Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

What type of anesthesia with D&C

I didn't have time to ask my ob too many questions today.  Everything was closing it was so late by the time I finally got my u/s, that he was in a rush to set everything up so I could get the d&c as soon as possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Re: What type of anesthesia with D&C

• at the hospital where I work we give you a general (through the IV) but not as much medication as if you were having a long procedure. D&C's don't take very long so you don't need much medication (which is good for recovery)

Also most of the anesthesiologist don't put a breathing device in because the amount of meds they give you allows you to still breath on your own. HTH and so sorry you have to go through that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I had general anesthesia with my D&C. I chose that because otherwise they were going to do conscious sedation and there was a chance I could wake up in the middle of the procedure. So I decided to do general and I'm really glad I did. I don't remember any of it and I woke up easily with no nausea or anything. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm really sorry for your loss as well. I had general anesthesia and it was the best choice for me. It was painless, I remember nothing, and it went by quickly. I went into the hospital at 11:30, surgery was at 1pm and I was home by 4.
    BFP#1 10.03.11| Chemical Pregnancy 10.11.11.
    BFP#2 11.13.11| diag@13wks T21/Cystic Hygroma/Hydrops | D&C 1.24.12
    BFP#3 12.13.12| HR 174 | Materni21 - All Chromosomes Normal! | EDD 8.25.13
    BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • imageprplscrubs:

at the hospital where I work we give you a general (through the IV) but not as much medication as if you were having a long procedure. D&C's don't take very long so you don't need much medication (which is good for recovery)

Also most of the anesthesiologist don't put a breathing device in because the amount of meds they give you allows you to still breath on your own. HTH and so sorry you have to go through that.

This is what I had.  I was taken to the OR at 7:30 and was awake by 9 and out of the hospital at 9:45.

imageLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I was in the OB's office and had a local anesthetic with no sedation.  To be quite honest it was miserable.  I surely hope I never have to endure another m/c, but God forbid I did have to go through it again, I would go with general anesthesia or at least insist on conscious sedation.  Even with my experience, I made it through and I know you will come out on the other end as well.  I hope all goes smoothly for you.

• Sorry for your loss.

I had general anesthesia...which was awesome because I didn't want to risk the chance of waking up during the procedure.

• My d&c is scheduled for Wednesday and will be preformed under general anesthesia.

TTC started Oct '10
    Me: AMA w/RSD, atypical PCOS w/IR, LPD and High Prolactin. Controlled HP post-loss.
    DH: Low-T and borderline morph
    18 cycles, 3 medicated w/RE to get to a BFP!
    EDD 9/7/12, Saw HB @7w3d,missed m/c 1/30 @8w3d, d&c 2/8
    11 AL cycles, 9 medicated/IUI cycles. All BFFN!
    Moving forward with IVF
    BFP#2 our little cycle break surprise on AL cycle 12! EDD 10/27/13
    Beta #1: 41 Beta #2: 398; perfect u/s 3/11 hb @133bpm
    u/s 3/25 one perfect hb @183 bpm, adjusted EDD 10/23/13
    MaterniT21 and carrier screens normal. It's a girl!!!
    Severe Pre-E, HFpEF, PE, AMA & IF= OAD

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    All IF/AL Welcome!
  • I had what is called twilight sedation.  They said most people seep through the procedure and have no memory afterwards.

They gave me am IV, I walked into the OR, and they put a mask on me.  I'm honestly not sure if the anesthesia was via the IV, or through the mask.  I remember being on the table and the anesthesiologist telling me he was about to push the drugs, and then the next thing I remember was the nurse waking me up in the recovery room.  It was a much more pleasant experience than I anticipated, and I had no anesthesia hangover or nausea afterwards.

I hope your procedure goes well.  I felt much better after it was over. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"