Adoption

TIME OFF WORK

I am just curious to know How much time you were able to take off work? OR shal I ask How much time DID you take off work? 

I have been off since ourDD was born on DECEMBER 8th. I will be going back to work March 12th. BUT after getting our DD medical bills I am re~thinking my back to work date. I had saved up about 6 1/2 weeks of sickVac/ and personal time leaving the last of my time off unpaid. We have $$$ to cover to JUST GET BY, but nit sure If we want to drain our savings?

What are your thoughts? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: TIME OFF WORK

• My company only gives you 10 days paid for adoption. I saved up vacation so I was able to take 5 weeks off with pay. I could have taken longer without pay but we just couldn't afford to do that.

keira party Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • IMO, if you can't afford to stay home, you'll need to go back. Do you have childcare arranged.

I took off 12 weeks, then went back for a month and quit to SAHM. But that was in the plan all along and still worked when we ran the #s.

• Loading the player...
  • I took 30 days unpaid initially because I didn't qualify for FMLA, DH took FMLA for 2 months then when I hit my one year I took another 7 weeks off.  All of my time was unpaid, but we had saved so it didn't impact us financially.
  • I work part time at Old Navy. They have a pretty great maternity/nursing momma/pumping momma policy at the Gap, Inc. brands. However, I have no idea about adoption! Hm...I should look into that! Thanks for the idea! :-) 

Me: 26
    Hubs: 32
    Married June 19, 2010.
    TTC since that date.
    No successes that we know of.
    Still waiting on the SA results. (Insurance issues.)
    Cycle length approx. 34-36 days.
    PCOS "diagnosis" Dec. 2011.
    Started Metformin Dec. 2011.
    34 day lighter cycle in Jan '12.
    Possibly starting the adoption journey sometime this Spring.
    Lots of unknowns, but tons of hope. :-)
    Visit my blog, Angela's Favorite Things!
    Visit my weight loss blog!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm working to get 6 weeks paid for our adoption, which is what our maternity leave is set up to be.  I'll probably bank a couple weeks of PTO and use them with the 6 weeks too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I took four weeks off of work - two paid and two unpaid.  One week was spent waiting out of state for him to be born, so I went back to work when he was three weeks old.  It wasn't ideal, but we made it work.  
  • I initially took off 3 weeks, and then I was able to take days off here and there for whatever I needed or wanted. after 3 weeks, I was fortunate enough to have my mom take care of him.
  • i took the typical 3 month FMLA. our company pays 3 weeks and the rest were paid from my accumulated vacation and about 2-3 weeks were unpaid.

if you plan to return to work, i'm really for staying home with the LO as much as possible. i really get sad seeing LOs younger than 3 months go to daycare.

good luck!...

After 7 years of marriage and 5 unsuccessful IVFs, we have been granted the gift of adopting a baby boy, born 4/21/11.
  • In CA adoptive parents can use the state's Paid Family Leave for six weeks.
    I used mine intermittently so I stretched my leave our for months.

Are you able to return part time?  FMLA allows for intermittent leaves.  It might be a good working solution for a dismal problem (dismal assuming you'd like to stay home full time)
    image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • My thoughts are that it is best for one parent to be home with the baby for at least the first 3 months if at all possible.  Can you DH take vacation time to be with the baby if you go back early? 

Also how long would it take you to rebuild your savings once you got back to work?  That would be a huge determining factor for me.

GL with your decision- I'm sure it can't be easy! 

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • I don't have the wisdom some of your already moms have here, but I will share my plans. For context,  I work in Texas for one of the top companies on the stock exchange.  The company allows me to take the full fmla time of 12 weeks.  They do not have a choice, it is the law.  It will be unpaid as my company does not offer any additional family leave support under any circumstances. My std insurance does not kick in in Texas since I am not giving birth.  

I am planning on taking the entire thing at once.  I am single and an older first time mom.  Chances are I won't get this type of opportunity for time off  often with an assurance of a comparable job waiting for me.  It will be very hard financially, and I may very well go back earlier.  I just decided to make sure my employers understood that I may be out three months.

I will watch your decisions with great interest, I have a while yet to be in your shoes.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"