Attachment Parenting

Homemade wraps

I've been thinking of buying fabric and trying to make a basic wrap to wear this summer. I want a Bali Breeze but I don't want to break the bank. Has anyone tried this? I also found this link:

https://www.hobomama.com/2010/07/hot-weather-babywearing-summer-babies.html

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Homemade wraps

• I made one, but I should have made it longer, so then I never used it. It's not hard (just finish the ends), but you want to pick a good fabric for it.
  • From what I've been researching there's not much to it, like you said: just finish the ends. Thanks for the info!
  • Loading the player...
  • You do have to be careful with the material you use, and some are more comforable than others.

Have you looked at the DIY section of thebabywearer.com?  There are some great references there for materials to look for, and also some to avoid.

Good luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If you like the Bali Breeze, you can get something very similar(gauze wrap) by purchasing the desired length of crinkle cotton at the fabric store, cutting/tearing it to the right width, and hemming/serging all around.  It's generally not as prettily patterned, but does come in a variety of colors, and you can always dye it yourself(or buy pre-dyed--I saw some gorgeous batiked and tie-dyed gauze-type yardage at JoAnn's today).  For something a little heftier, Osnaburg makes a great option, as does Birdseye Twill Diaper Cloth(which has the advantage of being about the right width to start with, so you have ready-made rails).  Both of these work roughly like a "store-bought" woven, and while they are pretty plain-looking, being off-white or white, they make wonderful blank canvases to go wild with dye if you like.  You can even stencil on a middle-marker...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the advice, it really helps! I just found out there is a Joanns in the next town so I will def. check out that they've got! And yes, a middle marker will be a must for me lol :P 

• The wrap in my avi is actually a good example of what you can do with some osnaburg and a little dye.  It'd be hard to see in that picture, but the middle marker is a trio of dragonflies, stenciled on with Jacquard fabric paint(so it's got a nice shimmer to it, but is nice and soft), and there's another at the end of each of the tails.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That sounds so cute! From what I can see in your pic, it looks very pretty.
  • I have made a few, I actually sell them. I make them about 5.5 meters long, and at least 20 inches wide. I add a fun fabric to the middle, and on the ends. I usually use cotton jersey, you need something with some stretch but not too much and not too heavy!

Here's the most recent one I've made.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"