Parenting

Ugggg 4yo DD still in Pull ups at night.

DD who will be 5 in March is still soaking a pull up at night.  If we don't put her in one, she goes in bed and never wakes up,  ends up sleeping in it all night....not an option.  Any advise?  She has been day trained without accidents since she was 2.5. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ugggg 4yo DD still in Pull ups at night.

• And we limit her drinks in the evening, she gets a little water, maybe 2oz after dinner, but that is it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hear ya.  My 5 year old still soaks his pull up at night.  There's no liquids 2 hours before bed, and it still happens.  I think the dr said it's not considered bed wetting til age 6.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just did a really quick internet search (just to make sure that what I was about to say was fact). But basically, there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with your child. 

Toddlers/PreSchoolers bodies are growing so fast, that their bladder just cannot keep up with it.  It is purely physiological and has nothing to do with being lazy or even giving the child liquids a certain time before bed...

https://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/A-Potty-Accidents-Nighttime.html

even overseas....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2054275/Health-notes-Put-night-time-accidents-bed.html

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • totally normal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My 6 almost 7 yr old and 5 almost 6 yr olds all still wear goodnights at night and some nights ds soaks through his. They are all heavy sleepers and even limiting drinks doesn't work. 

I do plan to mention it to the pedi (again) in Maybfor their yearly checkups.  

1st Day of Kindergarten & 1st Grade 08.29.11

Landon * Kaydance * Kennedy
    5/13/05 ******5/24/06

* Baby is due July 24 2012 * Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • DD#1 recently turned 5 and up until a few months ago was in the same situation. For some reason all of sudden she really wanted to wear underwear to bed, so I made sure she had a good mattress pad on (and even put some towels underneath her bedding) and that she went to the bathroom right before she went bed.

She did wet the bed several times before she finally got the hang of it. In fact, after her wetting the bed a number of times in just a few days, I said we were going to go back to pull-ups for  a while and she could try again after a break. She was disappointed and really wanted to go back to wearing underwear so we started a sticker chart where if she woke up with a dry pull-up, she got to put a sticker up and after one consecutive week of stickers, she could go back to trying the panties.

It actually did work (even though sticker charts usually don't work for her - this was something she really wanted). We had to revert back to this about two more times but now she rarely has an accident. She did have one last night, but it had been several weeks since she last had an accident.

Mom to DD#1 December '06, DD#2 Feb '09 and DS March '12
  • Keep her in a pull up.

DD1 has been day trained since 2.5 years and still needs a pull up at night. She's 5.5 yrs, will be 6 in May.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • My dd is the exact same way and I just don't worry about it. I figure that one of these days she'll eventually outgrow it and in the meantime she can just keep wearing a Pull-Up.
  • My oldest turned 6 in December, and he just in the last two weeks started staying dry most of the time.  He still has accidents about 2 times a week.  Up until his birthday, he was soaking through the giant pullups a few times a week.  That was more than 3 years after he was daytime trained.

I asked our ped about it several times, and she kept saying it was totally normal.  My 4 year old still wears a pull-up, and I have no plans to worry about it anytime soon.

• DD is 6 and still wets pull ups at night.  She had her 6 yr well visit yesterday and the Pedi recommended we look into bedwetting alarms.  DD sleeps right through and doesn't even realize she's wet til the morning.

I'm doing research now as there is quite a range of alarms and pricepoints.....

• DS1 still does too. Pedi said it's normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel like my 4.5yr old shouldn't be wetting the bed either, but I'm told its totally normal. Seems like everyone elses kids don't wear pull ups at night...
  • My almost 4 year used to be night trained but has been wetting the bed a few times a week the past 6 months. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My 4 year old daughter is still in a Pull Up at night.  It's wet every morning.  My son soaked his Pull Ups every night until he was almost 6, then one day he just stopped! 
  • Yep, totally normal- she'll do it when she's ready. My DS wasn't even PT'ed at ALL until 2 months before his 4th birthday. 

I know it's developmental, but what worked for us was putting DS in underwear for bed, and putting his pull-up OVER his underwear. That way he could feel it if he peed at night (and knew he didn't like it,) but was still contained in the pull-up. If he woke up dry in the morning, we just re-used the pull-up that next night....so it saved money as well. Once he was dry for a couple weeks in a row (and I was too cheap to buy another pack of pull-ups,) he went without them and never looked back since.

Happy 4th birthday!
    Matthew James 1/11/07
  • Night training is very, very hard and not related to day training at all.  Doctors don't worry about it until kids are older - it is not uncommon for kids at 6 and 7 to still wet the bed at night.  My nephew was around 10 before he was totally night trained and he ended up having to use one of those alarm things that went off whenever he started to pee.  My niece who is 8 still has accidents from time to time.  There isn't really anything you can do to push the night training along faster - limiting drinks after a certain or waking your child to pee is not going to teach their bodies to realize the signs and wake up and get out of bed.  It might stop the accidents but only because you are doing it for them.  I know its hard and frustrating but it will happen when your child's body is ready.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Mine is almost 4 and still in pull-ups at night..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"