Nurseries and Baby Gear

How important is the toddler bed option?

The crib we like goes straight from crib to full, but I'm thinking we could just get bed rails and roll with it, right?  My brother and I didn't have a toddler bed and we managed... but we have advances for a reason, so tell me, is a toddler bed necessary?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: How important is the toddler bed option?

• We have the toddler bed option on our crib but I doubt we end up using it.   More than likely we will move DS to a full bed with rails and keep the crib set up for LO #2. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD went straight from the crib to a twin. DS will do the same.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • we will be using the toddler bed option with DS because we are expecting #2 and they will share a  room, the only other bed we have is a full, which will be fine when we move in a few years and they have their own room, but right now we don't have room for a full sized bed and a crib in their room.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • have had several friends who bought the pack to covert to toddler bed and never used it just got them a real bed and put those safety railings on.

personally we are not going to get a convert kit , we well just get them a regular bed 

• I don't think it's necessary.  DS' crib can convert to a toddler bed but he's going straight to a twin since we need the crib for baby #2.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Not necessary. DD did use a toddler bed for a little bit but that was only because we got it free and DS needed the crib. And you're right we didn't use toddler beds way back when and we all (well, most of us) turned out just fine. Just because it's available today doesn't mean its necessarily an "advance". 
    Photobucket Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • We're going to utilize the option until Bean is potty-trained.  Right now, he's still in the crib, but we're going to convert soon.   BUT, we're doing a completely different room for him when he's in a big boy room (we will have moved by then).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I definitely used the toddler bed, but don't think it's a necessity.  S slept in it until he was 4 and it was a LOT smaller than the twin bed he has now.  It doesn't seem like they are that much smaller but they really are, and his room is not that large.
  • not a necessity, just something nice to have.  some people have to transition out of the crib early for various reasons (new baby, climbing out of crib, etc) and the toddler bed is a better transition since its smaller/lower.  But, if the full bed presents a problem, you can always put the crib mattress or full mattress on the floor for a while before you set the full bed up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We didn't have a convertible crib with my first two, they went into twin beds.  Expecting number three, and I am not really sure what we are getting.  We have moved from Canada, to the States, and weren't planning on having another, due to the fact that we thought we couldn't conceive, and were shocked with this pregnancy.  To me this is not a really great option.  I think we may move this baby when it is ready into a double bed.  This is what my brother and sister did with there two year old, and it seemed to work, so I think this maybe the route that I take.
  • When we converted the crib to a toddler bed my daughter just climbed out of it and in bed with her sister. We took it down and while we were dismantling the crib we just tossed the matress on the floor planning on taking it out to the shead when we were done. She loved it, We pushed it up against the wall and now she will sleep on it. Mostly she sleep at night in her big girl bed but for naps she still sleeps on her crib matress on the floor. Needless to say I am not worried about having the toddler bed option when we get a new crib.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"