High-Risk Pregnancy

Is stevia safe during pregnancy?

Does anyone know if stevia is safe during pregnancy?  With GD I feel so deprived.  I'm sick of drinking just water.  So, lately I have been having decaf coffee with stevia.  I'm wondering if I should cut it out though since it is an artificial sweetener. 

Re: Is stevia safe during pregnancy?

• In the paperwork I received, it says it's "unconfirmed" as to whether or not it is safe.  However, my dietitian said in moderation it's ok.  The only one she said for me to avoid for sure was saccharin.  I have 1-2 drinks a day with Splenda, because water is getting boring (even with lemon).  HTH.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I was told splenda and stevia are fine
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagerichards897:
    I was told splenda and stevia are fine

this. I was told if it says Stevia, Truvia, Splenda, or sucralose on the label, I can have it in moderation. 

Married: 10.28.2004 BFP 1: 2006, m/c 5 weeks BFP 2: 2008, m/c 10 weeks BFP 3: 2009, m/c 6 weeks BFP 4: July 15, 2011 Welcome Parker! Feb. 19, 2012 image
  • My doctor said that Splenda is the only artificial sweetener that does not cross through the placenta to the baby.  As to whether or not the others are actually harmful to the baby, they don't know for sure.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • All of my sources say Stevia has not been tested. Splenda is ok. Stevia has a nasty aftertaste to me, so I don't use it anyway.
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • imageSaintDorothyMantooth:

imagerichards897:

this. I was told if it says Stevia, Truvia, Splenda, or sucralose on the label, I can have it in moderation. 

This is what my diatician told me also.  I have soda with stevia that I ordered on Amazon-it is call Zevia I think.  I also found some sugar free Oreo's-I am pretty sure they are made with Splenda.  They are both nice for a little treat.

• imageSaintDorothyMantooth:

imagerichards897:

This is what my diatician told me also.  I have soda with stevia that I ordered on Amazon-it is call Zevia I think.  I also found some sugar free Oreo's-I am pretty sure they are made with Splenda.  They are both nice for a little treat.

• According to the American Pregnancy Association, it is:

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/artificialsweetner.htm

I've been taking it (max of two little packets daily) - so I hope it is! 

• rominamqrominamq member
    edited October 2013
    I don't get it. All of the sweeteners, Splenda included, are artificial. Stevia isn't. And, Stevia has been around for years in South America, used in medicine to sweeten it. Now the FDA says it "hasn't been around long enough to know the harmful effects". Well, the FDA also approves colors in foods, which has been known to be cancerous. And God knows what else the FDA approves of that is not good for us in the long term.
    We will never know if Stevia is good for us. I'm sure having a little bit a day won't hurt. I will stay away from all other sweeteners since they are artificial. Don't believe Splenda is made from sugar, it is not! Look it up! **The finished product contains no elements of natural sugar. It is made in a chemical plant, not in a sugar cane or beet field. Splenda is a highly processed chemical. Despite advertisements stating “Made from Sugar so it Tastes like Sugar”, which attempt to confuse consumers, Splenda is not natural.**
    Btw, Splenda always gave me stomach pain. Makes you wonder...
  • I'm on my third and have used aspartame, Splenda, and stevia in moderation with all three, as approved by my doctors. They pretty much define moderation as 1 serving a day, but I try to stick with just a few servings a week.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use stevia in moderation. My doctor said it's fine.
  • stevia is not artificial so i dont know why it wouldnt be ok. it is a plant and you can buy kind with no chemicals mixed in it like from trader joes

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• I don't know why "its not artificial" means something is healthy. Many things that are natural are not healthy. Sugar is natural, why not just have a full serving of sugar then? Oh wait...

I'd say ask your doctor and go from there.

FWIW, my dietician told me that Splenda is the only studied non-sugar sweetener that is shown not to cross the placenta (although there have been recent studies that find that to possibly be false) and it should be fine. She said Stevia was not studied to a major extent, but as long as I'm not eating that all day every day, it should be okay.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"