Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Crafty mamas, please come in....

I am planning to make a latch hook rug for my LO, but haven't done any hooking in years. I feel like there are so many new yarns out there! Can anybody recommend a favorite yarn? I'd like something soft enough for LO to actually crawl on without feeling itchy, but I'd also like the yarn to be at least somewhat EF--from humanely-raised US sheep/alpacas if wool, from recycled materials if acrylic, and ideally dyed without the use of freaky chemicals. I am really having a hard time sorting out what yarn is really "green" and what is just greenwashed.

If it matters, I would like to do plum and grey, with white and grey if I can't find a suitable yarn in plum. I know that some of the companies I have been looking at mainly offer neutral colors.

Thanks in advance to anybody with suggestions!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Crafty mamas, please come in....

• Options
    I've found some recycled/ organic cotton at JoAnn Fabrics. That's what I'm using for my babies. I'm hesitant to use any wool, because I know DH and I both have allergies, and I don't want to inadvertently use a material for such a big project that my babies may be allergic to. 
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't even know they made yarn out of cotton! Thanks for the tip.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Alpaca can be really soft (but isn't always for some reason) but it is pretty expensive.
    image  image  image

• Options

Personally, I'd use wool. But for such a large project, it might get pricey and also yoou don't even know if your LO would have any sensitivities to it.

The small balls called "Sugar n Cream" are mostly all cotton and some of them are 'organic' or 'eco' something but I've never checked them out real well. I also came across something cool at a.c. moore one day, an acrylic that was made from recycled plastic. They also carried some bamboo blends which are extremely soft.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"