07/08/11  EDD: 03/22/12  Missed miscarriage @ 8w: 08/11/11, stopped growing @ 6w6d
    BFP #2: 03/26/12  EDD: 12/07/12  We have a HB at 7w!! (04/20/12)  CSD born 12/12/12 
    BFP #3: 08/05/14  Chemical Pregnancy at 4w3d 08/06/14
    BFP #4: 10/02/14  EDD: 06/10/15  Miscarriage at 6w6d 10/22/14

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Options
    imageUrbanLe1:
    imagelulamagoo:
    imageJMack827:

Yeah, I'm an idiot.  Completely.  Sorry about that.  ::runs away before people start throwing things:: 

No worries!

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    imagelycih:
    imageJMack827:

I think one of the problems with ibuprofen while TTC is that it can interfere with implantation.
    If, on the off chance, you've already implanted, since you don't share a blood supply until later on, the ibuprofen is probably fine...

Thanks!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageUrbanLe1:
    imagewiggles527:
    imageUrbanLe1:

Hangs head in shame...sorry, folks.  Looks like I wasn't reading right!  I'm editing my post so I don't start a crazy storm, but I just wanted to say I was sorry. 

It happens to the best of us =)

• Options
    5!  can you say stomach bleeding!???
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor told me not to take ibuprofen at all while ttc.
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

• Options
    Did anyone else yell NO!! really loud at the screen just now? Just curious...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Don't take 5.  And if you really want to, please consult a doctor first.  You can do damage by taking more drugs than you are supposed to.  As a PP said, drink a LOT of water because your organs are working overtime.

I like taking ibuprofen for period cramps too because it's like the only thing that works.  I'm in the habit of taking a cheap internet pregnancy test before I take anything toward the end of my cycle.  If the test is negative I allow the Ibuprofen.  I would suggest doing this at least for some kind of peace of mind. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I went to my primary for a horribly painful ear infection and he told me since I was TTC, I could not take any ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.  I rolled my eyes and told him I was on CD1.  He said I still shouldn't, which I thought odd, but whatev.  His reasoning for not taking it while TTC-it makes you bleed more and can cause a greater chance of miscarriage. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So, as it turns out, it was AF (thank goodness!!) really we aren't ttc until June, but I went ahead and stopped bc in Dec (mainly because it was causing depression) Though now that  my cycles are being somewhat irregular I will have to try to stay better on top of things! Thanks all for the advice!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"