C-sections
Options

3+ C-sections?

I had a C-Section in May 2011 due to pre-eclampsia at 38.5 weeks gestation. I was a zero on the Bishop scale and my OB recommended a C-Section based on all of the factors available. I realize I could have tried to be induced but I agreed that I didn't want to have a medicated induction, be in labor for 24 hours and then end up on the operating room table anyway especially since they were really worried about my health. This was a very hard decision for me as I really wanted a completely non-medicated, natural child birth experience. We even took 12 weeks of Bradley classes.

When I made the decision to move forward with the C-Section I thought I only wanted two children and I didn't know about the risks associated with multiple C-Sections. Fast forward to now, I realize we may not be done at just two. I plan on having a serious discussion with my provider about the possibility of having a VBAC, but if that doesn't work out (for whatever reason) when does it become unsafe to continue to have C-Sections? Three children? Four?

I would be so disappointed if I couldn't have the number of children I wanted to (biologically) because of that first stupid C-Section. I often wonder what would have happened if I agreed to the induction instead. Sad But there's not going back now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 3+ C-sections?

• Options
    I'm about to have my 3rd c/s in june. My OB didn't think twice about it. After having ds2 I knew we were not done so I did discuss it with my OB then. He said that its really a case by case thing but usually 3 sometimes 4 is okay depending on scar tissue/length of time between pg etc. I had two very easy c/s and recoveries with my boys and have very minimal scar tissue when they did my 2nd c/s.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had Pre-E with my 1st and my dd was born at 35w3d via c/s.  I was induced but my body was not ready and they were losing me from the high blood pressure.  With my 2nd dd, the pre-e came back at 39 weeks and I tried for the VBAC but couldn't progress past 4cm so I ended up with another c/s.  I am now pregnant with my 3rd and the drs said it was no big deal but I will have to have c/s this time and they will deliver by 38 weeks since I had a thin uterus with my 2nd. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've had 3 c/s.

1st - no complications

2nd - no complications

3rd - Massive complications, much longer surgery, ended up w/ MRSA infection, readmitted to hospital for 10 day stay and additional surgery to excavate the infection. I've heard of lots of people having normal no complication c/s

On the charts I've seen c/s 1 and c/s 2 seem to have minimal complications, #3 starts to jump up, and #4 is even higher, while #5 and up start to have really big complications. 

We will stop at 3 even though I would like to have another attempt at having a girl.

• Options
    I will be going in on 2/15 for my third c-section and when I told my OB I might consider having a 4th he didn't even bat an eye. I asked about having a VBAC for #3 but he said since my kids got bigger (9lb1oz and 9lb5oz) he was more comfortable with me having a RCS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I will be going in for c/s #4 on 2/9, as long as little one doesn't decide to come before then. But my OB has no worries about it at all. She just told me at my last appointment that she did a 4th c/s on another patient the week prior and was told it was the easiest recovery of all of them (so I'm hoping the same is true for me). I have talked to my OB about possibly having another baby in the future (my 3 older kids are from my ex husband, and this is my SO first baby and he thinks he would like another one) she said that will have to look at the scar tissue on my uterus when she gets LO out to see if it would be safe for me to carry another one. But she says from the look of my scar on the outside (on my stomach) that she does not really think there would be an issue with me having another one. She did also say that usually they don't recommend more than 5, but it all depends on the scar tissue after each one.
  • Options
    I have only had 1 c/s but I am an L&D nurse, so I can put some input here.  Usually after the 3rd (even after the 2nd with some high risk ladies), we start thinking that there could be complications in surgery.  If someone is coming in for their 4th c/s at my hospital, we automatically start 2 IVs because the risk of PP hemorrhage is much higher.  Also the risk of having the placenta grow into further layers of the uterus becomes higher the more c/s's you have (placenta accreta).  I personally would feel perfectly comfortable having 3, but after that it would depend on scar tissue and such.  I'd like to have a VBAC with my 2nd to not have limits put on me, but I probably wouldn't want more than 4 kids anyway.  All that being said, the majority of c/s go completely uneventful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No personal experience, but my OB had 3 c/s herself. Her first was with a singleton, second with twins, third another singleton.
    After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • Options

My OB was totally fine with me having a 3rd.  I'm not too concerned about it.  From what I've read/heard, #4 is when most doctors start to get a little more concerned.  We have no desire to have more than 3 kids.  

imagehnh1205:
    I have only had 1 c/s but I am an L&D nurse, so I can put some input here.  Usually after the 3rd (even after the 2nd with some high risk ladies), we start thinking that there could be complications in surgery.  If someone is coming in for their 4th c/s at my hospital, we automatically start 2 IVs because the risk of PP hemorrhage is much higher.  Also the risk of having the placenta grow into further layers of the uterus becomes higher the more c/s's you have (placenta accreta).  I personally would feel perfectly comfortable having 3, but after that it would depend on scar tissue and such.  I'd like to have a VBAC with my 2nd to not have limits put on me, but I probably wouldn't want more than 4 kids anyway.  All that being said, the majority of c/s go completely uneventful.

That's really good info.  Thanks! 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm thinking we'll be done at 3 too. So it sounds like it won't be that much of an issue. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Its more to do with the person than the number

It has to do with scar tissue, tone of the uterus, previous history, etc.

I know of a woman who has had 11 c-sections (16 births all together)

This will be my 3rd and no one has batted and eyelash.

We're not done, if everything looks good I'm planning on 6 kids and at this point I have no choice they'll all be c-sections. 

BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
    BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
    BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
    BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
    BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"