Secondary IF

Experience with Femara?

Just saw an RE for the first time, and he is pretty sure that I didn't ovulate this month based on the u/s (will confirm tomorrow with a blood test.)  I can't take Clomid because of a blood clotting disorder, so he said he would put me on Femara.  I've heard of Femara, but don't know anyone who has had experience with it, so I'm hoping you ladies might be able to help.

Does it work the same as Clomid?  Do you take it the same way as Clomid (for only a few days per month)?  Will I need to go in and have my follies checked after I take it?  Also, I think you are not supposed to take Clomid for more than a few months, is that the same with Femara?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.  I plan to ask the doc these questions tomorrow, but thought I might be able to get some answers from you earlier :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

Re: Experience with Femara?

• I just did my first cycle with Femera (about 5 dpo now).  It is similar to Clomid, I took it days 5 to 9. 

You will still want to be monitored the same at Clomid.

I got far less side effects with Femera than with Clomid, it appeared as though I responded, I have a progesterone draw on Friday to confirm.  We couldn't do IUI this month because of our schedules so I didn't trigger.

HTH!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • It works "the same" as Clomid in that it induces ovulation, but they do different things with your hormones. Femara blocks estrogen.

I also took it days 5-9 of my cycle, and always went in for a day 14 follie check, and day 21 progesterone check. 

It is not the same as Clomid in how many times you can take it -- to my knowledge there isn't a set limit on that yet. My Dr told me we'd try it as many times til I got pregnant, and I did. 

Hope your appt goes well and you respond nicely to the Femara! GL! 

7/09 miracle DD born
    3/11 DX: lean PCOS/anovulatory
    9/11 ovarian drilling to remove cysts + 5mg Femara = BFN
    10/11 5 mg Femara again = BFP, ectopic pregnancy at 5w4d
    11/11 diagnosed with breast cancer
    12/11 bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction
    http://annefightsback.blogspot.com
    Dori
    "Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards