Washington Babies
Options

Name Woes

Did anyone not *love* your childs name?  DH and I cannot agree on names, we have 1 I sorta like, could live with, but there are none that we both love.  He's veto'd my top 5 and I can't get on board with any of his top 5.  Tell me it will be OK and I'll love it when he's here and we meet him???
BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12

Re: Name Woes

• Options

When he gets here you are going to both be so in love I bet you agree on a name right away :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am sure once he is here you will feel more right about the name! Boys names are REALLY hard I think compared to girls. I had a list a mile long for girls but for boys it was only a small handful.

Maybe practice writing the name and saying the name - you may like it more then too!

collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DH was pretty set on Abigail for a girl and I liked it, but didn't LOVE it. I loved Hailey though. I just couldn't agree on a name that I didn't love. I have huge problems with girl names. So I'm thankful that he changed his mind and we went with Hailey.

Like PP have said, I think you'll have a moment after he is here when you can figure out a name and love it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    While I'm still haven't gotten a BFP, Dh and I couldn't agree on names we both liked for the longest time. One night we both couldn't sleep and we bounced names back and forth for hours and finally found 2 that we both really like. Like you, a lot of the favorites we both had the other didn't like, but eventually we found ones! good luck!
    Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
  • Options

We are not agreeing on a name yet.  Hopefully, when  our baby girl shows up, we will find a name that works.   Meanwhile, I just call her by the name that I like. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options
    Ugh, so sorry :-( DH and I have had a really hard time coming up with names we both really like. We kind of have polar opposite standards (I want something uncommon, he wants something common) so it's hard finding that grey area. We set up the rule that if either of us vetoes a name, it's out, end of discussion. We have found that much more helpful than keeping a top 5 that the other dislikes. We are both welcome to throw out any name we think of, but if the other says no we put it out of our minds and move on. It keeps our minds fresh for new name possibilities. We're now to where we have a handful we'd both be good with, and we'll see how we feel as time progresses and when we meet baby girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    It is really hard, I found boy names much harder than girl names also. No matter what, you'll find a name that is perfect for him!
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Options
    This was me. To a T. We didn't agree on boys names, well, girls either, but we had a compromise name going in with A. With R, he wasn't named until he was 25 hours old as neither of us was willing to give up our favorite names. I finally gave in, since I could live with it, but it wasn't what I wanted. I did think about it for a while after he was born, but not anymore. I was sad for a while, I didn't get one of my 2 favorites.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

it will all be ok and you will love it when he's here. Seriously. Smile Is there any compromise combining names (your fav as first name and his fav as middle name)? Or maybe try finding new names using that site that lets you rate names? Rate the 10 names you both lke high and see what it spits out? Unfortunately I can't remember what that site is and I just spent a bunch of time looking for it - where is Angel?

I do think boys names are tougher than girls.  {Hugs}

• Options
    www.nymbler.com is the site!
  • Options
    We had the same issue with the middle name - we had a card we kept and added names to. We chose one that was crossed off, so it's really anyone's game. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but a cool way to find new names is to go to Name Berry, type in your existing child's name, scroll down and look at the part that says "people who loved this name also like..." and see what others have. That way it's real people and real lists. I'll also do a search for the top name picks on Name Berry and see what else comes up in blog posts. It's tough!
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options

imagebraveangel2:
    We had the same issue with the middle name - we had a card we kept and added names to. We chose one that was crossed off, so it's really anyone's game. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but a cool way to find new names is to go to Name Berry, type in your existing child's name, scroll down and look at the part that says "people who loved this name also like..." and see what others have. That way it's real people and real lists. I'll also do a search for the top name picks on Name Berry and see what else comes up in blog posts. It's tough!

Name Berry is my favorite name site!

Boys names are HARD...second boy's names are terrible!  We've finally agreed on a name that we both like, but I don't LOVE it the way I love DS1's name.  For me it has really helped that we've started calling baby by the name...helps me bond with the baby and bond with the name.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagestacylu:
    www.nymbler.com is the site!

THis is an awesome site, thanks!  We love Nameberry too but we both have such different tastes, we are going off of different lists. 

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Options
    DH always kind of caves after he sees how giving birth goes - that's how Asher ended up with my maiden name as his middle name :)
  • Options

imagestacylu:
    DH always kind of caves after he sees how giving birth goes - that's how Asher ended up with my maiden name as his middle name :)

DH didn't LOVE the name Hudson like I did, but during labor I he told me I could pick whatever I wanted after going through all that :) hehe

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Dx: Hypothalamic Amennorhea (Unexplained) DS #1: IVF #1 - Born: 3/15/10 TTC #2: FET Cycle #1: BFP 11/4/12(HPT) - Beta #1: 61.8 Beta #2: 60 :( Beta #3: 14 Natural M/C FET Cycle #2: ET: 2/13/13, BFP 2/20/13 (HPT) - Beta #1:9dp5dt(2/22/13) - 93.1 - Beta #2:12dp5dt - 543
  • Options

I pretty much picked DS #1s name because it is a family name that I've always wanted to use it. I kind of told a lot of people that we had decided because I thought he was on board with it and then for a long time he joked that I picked it myself and didn't give him a say. So when #2 came around I told him we should go with his favorite name from his DS#1 list - Owen. I had come to love it and was excited to use it for #2. Well then he decided that he much preferred Dylan to Owen! I liked Dylan well enough, but I for sure would have chosen Owen if it were up to me. We went back and forth for months and finally I caved because I felt like he deserved to name #2 something he loves because I got to do that with #1.

Sometimes I still think I like Owen better, but now that he is here he couldn't really be anyone else because he is our little Dylan. The only bummer is that we'd use Owen for #3 but I think some of our good friends want it for their son and we aren't 100% sure we're going for 3 yet or that it'd be a boy so it might be out for us for good. God only knows what we'd do to name a third boy then!

So, sorry for the long rambling, but what I wanted to say is that I don't think you have to be IN LOVE with a name as long as you both like it enough, your child will grow into it and then you will love it because it's associated with them. I kind of think some people put too much emphasis on finding the PERFECT name for babies nowadays anyway and it's just a lot of extra pressure.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"