Adoption

Finances holding me back from starting..

Hi All,

I just recently found this message board. It's so encouraging and informative to read the posts on here.  

I am in the heavy researching phase of adoption and am really looking forward to adopting siblings from foster care (looking at the 4-8 year old range).

My biggest recurring concern is that my finances won't be 'good enough' to adopt. At this point in time i'm making just enough money while working on my graduate school program. Upon completion of this program, I have employment lined up and should be in a significantly better financial situation.

I know it takes time to get through the paperwork and waiting process and I would like to get the ball rolling prior to being in that higher income bracket. However, I'm concerned that my current finances will be met with disapproval. 

Have any of y'all had a similar experience? Did you go ahead and start the process? Query a professional to find out when you should start the process? I feel that the financial bit is really the only part holding me back from going ahead and beginning the process. 

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.  

Re: Finances holding me back from starting..

• If you start out with foster care, you just have to prove that you can pay your own bills.  I am sure a foster agency would approve you.  I would say go ahead with the process as it can take awhile to be approved, and then takes awhile to get the right kids you want in your home.  By the time this all happens you will have the job you are talking about.  Good Luck!!!
    loving being a mommy Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagenicwilk83:
    If you start out with foster care, you just have to prove that you can pay your own bills.  I am sure a foster agency would approve you.  I would say go ahead with the process as it can take awhile to be approved, and then takes awhile to get the right kids you want in your home.  By the time this all happens you will have the job you are talking about.  Good Luck!!!

What she said.  They just want to make sure your aren't taking in children as a "job".  As long as you can support yourself, the stipend will support he kid/s.  If they are older or SN, they may qualify for and adoption subsidy after adoption which would help with your finances.  As long as you have a job, you will probably be o.k.

dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• Loading the player...
  • IMO it wouldn't hurt to talk to a professional and see what they say. They can probably give you a good idea of how long it would take for a placement in your area.

•   I found starting overwhelming and in hindsight, stayed in the thinking stage longer than I needed.  I now have learned that you can always say no to a situation that is not right, but you cannot say yes unless the administrative steps have already been completed.  Where I live, there are more non profit groups and churches that you can shake a stick at who help people through the admin required for the foster care system.  In Austin, this includes 3 day workshops cramming in a ton of the classes that could take months to arrange if you use the county schedules.   Do some more research and just go to an event.  My experience was that once I went, my life exploded with new relationships with parents who were just like me, or were me 2-3 years ago and could offer very good advice. Best of luck!
  • Thanks for these responses. It's really helpful to get an idea of what others think in hindsight. Such a blessing to be able to use y'alls wisdom on the subject. I think I will continue to save money, keep researching and hold off for another six months or so as I am in the midst of a house remodel and there's only so many things that one can put on the plate at one time. But, I think I may just set the goal of getting things started officially at some point this calendar year. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"