May 2011 Moms

Qs for my BLWers

I haven't read the book because my city has 1 copy at the public library I've been on a waiting list since September, I'm currently number 35! and I'm too cheap to buy the book online. I try going on the forum at the website but I was too overwhelmed with so many postings...anywho, I have a couple questions. Can I give DS fish? we eat a lot of salmon and tilapia mostly and I've been offering the veggies but I think he is getting bored. Berries, I've heard people say to stay away from strawberries, but what about the other berries my store had organic blackberries on sale so I stocked up. Lastly, eggs, I know BLWers eat eggs but I used to have an intolerance to eggs as a kid, which I outgrew, should I hold off on the eggs just in case?

Re: Qs for my BLWers

• Fish is really healthy. Obviously, make sure there are no bones. Shellfish a lot of people wait until 1 for.

Berries I'd do. 

You should probably ask your pedi on the eggs, for your case. It might be worth holding off on, or you might just want to know what to look for and do if there's a reaction.

• As a note- most people who are not BLWers are giving their babies normal food now too.

I just did salmon for the first time today and LO liked it a lot.  I planned on waiting for her 9 month appointment before doing eggs (just yolks until 1 year).  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageoooCarrieB:

As a note- most people who are not BLWers are giving their babies normal food now too.

I just did salmon for the first time today and LO liked it a lot.  I planned on waiting for her 9 month appointment before doing eggs (just yolks until 1 year).  

It's just that when you do BLW you have to take into consideration the texture of foods and how to serve it. That's why I asked the BLWers.

• imageSteph&Harry08:
    imageoooCarrieB:

As a note- most people who are not BLWers are giving their babies normal food now too.

It's just that when you do BLW you have to take into consideration the texture of foods and how to serve it. That's why I asked the BLWers.

But at this age, you kind of don't :) And if you do, common sense tells you to do "sticks" or "halves" or "small bits." Isn't it kinda the same at this point??

We are serving salmon, tilapia, bananas, bagels, pears, sweet pots, apples, bits of steak/chicken/pork/beef.  Noodles, string cheese, eggs, avocados, tomatoes, cucumbers, steamed carrots... Name it and she's had it. 

Still....not a single tooth.  She loves her sippy too!

This whole BLW thing is great, but let's all be respectful of the fact that by 8-9-10 months we are all feeding our kids the same things.  This BLW thing didn't exist with my son, so while I respect your methods, your kid isn't somehow above the rest of the kids his age at this point. Which, by the way, you sound a lot like that's the case....educate me if I'm being dumb, though.  I want to understand this reasoning. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Generally, a BLW baby will be ahead of the curve on fine motor skills at this point. That's what happens when they practice 3 times a day while their peers sit there and get spoon fed. Yes, this probably evens out within a couple more months.

BLW is also a different philosophy, though. I trust my baby to eat what he needs. I don't coax him to eat (not even "one more bite") if he doesn't feel like it. I just offer him some stuff, and if he wants to eat nothing but carrot today, that's cool. I don't have to break out a jar of something even it out.

I do realize that most (but not all, there are freaked out "OMG how do I give a baby solid food when they GAG and are going to CHOKE" posts every day on 6-9) parents have moved on to some finger foods. The serving method is the same (well, except for the choking police that dice everything), but the underlying philosophy around child-led eating will always be different.

• imageLisa Frank:
    imageSteph&Harry08:
    imageoooCarrieB:

But at this age, you kind of don't :) And if you do, common sense tells you to do "sticks" or "halves" or "small bits." Isn't it kinda the same at this point??

We are serving salmon, tilapia, bananas, bagels, pears, sweet pots, apples, bits of steak/chicken/pork/beef.  Noodles, string cheese, eggs, avocados, tomatoes, cucumbers, steamed carrots... Name it and she's had it. 

Still....not a single tooth.  She loves her sippy too!

This whole BLW thing is great, but let's all be respectful of the fact that by 8-9-10 months we are all feeding our kids the same things.  This BLW thing didn't exist with my son, so while I respect your methods, your kid isn't somehow above the rest of the kids his age at this point. Which, by the way, you sound a lot like that's the case....educate me if I'm being dumb, though.  I want to understand this reasoning. 

Actually DS is ahead of some kids. It is a fact that BWLers will do better with whole pieces sooner than a just-puree kid. If you are serving in sticks you are in fact doing BLW. My two girlfriends, their babies are both 10 mo., have been strictly on mush, it is now that their moms are introducing puffs and the such and the kids gag and push it out with their tongues, which is what BLWers do at 6 month old. DS does not gag or "choke" anymore.

BLWers learn to move the food around their mouths and in the beginning they don't even swallow, there's little ingestion going on as opposed to being fed a whole jar. They are in control of what they can manage. And as Token said it's a philosophy, you let your kids experiment with food, with just about anything from the start and you share what you are eating making the process easy and laid back. You don't have to be mashing and freezing and cook separately for baby. No one around me does BLW, my mom almost had a heart attack when at 6 months DS was sucking on a chicken wing or would eat a whole steak fry shaped piece of toast.

Yeah I guess at some point all kids are at the same level but the point is the process is reversed. Puree kids: swallow, chew, move pieces to the back of throat, then swallow, BLWers: move food around mouth, chew, move pieces to back of throat then swallow.

BLWer:

Puree:

• BLW is also a different philosophy, though. I trust my baby to eat what he needs. I don't coax him to eat (not even "one more bite") if he doesn't feel like it. I just offer him some stuff, and if he wants to eat nothing but carrot today, that's cool. I don't have to break out a jar of something even it out.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. Just because we started with pur?es doesn't mean I forced my baby to eat when she is clearly done. C'mon now, Token, why would you think that only those doing BLW are like this? 

~~~I am MrsPLW71~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

My Birth Story
  • wow. I'm sorry. I guess I didn't realize that my baby is really slow and stupid because I started her off with purees.

Actually she eats most solid food like a pro at almost 9 months with no teeth. No choking, no gagging, nothing. She enjoys her food and I enjoy mealtimes with her.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I hope that parents that feed purees do it in a respectful, sensitive way.

But lots don't.

And you need to be secure enough in your choices that you don't care if I generalize about those other people that do silly things like make airplane noises and try to finish the jar.

• And then you have my poor child that has always done a mix of 'real food' and 'mush.' However, will she fit in???? Crying

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagetokenhoser:

I hope that parents that feed purees do it in a respectful, sensitive way.

But lots don't.

And you need to be secure enough in your choices that you don't care if I generalize about those other people that do silly things like make airplane noises and try to finish the jar.

I am very secure in my choice, I just hate when people say their choice is based on something that is not a fact. 

What might be the "norm" in your life, isn't always the same for others. I do not know anybody who "forces" their child to eat, whether it be purees or anything else. 

So what this tells me is that you choose to do BLW because if you did purees, you'd have to force your child to finish the jar.  (A jar, which is good for 2 to 3 days after it's opened).

My Birth Story
  • image2BlackCats:
    imagetokenhoser:

But lots don't.

I am very secure in my choice, I just hate when people say their choice is based on something that is not a fact. 

What might be the "norm" in your life, isn't always the same for others. I do not know anybody who "forces" their child to eat, whether it be purees or anything else. 

So what this tells me is that you choose to do BLW because if you did purees, you'd have to force your child to finish the jar.  (A jar, which is good for 2 to 3 days after it's opened).

I get what you both mean. Sure, Token was making a generalization but IMHO anytime a parent does the airplane with the spoon or uses the "just one more bite" is in fact forcing the baby to eat, forcing doesn't mean shoving the food down their throats.

I think from what I have experienced must puree parents have this notion of the kids need the food as nourishment therefore feeling pressured--for lack of a better word, to feed a variety of purees and for the kid to be able to eat a "substantial" amount, feeling like they have to have three "meals" a day, that sort of thing, forcing or not. But with BLW we feel less pressured for them to eat. If DS only wants to eat today 5 blackberries than so be it, he is still EBFing and on demand which is all the nourishment he needs at least until he is one. So I think this is what Token was refering to.

• imageSteph&Harry08:
    image2BlackCats:
    imagetokenhoser:

But lots don't.

I get what you both mean. Sure, Token was making a generalization but IMHO anytime a parent does the airplane with the spoon or uses the "just one more bite" is in fact forcing the baby to eat, forcing doesn't mean shoving the food down their throats.

I think from what I have experienced must puree parents have this notion of the kids need the food as nourishment therefore feeling pressured--for lack of a better word, to feed a variety of purees and for the kid to be able to eat a "substantial" amount, feeling like they have to have three "meals" a day, that sort of thing, forcing or not. But with BLW we feel less pressured for them to eat. If DS only wants to eat today 5 blackberries than so be it, he is still EBFing and on demand which is all the nourishment he needs at least until he is one. So I think this is what Token was refering to.

Pretty much.

Also: once again, I don't care if I offend people when I'm not being deliberately offensive. I'm not going to stop having opinions. I'm not going to write page long disclaimers on every opinion I do have. And I truly do believe that there is a philosophy of feeding behind BLW that traditional feeding generally doesn't include. 

• imagetokenhoser:
    imageSteph&Harry08:
    image2BlackCats:
    imagetokenhoser:

But lots don't.

Pretty much.

Also: once again, I don't care if I offend people when I'm not being deliberately offensive. I'm not going to stop having opinions. I'm not going to write page long disclaimers on every opinion I do have. And I truly do believe that there is a philosophy of feeding behind BLW that traditional feeding generally doesn't include. 

Token, if you remember, I know you from MM ~ I know how you are on the boards.

I would seriously hope that most people know that meals under 12 mos are just for practice and a babies main nutrition comes from their bottles/boobs. 

Anyway, go ahead and make yourself feel better about your feeding choices by looking down on others who choose differently assuming they have ill-intentions.  Obviously, it's a "hole in one" decision for you. Wink

My Birth Story
  • Okay, I read all of that and I still don't get it.  haha. None of my kids were force-fed.  When we were doing purees, both of my children would close their mouths to show they were done and that was it.  We did purees for about 2 months total with both kids. Then finger foods. It's all my daughter has been eating since a few weeks ago.  Question though: Eventually your kids will need to use silverware. Would you mind explaning how that is intro'd with this BLW thing?? I can just see a whole generation of kids that eat with their hands.  Wink

Both of my kids were crawling by 8 months, my son walked at 10 and his sister is set down that path.  I guess I'm just not buying it, but if the method works for you, awesome. 

• Also, not that you guys care, but we've been using this spoon for yogurt and she's a professional self-feeder now.  How do you feed yogurt and that sort of thing?? Just on toast??

• imageLisa Frank:

Also, not that you guys care, but we've been using this spoon for yogurt and she's a professional self-feeder now.  How do you feed yogurt and that sort of thing?? Just on toast??

Fill up spoon. Hand to baby. Retrieve when empty by offering a new full spoon.

Probably exactly the way you do it.

Honestly... I don't think BLW is THE most important parenting decision ever. It's just one of those things that worked out awesome for us, so I tend to go a little evangelical over it. At the end of the day, I think we all feed our kids. Yay us.

• imageLisa Frank:

Okay, I read all of that and I still don't get it.  haha. None of my kids were force-fed.  When we were doing purees, both of my children would close their mouths to show they were done and that was it.  We did purees for about 2 months total with both kids. Then finger foods. It's all my daughter has been eating since a few weeks ago.  Question though: Eventually your kids will need to use silverware. Would you mind explaning how that is intro'd with this BLW thing?? I can just see a whole generation of kids that eat with their hands.  Wink

Both of my kids were crawling by 8 months, my son walked at 10 and his sister is set down that path.  I guess I'm just not buying it, but if the method works for you, awesome. 

What does that have to do with anything? Confused Good for them?

You're not buying it because you are set in your ways. Here, you can read for yourself.

Oh, and about using silverware, I intend to raise a little wild kid, no silverwear, ever. Confused

• imageSteph&Harry08:
    imageLisa Frank:

Okay, I read all of that and I still don't get it.  haha. None of my kids were force-fed.  When we were doing purees, both of my children would close their mouths to show they were done and that was it.  We did purees for about 2 months total with both kids. Then finger foods. It's all my daughter has been eating since a few weeks ago.  Question though: Eventually your kids will need to use silverware. Would you mind explaning how that is intro'd with this BLW thing?? I can just see a whole generation of kids that eat with their hands.  Wink

You're not buying it because you are set in your ways. Here, you can read for yourself.

Oh, and about using silverware, I intend to raise a little wild kid, no silverwear, ever. Confused

Dude, her kids are like so advanced there's no difference between fine and gross motor skills.

• imageSteph&Harry08:
    imageLisa Frank:

Haha. It doesn't. Which was precisely the point. :D

I think that there are some inflammatory statements and judgments here, and it's not necessary.  You asked a question that any person on this board could answer and you directed it at BLW, which only shows your ignorance. You're also missing out on creating a positive dialogue about how we ALL feed our kids.  (yes, my kid eats fish. And berries. Even straw ones!)

This behavior alienates other mothers, as it did here. And you've made some sorta jerk statements here. I couldn't care less how you feed your kid, but when you sound like a jerk in the process, I'm likely to speak up. 

• Oh, I'm sorry you felt left out when I directed my question to only BLWers. I won't ask anything, say, re: CDs either because moms using sposies could feel left out, or I won't ask anything re: BFing because FFers might feel left out, oh, I won't ask anything boys related, I'd hate to alienate moms of girls...

You are right though, it's ignorance, because I was never around kids until mine and the couple babies around us are jar fed, not even puffs, nothing solid and they are a good two months older than DS, so I'm sorry if I directed a question to a certain group that I can relate to, next time I have a question I'll make sure to ask you too.

• imageSteph&Harry08:

Oh, I'm sorry you felt left out when I directed my question to only BLWers. I won't ask anything, say, re: CDs either because moms using sposies could feel left out, or I won't ask anything re: BFing because FFers might feel left out, oh, I won't ask anything boys related, I'd hate to alienate moms of girls...

You are right though, it's ignorance, because I was never around kids until mine and the couple babies around us are jar fed, not even puffs, nothing solid and they are a good two months older than DS, so I'm sorry if I directed a question to a certain group that I can relate to, next time I have a question I'll make sure to ask you too.

Oh please.  Calm down, Steph.  People were offended here (and have been by other BLW posts). Just own it and move on.  

• Steph- you have a lot of opinions for someone who can't be bothered to even buy a book on the topic when there is a 35 person waiting list.

Token- I'm glad you embrace your feeding philosophy, but you are also the one still struggling with a lot of night feedings. I don't think kids wake up on their first birthday suddenly needing solids as their main form of nuitition. It's a slow process and a build up of incorporating more and more foods into their diets.  

• imagekewltif:

Token- I'm glad you embrace your feeding philosophy, but you are also the one still struggling with a lot of night feedings. I don't think kids wake up on their first birthday suddenly needing solids as their main form of nuitition. It's a slow process and a build up of incorporating more and more foods into their diets.  

You don't know how much my kid eats. He is eating more and more solids, tyvm. I don't restrict his amounts, and he knows what he needs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"