Pregnant after 35

Diabetes

6w 5 d with my second and already diagnosed with diabetes. Having insulin twice daily. Any suggestions for dealing with carb balance while still trying to consume the daily calories?
MaMa

Re: Diabetes

• I am diabetic.  I don't count calories in any way.  I just focus on eating the most nutrient-dense foods I can.  Try to avoid the processed, refined carbs and sugar.  Healthy fats are your friend.  Keep your blood sugars under control (I assume they gave you a meter?) and you should be fine!  :-)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have GD and am so glad to hear that they caught this so early for you.  I was well into 20+ weeks b/f mine was diagnosed.  The difference between the day before my GD diet and the day after was remarkable and I literally felt like I had a completely different kid inside me.  He went from being a complete maniac all the time to slow rolls, soft stretches, etc...

Anyway, I agree 100% with the PP - don't count calories.  I've found with a higher protein diet, I'm not nearly as hungry/ravenous as I was before so I bet you will be able to regulate how much you will need on your own.

Also as PP said, make everything that you eat as beneficial as possible.  For example, eat 1/2 and orange (this gives you digestion benefits, fiber, etc...) instead of drinking OJ. 

I keep almonds at my desk all the time and pop a few if I feel hungry.  I also usually have cheese with me.  Meat sort of has always creeped me out so I've switched to tofu to supplement in place of chicken...

OH!  and I picked up some EASAdvantage drinks - the vanilla has about 2 carbs to 17g of protein and I use these in my coffee instead of creamer/milk.  It takes me about 3 days to go through one carton.  I make smoothies out of them as well - Some EAS drink, greek yogurt a few strawberries (like 5) and it is a pretty good snack.  I also add plain psyllium husk fiber to as much as I can b/c pregnancy+high protein diet = discomfort.

Hope this helps.

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• Loading the player...
  • Was diabetic before I got pregnant.  Have had pretty good control of my sugars with just my metformin at this time.  Agree with PP that balanced diet, no calorie counting.  The other thing I would suggest if not already done, is ask your OB to set you up with dietician/nutrionist.  They will probably be able to give some really great advice. Will be seeing one shortly myself.  Best of luck to you!!! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • My meter has become my best friend! Taking basal insulin daily and sugars doing well. Have been really trying to watch the weight gain...has been fairly easy until this week-not I seem to want to eat constantly!
    MaMa
  • I did meet with a nutritionist and that was helpful. Taking insulin and levels are doing well. Just want to keep this in check so as not to have a extra large bundle of joy...I had PTL with my first and I don't want to go down that road again if possible.
    MaMa
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"