High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) time moms - induction, C-section or natural labor?

If you had GD for your last pregnancy, I was just wondering what your birth experience was last time.

Right now all options seem to be on the table.  I meet with my OB again in two weeks, and I plan to ask her which she thinks is most likely, but at this point I know it all depends on how the baby is measuring at my next u/s (at 37 weeks).  She is already measuring at nearly 6 pounds, and when I saw an OB on Thursday (it wasn't my usual OB, someone else in the practice), he said that C-section was likely if the baby was still that far ahead in a few weeks.  My OB mentioned induction the last time I saw her.  I know there is no way to know what will happen, but I'm just curious how likely each of these is.

The OB I just saw said that if the baby has macrosomia, they wouldn't even let me labor because of the potential shoulder damage issue.

Re: GD 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) time moms - induction, C-section or natural labor?

• Options
    I am certain that I had it with my first and that it went undiagnosed (they did the test really early due to a stupid scheduling error).  I was induced at 36 weeks due to high BP.  My labor did not progress at all, so after 24 hours I opted for a c-section.  DS was 9lbs 2oz when he was 4 weeks early.  His head was so big they said he never would have made it out anyway.  They can be off in their measurements, but remember that the baby can be bigger than they estimated, as in my case.  I don't think a big baby is good enough as the sole reason to go straight for a c-section though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • Options

I was scheduled to be induced 2 days after my due date. My doctor doesn't induce until 40 weeks if everything looks good (and both times I've measured right on).

The day before my due date, I went in for a routine NST that showed a slightly irregular heartrate and contractions every 3 minutes. They gave me fluid to stop the contractions, which did not stop, so they went ahead and induced.

I had a great induction, dilated to 10cm on pitocin (unknowingly) with no drugs and delivered a healthy 8.5 pound baby boy 10 hours after they started the pitocin and about 5 hours after I first felt any pain, whatsoever.  But, clearly, my body was already in the early stages, so it wasn't fighting the induction. 

I do wonder what would have happen if I declined the induction and went home, but it all happened fast and was in a mindset that was going to be induced, so when they suggested it, I just went with it. I hope this labor is as easy as my last one!  

Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had GD with my son and had a c-section.  I'm having a repeat c-section with this baby.

With DS, they wouldn't let me go past 38 weeks.  My placenta was deteriorating.  I had zero progress and my doctor said he would induce me, but strongly recommended against it. On my ultrasounds, DS's head was measuring with my due date, but he measured ahead.  When he was born at 38 weeks, he was a shade under 9 lbs. and his shoulders were wider then his head. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had an induction  with a foley cath and then pitocin (because of high BP, not the GD) and everything was going well and I was at 9 cm when I asked the doctor to check me again and they discovered I had a placental abruption. My epi had failed the first time, so they called another anesthesiologist to do the epi again and that time it caused more issues, and they couldn't wait, so they ended up putting me under general and doing a c-section.

It was pretty dramatic, but there is no reason to think that the GD caused the abruption (although it is possible) and that is the real reason I needed the emergency section. I am still a candidate for a vbac this time so far, but that may change as my BP has been wacky and they think I am heading toward pre-e, in which case I will probably end up with a repeat section.

m/c 4/4/11 @11w6d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was scheduled to be induced (by rupturing membrane) at 40 weeks and 3 days. I went into labor naturally 5 hours before my induction and had a natural, med free birth. LO was born at 6.5 pounds even though she was tagged at 7 pounds during the 36 week growth ultrasound.
  • Options

GD with both girls, induced with both girls. #1 - induction started at 38w6d, delievered at 39w2d. Took 56 hours start to finish, in labor for 38 hours. Pushed 20 minutes and delivered a 6lb 11 oz baby (u/s at 38 weeks projected her to be 7lbs at birth). Needed two rounds of cervadil to ripen the cervix and had pitocin on and off for two days. Got stuck at 4 cm, but an epidural and a nap got things moving again.

#2 - induction started at 38w6d, delivered at 39w. Took 23 hours start to finish, was in labor for 22 hours. Pushed 5 minutes and delivered a 6 lbs baby (u/s at 36 weeks had her at 6lbs 1 oz - obviously that one was off). Cervadil sent me into labor, pitocin had to be started to help regulate contractions. 

C-section due to size was not an option with my OBs - unless the baby is measuring over 10 lbs they suggest giving induction a chance first. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I had insulin-dependent GD with DS (tested -ve in this pregnancy).  I had an u/s at 38w2d, showing DS to be 10 lbs.  I had a second u/s at 39w2d that showed DS to be 10.5 lbs.  We were shocked at the estimated weight as I was measuring small and hadn't gained much weight.  I had a c-section at 39w2d and DS was 8lbs 1oz so the u/s was way off.  If he wasn't measuring big, they wouldn't have let me go past my due date but would have induced me by then.  I'm having a scheduled c-section this time at 38w6d since they're less than 17 months apart. 

mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • Options
    I had diet/exercise controlled GD with DD.  I went into labor on my own  at 39 weeks, Dr. broke my water, and baby was born about an hour and a half later.  Other than having my water broken, there were no other interventions during my labor and delivery.
  • Options
    DS2 measured 3 weeks ahead 3 days before my induction.  OB insisted that the u/s was off because my fundal measurement were right on track. My induction was at 39 weeks because I was insulin controlled.  I was very favorable and they started my induction with breaking my water.  DS2 was here in under 2 hours.  He was almost 9.5lbs.  Pushed for under 20min.  DS1 didn't "pave the way" either since he was almost 5 weeks early. I think what you need is the shoulder measurements to help you decide which route to go.  The size of the baby as a whole might not be an issue.  My friend decided to go right for the c/s because her baby was measuring huge (no GD).  It was a good choice for her since he was over 10lbs.  No matter what you decide it won't be the wrong decision.  The birth of your child will be amazing no matter how he or she gets here.    
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thank you all for sharing your stories with me.  I know that every birth is different... so we'll just have to wait and see!
  • Options

Late, but I'll still share!

With both, I was diagnosed early and insulin-dependant.

DD#1 - Induced at 39w4d. In labor for ~24 hours, stalled at 6cm (for something like 4 hours), decided on a C/S. Really happy with our choice. Baby was 7lbs14oz.

DD#2 - Planned C/S at 39w4d. Really happy with our choice. Recovery was a breeze the second time around. Baby was 8lbs0oz. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"