3rd Trimester

Ladies, do you take Tylenol PM?

My MW okayed the use of Tylenol PM to help me sleep. I feel a little bit like I'm giving in, because I've tried really hard not take any medicine while pregnant, but I am just beyond exhausted. If you've taken it, do you take 1 or 2?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Ladies, do you take Tylenol PM?

• I think I've taken it a total of 4 times during my entire pregnancy.  I'm 34 weeks now.  I try to stay clear of taking any meds, but my OB says Tylenol PM is safe.  I think I took one at night when I did take it.  

I found that Benedryl works better for me with knocking me out because I have trouble sleeping too.  I took that only a few times when I truly just could not sleep.  I haven't had a full nights sleep in ages!... prepping for the nights to come I guess!  

Good Luck!   

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, I took it for the last week. Last night was the first time in a week I haven't. I got a head cold and couldn't sleep. Once I took it I slept so much better. But now that the cold is gone I'm hoping I can go without.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • If they said its ok take it and get some sleep! I find for me I have to take it about an hour before I want to go to bed but I thik everyone is different.

Edit: I would take 1 and see how its goes. I take 2-3 usually but I have to take a lot more of meds to get them to work...just me

• I took two before bed last week when I had a fever... I was still up every hour or two anyway :(
  • I don't take anything pregnant, but that's just me.  Are you taking it just to sleep or are you actually sick? If it's just to sleep maybe try something like hit camomile tea.  If you are sick and your MW okayed it, then go for it.  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I take 2 about an hour before I go to bed. I have really bad back pain, so it helps relieve that (a little) and helps me sleep. I still don't sleep through the night, but better than I did without it. I would start with one. If that doesn't do anything for you, then take the 2nd one.
  • When I was having painful contractions that weren't doing anything (2 weeks ago, so yeah) L & D told me to go ahead at take Tylenol PM.  I took 2.  So don't feel bad about giving in, you need your sleep. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB told me that I could take some if my hips were bothering me really badly at night. I haven't yet, but only because it always makes me feel so groggy in the morning. I agree with PPs about starting with one. (I don't think I've ever taken 2.)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageaddam&tara:

I found that Benedryl works better for me with knocking me out because I have trouble sleeping too.  I took that only a few times when I truly just could not sleep.  I haven't had a full nights sleep in ages!... prepping for the nights to come I guess!  

FWIW, Tylenol PM and Benadryl contain the same sleep aid, diphenhydramine. Tylenol PM just combines it with acetaminophen.  

2 years TTC with 5 losses, 1 year recovering, 6 months applying for adoption approval, and almost a year waiting for a placement. Then, a miracle BFP at age 36!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yes I take it, along with unisome or benadryl. My Dr actually told me in the 1st adn 2nd tri to take unisome and b6 for morning sickness, so I have taken a lot of "sleep" aides during this pregnancy. Everything on my end seems just fine, and baby is doing great. 
  • Tylenol PM is just Tylenol 500mg and Benadryl  25 mg (generic name = diphenhydramine).  You can have 500 -1000 mg of Tylenol per dose, 25-50mg of Benadryl per dose.  If you have pain take Tylenol, if you are trying to sleep just take a Benadryl.  Not point taking 2 drugs if you only need one.   You can start with 1 pill, then take another one if you need it. 

NOT 3! to the person that suggested it.  You can cause your adult liver damage with that dose - I can't imagine how bad that is for the baby.

In general, I will take meds if I need them but I try to avoid combo pills.  Most "cold" meds etc have several ingredients in them.  I usually try to just stick with just one ingredient meds that are specifically for the symptom bothering me the most.  That way I can keep myself comfortable but still minimize the amount that I'm using.

• imagesalt78:
    My OB told me that I could take some if my hips were bothering me really badly at night. I haven't yet, but only because it always makes me feel so groggy in the morning. I agree with PPs about starting with one. (I don't think I've ever taken 2.)

I haven't taken any pregnant, but I agree with this.  When I've taken them not pregnant, I usually take 1, and it still makes me super groggy in the morn. 

imageimageimage
  • My doctor was all about it when I told her I was having trouble sleeping and I was really sore...  I only take one pill instead of the dosage.  Works like a charm when I really need it!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagejeapplegate:

Tylenol PM is just Tylenol 500mg and Benadryl  25 mg (generic name = diphenhydramine).  You can have 500 -1000 mg of Tylenol per dose, 25-50mg of Benadryl per dose.  If you have pain take Tylenol, if you are trying to sleep just take a Benadryl.  Not point taking 2 drugs if you only need one.   You can start with 1 pill, then take another one if you need it. 

NOT 3! to the person that suggested it.  You can cause your adult liver damage with that dose - I can't imagine how bad that is for the baby.

In general, I will take meds if I need them but I try to avoid combo pills.  Most "cold" meds etc have several ingredients in them.  I usually try to just stick with just one ingredient meds that are specifically for the symptom bothering me the most.  That way I can keep myself comfortable but still minimize the amount that I'm using.

Thank you! It's sad how many people don't know this. But it is even sadder that when people on here read it they don't care and continue to take unnecessary meds. 

• No..but I am not really a meds. person.  My MW recommended a 1/2 a glass of red wine right before bed instead and that is what I have done a hand full of times.  Otherwise, I just suck it up.

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I've been taking it on and off for the past 2 weeks, and I only take one. I basically have to take it at this point or I won't get a good night's sleep.
    BabyName Ticker imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Yep. About 4-5 times a week.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • I take it, take 1 to start with to see if it works for you, but two is totally safe. GL!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"