Pre-School and Daycare

Anyone go to a home-based preschool?

I went to a Mom's night out the other night and all of the moms were talking about a new preschool. There is a waiting list. I found out it's run out of a home. Anyone send their child to a program like this? What is it like?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone go to a home-based preschool?

• My DD goes to one. I like it much better than the public school's preschool. Her preschool has no naps (unlike the public school, which I think is ridiculous in a 3 hour class), monthly field trips and smaller class size. Her preschool is taught by a former teacher, is extremely organized and integrates a variety of teaching styles. Our public preschool really felt much more like daycare.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our experience is very similar to Brightenings.  Small, run by a credentialed teacher with tons of experience.  Is play based but very academically focused.  Right now they are studying the Arctic so that means story time books are about the Arctic, they do crafts related to ice bergs, polar bears, fish that live in the Arctic.  Basically the theme is integrated into the entire day.  They've made sedimentary rocks and volcanos.  They work on their letters and numbers and colors but it's all built into the theme somehow.

Pretty much all the "big" preschools I went to would blather on about learning through play and what that meant in their situation was " oh we let the kids run wild because kids learn through play", umm no that is not what it means at all!

I spent a year looking for a preschool for DS #1 and in the end didnt' start him until he was 3 1/2 instead of 3 because I couldn't find anything that was worth it, until I found the home based preschool.  I would call and go watch to see what you think.

• Loading the player...
  • It probably varies a lot by school.  We sent DD to a home-based preschool last fall.  The teacher had been my ILs' nanny for years and had babysat DD, plus she's the same age as DH and they knew each other growing up, so she already knew DD well.  It was smallish, usually 6-8 kids depending on the day (she has a couple of aides, especially since she had a baby this fall, but it's a small enough group she can supervise them on her own).  She did a lot of art projects and took the kids outside to play or go on walks whenever the weather wasn't awful.  DD loved it and grew a lot socially and skills-wise.  I'd have kept her there if we hadn't moved.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"