Pre-School and Daycare

Lining up at 2am to register for preschool??!!

I just went to all the open houses for preschools in my area (Northern Virginia) and getting in is SUPER competitive! One director told me that parents start lining up to register at 2am and registration opens at 7am. That's just crazy! All the other places have 2-3 spots open and they're getting hundreds of applications and having a lottery. I put our name in 5 different preschools (each had a non-refundable deposit of $60-$85!) just to get my name in the lottery with no guarantee that we're getting in anywhere. I am really surprised by how crazy this process is, even though I shouldn't be because I know our area is competitive. Sigh. Has anybody had to go through such craziness to register their kid in preschool?

Re: Lining up at 2am to register for preschool??!!

• I'm in NYC. The application process around here was more in-depth than applying for college. It involved parent interviews and child "playdates." And application deadlines and a set date where all schools send admissions offers. It was beyond insane.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm in Northern Va too.  It is insane around here when it comes to preschools.  There are some preschools around where I live that friends have camped out overnight to turn in applications.  DD goes to one of the local high school's preschool program.  The high school kids plan and teach the school under the supervision of a teacher.  You should look into some of the high schools around you to see if any have a program like this.  She absolutely loves it.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepenguingrrl:
    I'm in NYC. The application process around here was more in-depth than applying for college. It involved parent interviews and child "playdates." And application deadlines and a set date where all schools send admissions offers. It was beyond insane.

Wow, that's heavy-duty! I would expect the NYC area to be competitive and I was actually wondering about that and thinking how could it possibly get more competitive than lining up at 2am....haha. Yep, parent interviews and child playdates is waaay more intense! 

• imagecmh06:

I'm in Northern Va too.  It is insane around here when it comes to preschools.  There are some preschools around where I live that friends have camped out overnight to turn in applications.  DD goes to one of the local high school's preschool program.  The high school kids plan and teach the school under the supervision of a teacher.  You should look into some of the high schools around you to see if any have a program like this.  She absolutely loves it.  

High schools huh? I never heard of it. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up!  

• I'm in Loudoun County.  I know Fairfax has the program too, as I was in the program 18 years ago when I was in school.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Last year DS1 went to a private school (we moved or he would still be there) in order to get in there was a $75 application fee, 2 screenings- the first was one on one teacher-child after school hours (I was there just not involved), the other was in the classroom with the current class for a morning session ( to watch the interactions), we then had to attend 3 of 5 "play dates" which were only the incoming students, and one parent conference which was an informative session.
  • I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico and we had to "camp out" to get a spot. The school hung up numbers on their gate at 6 a.m. DH got in line at 3 in the morning and was still the 9th person in line. The first lady in line got there at 11 p.m. the night before. So insane! We do love the school though so it was worth it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not in my area.  It use to be like that before the economy took a dive now almost all preschools have openings.  The only ones that have a waiting list are government subsidized, but that is just a waiting list no lines or interviews.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I didn't encounter that at all when I was looking for a preschool nor have I heard of it in my area. I"m sure it exists in some small pockets but not on a wide scale.  When we looked we encountered a few waitlists for preferred schedules but all teh schools we looked at were rolling admission once there was an opening.

I think part of it is that in our area, most families have two working parents in order to afford to live here so most kids have a full time care arrangment that isn't compatible with going to a stand alone part-time preschool. Maybe the ones that do exist are competitive but since we couldn't use them due to scheduling, I'll never know.  :)

• OMG - I would hate that.  I am so glad that its not like that where I live.  Sorry - not what you are asking but I just get so amazed when I hear stuff like this for preschool.  The PreK program that my older DD is currently in and my younger DD will most likely be in next year (lottery is held on March 2) is run very differently - applications can be picked up next week and need to be mailed to the office by March 1st and then on March 2nd they do a drawing for the 30 spots at my DD's school (this is run through the school districts Early Childhood Program and I think 3 of the 6 elementary schools have the program - the other 2 have 20 spots but our school is pretty popular so they have 2 classrooms).  The only reason there would be less than 30 spots is if someone decided to have their kid repeat the program and hold off on going to kindy for a year.  I did that with my DD last year as did 1 other student.  Anyway, they do the lottery in 2 waves.  The 1st is for anyone that is in-district or currently already an open enrolled family (has older kids already in the district) and then if there are still spots open, they do a lottery out of the new open enrolled applications.  My school has a 40% open enrollment rate.  Last year they had 40 applications for the 30 spots but they had some families that didn't accept their spots.  They really run this just like they do the application process for full day kindy at our school (27 spots max).
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Which is why DD is going to a private school for pre-K and possibly staying there. I would rather pay than deal with that competitive B.S. No
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • I am in Boston, and all the top private preschools are really competitive.  DH and I have had to go on multiple parent interviews, and DS has gone on "playdates" or 1-on-1 assessment visits with the classroom teachers of each of the schools we looked at. 

I had NO idea 6 months ago that it was like this.  It really blindsided me.  Some of the schools flat-out wanted to know what we (DH and I) could bring to the preschool to "enrich the community" (ahem, money, fame, fortune?).  I think I failed that interview.  Also, some of the applications are ridiculous.  Pages long.  It IS like applying for college.

We get our acceptance/rejection letters in March.  At this point I am just hoping DS gets into ONE of the area schools. On the plus side, if we survive the application process, DC #2 will be automatically accepted.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Yes, just did that today!  I got there at 645am, and people were practically sleeping in their chairs out front.  I could not believe it!  I waited abotu 2 hours and got one of the last spots...crazy?!  Felt like I was at a black friday sale, and was super excited to get her in though! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sounds like NoVA to me!
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • I just registered my son for a 2 days a week 3 hour class at the school he goes to now.  He is in a toddle class with other kids close to his age.  Because I enrolled him in that 1 day a week class we are automatically first in line to register for preschool.  It's a $50 non refundable deposit, and then it's $145 a month.  I live in a smaller community and this is the only preschool in the area.  I debated on not doing it this year since we'll be having a new baby in August. But then realized I'd get 3 hours to be just with the baby 2 days a week. 

That's crazy that parents line up at 2 am.  I can't even imagine, I just hope we don't move before he is set to start Pre K because we also already have a guaranteed spot in that class as well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Our's is in our public elementary school.  It was easy to get DD (before the state budget cuts).  Since I had her in, I got early registration for DS1. He was the 6th kids registered (60 slots).  They cut the program and slots (and staff), its not as good this year) but he would not have likely gotten in had it not been for DD getting in easily.  He is in for the 4 year old program next year.  I don't see them keeping the 3 year old program unless the state offers up more $$.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"