High-Risk Pregnancy

When did you ladies get diagnosed with GD?

My doctor did have me get tested for GD until the end of my 27th week.  I am now early into my 28th week and he called me today to let me know that I have GD and need to meet with a nutritionist.  I feel like I am being diagnosed late.  Is that the case or is this normal.  I'm feeling a little anxious and hope the extra time hasn't impacted the baby too much.  Also, when do you ladies get your meters and start testing at home?

Re: When did you ladies get diagnosed with GD?

• Got the meter within a day of testing. I tested mildly positive at 25 weeks. I hate testing >: I have been controlling it well with what I eat. 
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I was diagnosed at 30 weeks last week. I just met with the endocrinologist today, and won't get in with a nutritionist until next Wed. I bought a glucometer the day I found out I failed. Seeing the normal numbers at home brought my panic level down! I couldn't take the anticipation.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just got "officially" diagnosed today...at almost 33 weeks. After my 3 hour, they said only one of the hours were really high. The other 2 were "within range." However, I'd done a little testing on my own with my sister's kit and had some high numbers. After my appt last week, they wanted me to track for a week and come in today. Morning numbers tended to be too high (99-118), so they put me on Glyburide today. I ate well all last week, but it wasn't enough to control those numbers Sad

I'm not measuring abnormal though...and have only gained 20 lbs total (actually lost 3 this past week), so I suppose it could be worse...

image image
  • 9 weeks.  WIth my son I was diagnosed around 27 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was diagnosed at 28 weeks and from what I understand, that seems to be the time when we are tested with it because they've found that's generally the timeframe when it develops in pregnancy.  You're fine in terms of impacting the baby.

It took a little over a week for me to get in with the nutritionist and then a week later saw the endocrinologist to go over numbers, etc.  I got my meter when I went to the nutritionist (didn't have to pay extra for it, other than the lancets and test strips at the pharmacy after the sample ran out) and started testing 4x a day at that point.  Then, when I saw the endocrinologist a week or so later, he put me on insulin because no matter what I tried, I could not get my fasting number down to where it needs to be.  But now, everything is fine.  My endocrinologist also provides my insulin (pen) so I'm not running to the pharmacy or paying extra out of pocket for it.

After meeting with the nutritionist, I actually found that I wasn't eating enough, and certainly not enough of what I should have been eating.  It's not that bad overall, in my opinion. And on days when I get weary of it and just want to eat whatever I want, I just remind myself that this is all for my baby's benefit.

Hang in there...you'll be fine. 

Jacob Alexander was welcomed to the world on March 15th at 9:46 pm weighing 7 lbs 13 oz, 20 inches long.
  • I was diagnosed with DS at 28 weeks. I got in the following week to see a nutritionist and started insulin at about 32 weeks when it was clear I wasn't able to control my fasting numbers with diet. This pregnancy the tested early because of my history and I was diagnosed just before 20 weeks. I had an appt the following week and I am currently on Metformin to see if it helps my fasting numbers. It doesn't seem to be doing a very good job, so I expect to be on insulin sooner rather than later since my fasting numbers are the only ones I have problems with.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was diagnosed at 25 weeks.  I think testing for it anywhere between 24 and 28 weeks is normal unless you have a family history or other symptoms that might make them want to test earlier.  I actually think testing too much earlier could backfire.  With DS1 they tested me at 21 weeks and I passed, but I'm fairly certain that I had it and it just developed later than that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • With DS I was about 32 weeks. I passed the first test that was given at 28 weeks, but was retested.  With this pregnancy I was diagnosed at 9 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 28 weeks is when they usually test for GD. I had to do my 3 hr glucose screen at 21 weeks and had GD with my first baby. when they do your routine bloodwork from month to month they keep an eye on your sugar prior to 28 weeks at least at most ob offices.  I am just over 4wks with my second and did my 1 hour screen today because of  my pior history. Everyone  is different.  Dont worry too much though Im sure you are in good hands with your drs.  My sugars with my first were crazy high then crazy low until we regulated them like 2 weeks after dx and my son was born 100% perfect!!!!  Good Luck!  I got a script for the stuff and started testing right away so I had reading for my peri.
  • I did a 1-hr glucose test at 16 weeks and passed at 106!

Then I did the same test at 28 weeks and failed miserably at 190!  The Dr is even skipping the 3-hr test because it was so high.  I am going to see the high risk dr and nutritionist next tuesday, but in the meanwhile, i'm super anxious about whatever i put in my mouth!  this diagnosis scares me and i am super saddened by it.  But... I know my baby and i will be healthier for it!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"