Parenting

friend's DS just diagnosed with cancer...

Ugh, I am just sick right now over this. DH just texted me that a couple we are friends with just found out their DS (who is 5) has several tumors that are being removed and he is starting on chemo this week. We do not live very close to them (a few hrs away) so I don't even know what to do aside from letting them know that they are in our prayers. Is there anything else I could do for them? I just can't imagine how they are feeling right now.
Mom to DD#1 December '06, DD#2 Feb '09 and DS March '12

Re: friend's DS just diagnosed with cancer...

• :( do they have other children? maybe offer to babysit for a weekend? Find out what restaurant is near the hospital and get them a giftcard?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesunandsand:
    :( do they have other children? maybe offer to babysit for a weekend? Find out what restaurant is near the hospital and get them a giftcard?

These are great suggestions.  I can't even imagine that kind of news.  I hope that little boy gets better soon.   

• Loading the player...
  • That is just hearbreaking. Hopefully the chemo will be successful.

I would definitely let them know that you are thinking about them, praying for them. Offer to visit over the weekend and take care of other children/pets, maybe send them some premade meals?

Lots of prayers for your friend, no parent should have to go through that :(

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's so sad.   I am sorry to hear about that.  

Dinner?  Or a gift card for take out? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So sad.  I would put together a package of things for the 5yo (and other children if they have any) to do.  Craft stuff, crayons, puzzles, some books, travel games etc.  They are going to have to spend a lot of time in the car, waiting for appointments, etc. and sometimes a few new things to keep you occupied can be a ray of sunshine to a little boy.  Will be sending T&P's to your friends and their son.  (((HUGS)))
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Great ideas. Thank you ladies. And I know they would appreciate all your thoughts and prayers.
  • Hey. I have a friend who has a little boy who just finished up treatment at St. Jude for a tumor in his hand. She's still in contact with some people with kids being treated there and there are several local kids who are battling cancer. If you'd like I can PM her email address and you can pass it along in case your friend ever needs someone to talk to that can relate. She loves helping others in similar situations and I know she won't mind. Hope everything goes well for them.

• imagebelle204:
    Hey. I have a friend who has a little boy who just finished up treatment at St. Jude for a tumor in his hand. She's still in contact with some people with kids being treated there and there are several local kids who are battling cancer. If you'd like I can PM her email address and you can pass it along in case your friend ever needs someone to talk to that can relate. She loves helping others in similar situations and I know she won't mind. Hope everything goes well for them.

Sure, that'd be nice. Thank you.

• Ok. Will send it later when I'm back from lunch with A.

• If it were me needing to deal with it, the thing I would appreciate the most would be sincere offers to watch any other kids, gift cards for food, offers to set up the caring bridge site, etc.  Please God don't let me ever be in that situation!  But just offering to be there is the most important thing - even if being there means praying for them.
  • Prayers

Heather married 10.1.05 Brandon 12.9.06 Kristin 3.22.10 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"