Success after IF
Options

Have you thought about/done a tubal ligation?

I know we've talked about this before, and yes, it's odd to think about around these parts, lol. But I am.

I'm pretty dang sure I want a tubal once I'm done with these babies. I have two main reasons:  1) I am TERRIFIED of ovarian cancer, and I've convinced myself I'm doomed to get it, because of all the meds I've piled on 'me oves.  Cauderizing the tubes reduces that risk significantly, from my med journal readings.    2)  I suck at staying pregnant, I need too much help to do it, I knew going into THIS one it was my last, (SO I LOVE EVERY FRICKEN SECOND OF IT!!) and let's face it, I don't make good eggs/embryos. For whatever reason. Odds are soooo stacked against me, and I'm 39 this summer. Fuggit.  Momma is T-I-R-E-D.

(however, we'd like 3 kids total, so adoption and/or embryo adoption for a GC is a consideration for us, big time.)

Anywho.... not planning but if I end up with a c/s, they can do it then. So I need to be solid in my decision soon.

WWYD if me, and/or what kinds of stories have you got about why you did it, or want to?  (yes, I could do Essure, but why? I'm done. I'm not doing this again. Done done annnnnnnnd done.)

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence

Re: Have you thought about/done a tubal ligation?

• Options
    After all I have put my body through to get pregnant, DH will be getting a vasectomy.  And he is 100% on board.  Maybe Davez should step up to the plate too!  :)
    Allison
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My ob asked me if I wanted it bf my c/s. Said he was obligated to ask even though he knew I would say no. My DH has no sperm so I guess I'm "lucky" I don't have to worry about BC or needing to get a tubal ligation.
    TTC since 8/07 DX - Severe MFI/azoospermia & MTHFR/ TESEs found sperm - 7/08 & 6/09/ 12/08 - IVF#1 - BFN/ 6/09 - IVF #2 - cancelled due to OHSS risk (had retrieval)/ 7/09 - FET #1 - BFN/ 9/09 - FET #2 - BFN/ 11/09 - IVF #3 with new RE cancelled twice - 10/09 & 11/09/ 1/10 - IVF #3 take 3 - BFN/ 4/10 - IVF #4 - first ever BFP on 5/13/10!!! 108 @ 10dp3dt/ 2nd beta 311!/ sono on 5/28/10 said TWINS!!!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's not even an issue over here.  I rarely ovulate and now my DH has a really low sperm count so I don't foresee us EVER getting pregnant on our own.  It would be an act of God.  Although I would love to have to prevent than never being able to get pregnant.  Sucks balls!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagecharmcitygirl:
    After all I have put my body through to get pregnant, DH will be getting a vasectomy.  And he is 100% on board.  Maybe Davez should step up to the plate too!  :)

This is our agreement too.  In fact, when we thought we were having twins DH was ready to make the appointment ; ) Of course that does not address your ovarian cancer fears.  If was ok with having the procedure and was 100% sure I was done, I'd have them do it at c-section.  We are about 80% sure (though I think that will increase to 100% when the baby comes) we are done so we would not  do it at delivery which only adds to support the decision for us to have DH go through some of the "reproductive he!!" I've had to deal with for the past 6 years....holy crap, 6 years???

• Options
    Assuming this pregnancy goes well, I am seriously considering it since I will be having a c/s anyway.  We will be done after 2 children and I will be 40.  Our last 2 pregnancies were due to surprise BFPs so apparently getting pregnant spontaneously is now an option.  I don't want to do hormones either.  I haven't done a lot of research on it myself, but I was aware it greatly reduced your chances of ovarian cancer.  I was wondering if there is extra recovery time involved even if I had it with a c/s?
  • Options

I had one.  I opted to not do it during my C-Section.  Here is why:

I was miserable in my twin pregnancy.  PUPPS took over my brain and I could barely take care of my daughter I was in so much pain all the time.  I didn't want to make the decision in the cloudiness of all that misery.

I waited until we were out of the newborn phase.  I wanted it to be a decision DH and I made when we weren't sleep deprived and feeling completely overwhelmed.

Why did I do a tubal versus the pill, or any other cheap/easy methods?

It was symbolic for me.  Literally cutting off ties to the TTC world.  I just didn't want to ever think, "crap, am I pregnant?"  

Why did I do it instead of DH?

The reasons you said.  My OB told me the same thing.  Plus, it was symbolic for me.  Like I said, literally cutting off all ties to the TTC/infertility part of my life.  Also, DH was scared sh*tless of having his balls messed with.  In a bad way ; )  I wasn't scared at all.  After 2 laps, 2 IVFs, 2 C-Sections...ain't no thing. 

We continue to be thrilled with our choice.

I know that, should circumstances beyond my imagination happen, we would "just" do IVF again anyway, so I don't need my tubes intact for that. 

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesamk213:
    Assuming this pregnancy goes well, I am seriously considering it since I will be having a c/s anyway.  We will be done after 2 children and I will be 40.  Our last 2 pregnancies were due to surprise BFPs so apparently getting pregnant spontaneously is now an option.  I don't want to do hormones either.  I haven't done a lot of research on it myself, but I was aware it greatly reduced your chances of ovarian cancer.  I was wondering if there is extra recovery time involved even if I had it with a c/s?

It wouldn't add to your recovery time.  You really would have no clue they even did it.  It is a quick procedure they would do right after delivering the baby. 

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

D would get snipped if that's what we want, but I'm not kidding when I say I'm TERRIFIED of getting o-cancer. Honestly, I'd get a hysterectomy if it wasn't such an incredible recovery time and yes, I'm a bit young to begin HRT therapy. lol.

I also like the idea of symbolically being DONE. Good lordie, can you imagine staying ON this rollercoaster if you were me? I'm brave. But I'm done being stupid.

lol.

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Options

I had a tubal after I gave birth to Jack (had it before they stitched me up from my c-section with him). I did it because his cardiac stuff was so fricken' scary and we knew it was genetic & we weren't ever going to risk it with another spontaneous pregnancy.  It wasn't that we didn't want more children, but we knew we weren't doing that again (we didn't know about IVF/PGD at that point).

So yeah. That's what we did.  And of course, you know we went on to later have little Henry thanks to our RE.  

Hannah

ps - If you're interested, I had a ligation and resection, which sounds like what you're after.  They cut out a piece of each tube and burned the ends :) so those suckers aren't ever going back together.  No loops or clips or ligatures or any of that stuff.

Good luck mama!! You gotta do what's right for you! 

• Options
    imageLVBlvd:

imagesamk213:

It wouldn't add to your recovery time.  You really would have no clue they even did it.  It is a quick procedure they would do right after delivering the baby. 

Ditto.  I've had 3 c-sections, and a tubal with my second one (last pregnancy was from IVF) and the recovery from it was no different at all.  You have no idea it even happened. 

• Options

MH and I have been discussing this very issue.  (My history in brief:  I have had 7 pregnancies before this one.  All 7 ended in m/c.  End diagnosis is that I do not make eggs that will result in a viable pregnancy.  This pregnancy is through DE.)

We are not sure we are done having children.  However, we are sure that we will never get and stay pregnant with my own eggs.  We have 10 embryos frozen (from the DE cycle) and can do FETs should we choose to have more children.

After we have these babies, I cannot risk more miscarriages.  I just can't go through it again.  If possible, I'd love to avoid having to take birth control.  If I have a c/s with the twins, I am seriously considering a tubal ligation.  It wouldn't change our future plans/options regarding children, it would just give me a peace of mind and closure regarding my fertility issues.

ETA:  I realize that I can still have losses with the DE frozen embryos.  I guess I just meant I cannot go through the nearly sure loss of a pregnancy using my own eggs.

*P/SAIFW* TTC since 1/08 Clomid, 2 IUIs, 4 IVFs, FET 7 losses Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't know if we're done having kids but I suspect the answer won't change when/if we do decide we're done:

I won't do it.  DH won't get a vasectomy. 

We're MFI and I have a clotting disorder so we don't see any need for DH to get a vasectomy and with my clotting disorder I don't want to undergo any surgical procedure regardless how minor.   

I was unaware of the ovarian cancer connection.  Interesting, but I still don't think I would do it.  The odds of us conceiving on our own are so slim . . .

• Options
    We've talked about both options and if we go with one, it will be DH but we don't really plan to go down that road yet. We are 90% sure we are done with the IVF roller coaster but both would be OK if a surprise happened....I really highly doubt it will even though we're unexplained but we're "young" so I dont' want to rule anything out.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options

I had my tubes tied after this CS.  I knew ahead of time that I wanted to and was happy to have it done while I was there for a sch CS anyways.  I knew I didn't want to be pregnant again and didn't want anymore kids.  The idea of having a "whoops" baby at 43 after I took my guard down TERRIFIED ME!  (Happened to 2 of my aunts).  I feel like an old lady as it is at 40 with a toddler and infant!  LOL!  I can barely remember to take a multi-vit every morning and I didn't want to have to take the pill or have to go to the OB for whatever other options there are.  I feel like I have done enough damage to my system with all the meds and wanted to have a final decision so I didn't have to think about it.  I didn't feel a thing.. in fact the recovery from the CS was MUCH easier than with my DS2.  I'm happy with my decision.

imageimageimage
    TTC #1: IUI #2 = BFP , Betas 550 (16 dpiui), 1523 (18 dpiui)
    Hypothyroid, LPD, FSH 13.0, TTC 2 yrs B4 BFP

TTC #2: FSH 23, AMA, IUI 1, 2, 3 = BFN, IVF #1 = MC
    IVF #2 = BFP - Betas 194 (14dp2dt), 366 (16 dp2dt), 841 (18 dp2dt)
    (vanished twin ~7 weeks)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

My DH offered to get a vasectomy.....he was ready after DS2 ;)

Once I became PG with DD and went through those crazy 20 weeks of bedrest....I was d.o.n.e. We knew we were done regardless after this last PG, but after all that I went through, I never, ever wanted to be PG again.

Every PG I had involved issues and each PG caused A LOT of anxiety. I just knew that I did not want to ever be PG again.

Because I was having another c/s, I just felt it was easiest for me to do it. Like I said above, my DH was more than happy to have it done, but it took an extra 70 seconds on the table and I just felt that it was easier since I was already open on the table :)

I have no regrets and it didn't change my recovery at all.

A close friend had hers done after their 2nd around 1  year post partum. She did it laproscopically and said it was super easy. She was out and about the next day.

I think you definitely have to feel 100% done. I literally asked at every appt to make sure that it was in my file ;) And, I asked my OB about 20 times while I was on the table making sure she did it...Lol!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I thought about it, but, too late.  I wish I had thought about it, or my doc had mentioned it prior to my c-section. 

Yes, I desperately wanted to have a second pregnancy and a second baby.  But, after accepting that I needed to use donor eggs and having a successful pregnancy, I did not want that pregnancy to be with my own eggs.  I do not fantasize about having an oops pregnancy with my eggs.  It has been well established that my eggs suck and the thought of a pregnancy, and all the potential problems, with my eggs scares me.  

But, I also don't want to put my body through unnecessary surgery, so, we haven't discussed doing it now.  I wish I had done it when I was open on the table.

Lisa
    Not a newbie, but, had to create a new account - formerly LBR_NJ

My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options

imagenewsbaby:
    My ob asked me if I wanted it bf my c/s. Said he was obligated to ask even though he knew I would say no. My DH has no sperm so I guess I'm "lucky" I don't have to worry about BC or needing to get a tubal ligation.

This!  

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • Options

I am considering a tubal or Essure. I will be taking the next step either way. DH is not  excited for surgery and I have 2 friends who had complications following theirs. I figured I have done everything else why not this.

However the idea is so ironic considering the time, money and heartache spent on trying to get pregnant. I am just too old and tired to do it again.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I did since I had a c-section anyway.  I figured I wasn't getting PG that way anyway so wasn't really worried about it.  It ended up being harder donating our embroys because THAT really meant we were done. (It awsn't really a question whether we were, it just felt really final)
  • Options
    I will be getting one at my c/s with this baby. While I doube I could get pregnant on my own, we are 100% DONE and I wouldn't want to take the risk however small. I have read that aobut ovarian cancer as well so to me that is just a bonus. I will feel very complete when done and I'm glad to get it done.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Honestly I would do it HOWEVER in your case I'd wait till later. I'd have them stitch you up as fast as possible so that you can be with Cricket as quickly as humanly possible. 

I'd rather go through two surgeries then miss any of the precious time that I had with my baby. 

Just something to consider.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    m/c August 2007 - Blighted Ovum
    Sean - Our IUI/Injectable miracle born Oct. 5, 2008.
    Liam - Our second miracle born July 16, 2010
  • Options
    imagehclavalley:

Honestly I would do it HOWEVER in your case I'd wait till later. I'd have them stitch you up as fast as possible so that you can be with Cricket as quickly as humanly possible. 

I'd rather go through two surgeries then miss any of the precious time that I had with my baby. 

Just something to consider.  

great point, but one we already covered, lol. We would skip it if I needed to hurry and be with him. We actually have a pretty elaborate set up as far as scenario A, B, C and then some.... man I have such an amazing coordinator and team, so grateful.  But thanks, you never know when something has slipped by me, lol.

• Options
    My mother thought I should do it w/my CS, but I wanted to wait until the twins were here and healthy after a scary pregnancy. I'd like to get my tubes out completely, since my sister had f-tube cancer. I hadn't heard of the reduction in ovarian cancer, that is interesting. I wonder how that works. We are done and I have no interest in rolling the dice on unplanned pgs. If you know you are done, I would go for it. I just couldn't make the decision before having any born babies.
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

• Options
    It's looking like I'll have RCS with this one and I will be getting one.  I'm only 31 but we just can't risk having another shocker.  DH and I have been talking about this since we basically found out I was pg at 4 weeks with this one.  It was a surprise for us and we never expected it nor were we TTC.  We absolutely cannot afford a third in daycare and one of us staying home is not an option we can take.  So we are completely done after this one.  He would gladly have a vasectomy but since I'll have a RCS (unless I go into labor on my own and VBAC before 38 weeks) I'll be getting snipped.  Either way one of us is getting it. 
    Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"