Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Scarlette fever rash???

DD broke out into a random rash almost 3 weeks ago. I took her to the pedi and they said I looked like a viral rash. A few days later I found out that my 8 month old niece has Scarlette fever. We were there to visit only a few days to a week before she was diagnosed. I immediately called the pedi and they said that they don't think that's what DD has because it's rare in babies. I made her another appointment for tomorrow anyway and said I wanted a swab test done. 

Fast forward to today. Dd still has the rash. I showered tonight and I now see it all over the underneaths of my arms. It burned so bad when the water hit it.

Does anyone have experience in this? I feel like the dr is just gonna keep saying its a viral rash. I also don't have insurance for myself right now as I'm about to go back to school and dh just started a new job so I'm not sure what I can do for myself.

Tia.  

Re: Scarlette fever rash???

• Options

My dh had scarlet fever a few yrs back. He actually thought he had strep throat at first because his throat just hurt but later that night he broke out in a rash all over.
    He said the rash looked like it was "under his skin". Different than any other he had before. I don't think it ever burned though, it mainly just itched. He also had a fever.

If you're feeling fine otherwise, I would think you're ok. But definitely keep an eye on it and if you are really concerned you should get it checked out.

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had scarlet fever as a child, and it starts with a sore throat (because it is caused by the same bacteria strep throat is).  Your tongue turns bright red, and you get a rash that spreads all over except for around your mouth. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Scarlett fever is a bacterial infection. I had it as a child and have no lasting effects beyond a distant memory of three terrible summer days. I would say asking for a swab seems fair. The same bacteria also causes rheumatic fever which can have lasting effects - something to do with dental work and heart problems. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"