June 2011 Moms

Do you wear baby?

I feel like I'm the only one im my whole town! I rarely see other mommas carrying  their LO's like this!

[Poll]

Re: Do you wear baby?

• I chose often, but it's really DH that does the wearing these days since my belly gets in the way.  I do occasionally wear her on my back around the house.  We never really use the (3) strollers we have!  We live in NYC so it's just much easier to get around without it.  She's always in the Ergo.  A few months ago when I wasn't so big and she was on bm only, she was in the sling all the time when we were out.  It was awesome.  All I had to pack was some diapers and wipes in the pocket of the sling and I'd be on my way.  Now that she's on formula and I'm a huge pregnant lady, things are a bit more complicated.

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

• I had to say occasionally, but that's only because Ry is really getting too big for the moby.  After more than 30 minutes or so it needs to be tightened but I still always bring it with me because she inevitably gets sick of being in the stroller or shopping cart and wants to be carried.  I'm hoping that with my new mei tai from Bubamara Kids I can wear her more :)!

I live in northern NJ and I never see anyone baby wearing either, sometimes people look at me, but usually they just smile. 

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would like to, but I never bought a wrap or carrier.  It seems like so much money to spend and what if I don't like it/it doesn't fit me well? For some reason I find it kind of intimidating.

If anybody has a suggestion for an affordable (under $80) and comfy one let me know. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's going to be more common here than in the general public for sure. Most of my mom friends only know about baby bjorns so they rarely wear them since they hurt their backs!
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I wear baby everyday.  He loves it and I'm able to get a lot done around the house.  I also love wearing it to the store, mall, etc.  So much easier than the stroller which he usually wants to get out of anyway after 30 minutes or so.

Edited to say I also lost a lot of weight because of baby carrying.  Sometimes I even do lunges, haha.  Seriously though, it's done wonders for my weight. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Only occassionally now that she has gotten too heavy for me and my back has been hurting. I wore her a lot when she was little. Now, I get DH to wear her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wear DS daily... LOL... I wear him everywhere. When I am out people look at me like I have two heads. Especially that I am wrapping. I enjoy the attention to be honest. I do the dishes, cook dinner, nurse and take a shower (I have a mesh ring sling that I just recently got). I think it has become an hobby of my to learn new carries with a wrap. I remember people tell me that he won't be independant if I 'carry'/'hold' him all the time, well I think he is the most independent baby that I know... When he is down he plays by himself.

My DH feels like this obsessions started because when I was pregnant I had SPD and was put on bedrest at 27 weeks and I couldn't 'carry' him, had to spend my days in bed. So he feels like this is me making up for loss time... 

Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• It's been a while since I've worn her.  I used to wear her when we went shopping but now she likes to sit in the front of the cart.  We haven't gone anywhere else that's warranted me wearing her either.
  • imageSgt M's Wife:
    It's been a while since I've worn her.  I used to wear her when we went shopping but now she likes to sit in the front of the cart.  We haven't gone anywhere else that's warranted me wearing her either.

Me too. I wear her around the house sometimes, but she often prefers to play on the floor (if I'm cooking dinner or whatnot). I carry her sometimes to do laundry or pick up or other little chores.

I used to wear her every time we went shopping, but now sometimes she likes to sit in the cart. It's probably 50/50.

With the nice weather, I need to start taking her and the dog out on more walks. I just can't quite wrap my head around the fact that it's February and also nice enough to spend time outside... 

• imageMolly&:
    I'm not a huge fan of my Ergo. I just ordered a Mei Tai, so hopefully I'll have more luck with that! 

I've started to buy one a few times. I've even went to the website twice, picked one out and put it in my cart but then I can't bring myself to order it b/c I'm afraid I won't like it...i might cave!!

• I live in Charlotte and I see people wearing their LOs all the time.
  • I voted sometimes. Although I haven't worn her in a while outside the house. I do sometimes inside with the bjorn but that hurts my back quickly. I used to always wear her in my sling (loved) but I haven't in 2 months. I tried to do a hip carry and it just felt like she was going to fall out. I would love to try the moby but don't feel like spending the money. I also wouldn't mind getting a mei tei but once again.. don't feel like spending the money since I seem to be getting by without it. I do however secretly get jealous of all of you babywearers! haha. I swore I would be a babywearer and I have slacked severely on it!
  • I replied "occasionally" but I'm actually starting to wear Maya more now- in fact I'm wearing her right now!

I used to use my Ergo only when grocery shopping and occasionally for walks.

Now that I'm on base, it seems like I am walking more, going to more places, etc so it is getting more use.  Maya is falling asleep in it easily so I think I will start using it more in the house (like now) for her naps b/c she won't nap unless I'm holding her- and wearing her frees me up to...oh, wait- I'm still bumping through her nap!

• I wear DD all the time.  She is actually currently on my back in my Beco Butterfly II.  I do see other BWing moms, but it isn't super common.  I wore her on my back at the store for the first time yesterday and I got some weird looks.  Oh well!  I have a Boba, a BBII, and a ring sling.  The Boba is my workhorse, but the BBII is great for when I need to do an easy back carry.  The ring sling is great for NIP.
  • I would wear her in the moby occasionally when she was little. She would always end up sweating up a storm. We also had an infantino carrier handed down. I tried that a couple times at the grocery store and I never liked the way it held her. I think me and her were uncomfortable. I used the moby once a few months ago at the store and by mid trip she was falling out and it was not easy to rewrap in the middle of the store with a baby that could really sit in the cart. I gave up after that.

I feel if I had a better carrier/wrap that I would wear her more. But, I don't want to spend the money, especially since she seems to be fine in the stroller/cart when we are out.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wear her all the time, around the house, at the store, always at church. I use a mamaroo , hhomemade mei tai, and a home made ring sling. Next im going to try to make a soft structure one like an ergo or a becco.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMolly&:
    imageNickiechan:

I wear DS daily... LOL... I wear him everywhere. When I am out people look at me like I have two heads. Especially that I am wrapping. I enjoy the attention to be honest. I do the dishes, cook dinner, nurse and take a shower (I have a mesh ring sling that I just recently got). I think it has become an hobby of my to learn new carries with a wrap. I remember people tell me that he won't be independant if I 'carry'/'hold' him all the time, well I think he is the most independent baby that I know... When he is down he plays by himself.

My DH feels like this obsessions started because when I was pregnant I had SPD and was put on bedrest at 27 weeks and I couldn't 'carry' him, had to spend my days in bed. So he feels like this is me making up for loss time... 

I wish I could be as cool as you. Seriously, I want to come to your house and have you teach me your baby wearing ways.  I got a slow start since DD was almost 10lbs at birth and I had a c-section and then she went into the pavlik harness for her hips at 9 days old.  But now that I'm healed and she's out of the harness I'm going to make a sincere effort! 

Where are you from? maybe we can meet up? I love showing how to babywear! The one mama I met at a wedding that showed me wrapping has enabled me to the extreme. she also warned me that it would be an addiction and it has... :)
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• It's definitely not common to "wear" your baby where I live. I get a lot of stares when I wear DD in my Ergo, which I do basically anytime we're at the grocery store or out running errands, and then around the house when she's getting tired. It helps her to wind down.

She seems to fuss much less in the Ergo than in the stroller. I've gotten a lot of smiles from people when they see her in the carrier though, so maybe they think it's neat, but it's just not common around here.

I have a Baby Hawk Mei Tei, too, but I liked it much better when she was little. The fabric was lighter and worked better in the FL heat, but the Ergo is more comfortable to me now that DD is heavier. 

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • imageJills83:

I would like to, but I never bought a wrap or carrier.  It seems like so much money to spend and what if I don't like it/it doesn't fit me well? For some reason I find it kind of intimidating.

If anybody has a suggestion for an affordable (under $80) and comfy one let me know. 

Bubamara Kids (founded by our own Saz!) has affordable and beautiful Mei Ta carriers. I got mine today and used it to take Max visiting at the hospital where he was born. It was comfy for both of us and got a lot of compliments from the nurses and mamas who saw it!

peace,
    katharine

Book-Kitten blog

• I would be lost without my ring sling! My infant carrier only went to 22lbs and when he was 20lbs at 4 months, I couldn't carry that thing around anymore. I got a ring sling because I needed something quick and adjustable for shopping, bringing DD into preschool, walks to the park etc. the sling is perfect because I can adjust it to fit over whatever we are wearing and it's fast and comfortable. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMolly&:
    imagejanbc06:

imageMolly&:
    I'm not a huge fan of my Ergo. I just ordered a Mei Tai, so hopefully I'll have more luck with that! 

I've started to buy one a few times. I've even went to the website twice, picked one out and put it in my cart but then I can't bring myself to order it b/c I'm afraid I won't like it...i might cave!!

I had been doing that for months.  I'll let you know in a few weeks if I love or regret my decision!  

That would be awesome! Thanks!

• imagebookkitten:
    imageJills83:

I would like to, but I never bought a wrap or carrier.  It seems like so much money to spend and what if I don't like it/it doesn't fit me well? For some reason I find it kind of intimidating.

Bubamara Kids (founded by our own Saz!) has affordable and beautiful Mei Ta carriers. I got mine today and used it to take Max visiting at the hospital where he was born. It was comfy for both of us and got a lot of compliments from the nurses and mamas who saw it!

I've been watching Saz's FB posts and thinking about buying one from her!  I would love to support a fellow June mama too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebookkitten:
    imageJills83:

I am definitely going to check out her site! I would much rather buy from her than some random site!

• I would LOVE to wear her more often (I used to wear her when the weather was warmer and when she wasn't so heavy) but I find it doesn't really work for me.  I guess cause it just feels awkward when we are both all bundled up for the cold weather...and I'm not really walking distance to anything...but she does/did love it.
  • I wear DS all the time.  He has a tolerance of about 15 minutes in a stroller and 10 in a shopping cart.

I loved the Moby for the NB stage, then moved to the Ergo.  LOVE the Ergo for front carries, but can't seem to master the back carry without help.  DS doesn't care for the back carry in the Ergo, but loves it in the Beco Butterfly II.

To whomever posted the Mamabargains deal, thank you!  I'm now able to get more done around the house! 

TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • imageMolly&:
    imageNickiechan:
    imageMolly&:
    imageNickiechan:

I wear DS daily... LOL... I wear him everywhere. When I am out people look at me like I have two heads. Especially that I am wrapping. I enjoy the attention to be honest. I do the dishes, cook dinner, nurse and take a shower (I have a mesh ring sling that I just recently got). I think it has become an hobby of my to learn new carries with a wrap. I remember people tell me that he won't be independant if I 'carry'/'hold' him all the time, well I think he is the most independent baby that I know... When he is down he plays by himself.

I wish I could be as cool as you. Seriously, I want to come to your house and have you teach me your baby wearing ways.  I got a slow start since DD was almost 10lbs at birth and I had a c-section and then she went into the pavlik harness for her hips at 9 days old.  But now that I'm healed and she's out of the harness I'm going to make a sincere effort! 

Where are you from? maybe we can meet up? I love showing how to babywear! The one mama I met at a wedding that showed me wrapping has enabled me to the extreme. she also warned me that it would be an addiction and it has... :)

I would love to meet up! I actually may not be that far from you depending on how central you are.  We're just west of Philadelphia in Upper Darby. 

About 2 hours away from me... I'm right outside of Harrisburg, PA... I always wanted to go to the King of Prussia mall!
    Nickie

• KOP would be an awesome place to wear baby! hahaha. That place is a work out!!
  • imagejanbc06:
    imagebookkitten:
    imageJills83:

I am definitely going to check out her site! I would much rather buy from her than some random site!

I got mine today also and it is GORGEOUS!  I didn't go anywhere and I'm working tomorrow, but Wednesday I'm going to play around with it more and attempt to use it.  I did try the front carry which was fine (felt like the moby) and I even managed to do my first back carry by myself and Rylee started to fall asleep in it lol.  I'll be posting pics on Bubamara later in the week as soon as I get a chance :) 

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only do on occasion and only when were out and about, never around the house. Well actually I did have to wear DS a couple of times while I was babysitting because he wouldn't let me put him down or walk away without crying and the little girl needed lunch. But DS really likes shopping carts so I put him in one of those over wearing him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"