Trouble TTC

does sperm count fluctuate?

Hi Ladies,

I had my first IUI this morning (we were just doing TI the last few months) and the doctor informed me that my husband's sperm count was low.  It was 1.6 mil post wash.  They gave him an A+ after his semen analysis so now I'm worried about what's going on.  She said it could just be a fluke, but I can't help but wonder if the analysis was the fluke and this is the norm.  I responded really well to the clomid and didn't get pregnant.  Does sperm count often fluctuate?  Should I push for another semen analysis?  The doctor (my RE's partner) said that we will see how it is at the next IUI, but I don't want to go through the expense of another injectable cycle and deal with all the needles if there is another problem we need to address. 

Thanks

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: does sperm count fluctuate?

• It absolutely can fluctuate. Men reproduce sperm every 90 days. And in my experience my husbands 4 SA's were all different but the 1st one was catastrophic. The 1st one was what made us go straight to IVF and since then his last 3 are actually average, minus a low sperm count (but not terribly low). Stay positive. 

I am not a big all natural person but I will say that my husband takes alot of vitamins and super foods that help with count, motility and morphology. We thought what do we have to lose, so I would recommend looking into that. 

ME- 35    DH- 40
    TTC #1 
    IVF#1 w ICSI- 4/20/11 ER, 6 Eggs, 4 Fertilized, 4/25/11 5 day ET, 2 blasts- 5/4- Beta= BFN- No Frosties 

IVF #2 w ICSI-6/21/11 ER, 4 Eggs, 2 Fertilized, 6/24/11 3 day ET 2 embryos- Beta 7/5/11- BFN- No frosties.
    NEW RE
    IUI #1- started 50ius of follistim 1/25, IUI 2/3/12 - BFN
    AMH-0.73- DOR 2/2012

IUI #2- 3/17/12 started 200ius of Follistim , 3/24/12 added ganirelix, 225ius Follistim and 75ius of repronex, IUI- 3/30/12, Beta April 13, 2012-BFN

Appointment with Dr. Schoolcraft at CCRM July 18, 2012
    WAITING ON A MIRACLE AT THIS POINT
    AMH tested again 1/2013- 1.4!!!!
    IUI #3- 1/14/13 started 200ius of Follistim, 1/20/13 added menopur and ganirelix, IUI 1/25/13. Positive HPT 2/6/13- Beta #1- 193- BFP!!! 2/8/13-Beta#2-426.6
    2/26 ultrasound #1- TWINS!
    Delivered a healthy beautiful baby boy on 10/17/13 10ls. 2 ounces

TTC #2 
    AMH .75 VERY POOR RESPONDER
    IUI #4 cancelled due to only one egg responding 
    IUI#5 cancelled on CD 10,  (3) follicules were still very small even on 300 IU's of Follistim. Also found fluid in my uterus from C-section scar
    BFP- 8/9/15 
    Beta #1 8/10/15 13DPO-   9.2 (fingers crossed this sticks)
    Beta #2 8/12/15 15DPO   39- progesterone 18 
    Beta #3 8/14/15    111- progesterone 17.5
    Ultrasound August 31- 

PAIF or SAIF Welcome

• imagemeganfauer:

It absolutely can fluctuate. Men reproduce sperm every 90 days. And in my experience my husbands 4 SA's were all different but the 1st one was catastrophic. The 1st one was what made us go straight to IVF and since then his last 3 are actually average, minus a low sperm count (but not terribly low). Stay positive. 

I am not a big all natural person but I will say that my husband takes alot of vitamins and super foods that help with count, motility and morphology. We thought what do we have to lose, so I would recommend looking into that. 

Thanks for your response.  I will look into it.  I'm so lost as to how he can get an A+ at his analysis and now have it so low.  They said we were very close to having to cancel the IUI.

• Loading the player...
  • What was his count for the SA?  I know MH had a "huge drop" from that to our IUI (160mil at SA to 20mil at IUI).  However, they are only keeping the best sperm, so that would explain some number dropping.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't cancel you with those numbers

• imageKdgTeacher:

What was his count for the SA?  I know MH had a "huge drop" from that to our IUI (160mil at SA to 20mil at IUI).  However, they are only keeping the best sperm, so that would explain some number dropping.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't cancel you with those numbers

I don't remember what his count was at his SA, but I left a message for my nurse asking her to call me with those numbers.  I just know they said he had "excellent" results and an "A+".  I'm so frustrated because they didn't even consider doing an IUI for the first three treatment cycles since his numbers were so good.  Now that I'm reading everything online, I'm also surprised they didn't cancel.  My RE is out of the office for the next couple of days and I'm so upset about this.  I wish I could talk to her about it.

• Sperm cycles about 90 days or so, so depending on what was going on 90 days ago, counts can definitely fluctuate. From my research, caffeine and alcohol can really affect counts. My DH has stopped caffeine, alcohol and started eating some "superfoods" and taking a whole concoction of vitamins and it appears to be helping. I would definitely do another SA before you do another IUI. No sense in wasting money!
  • imageRebecki1414:
    Sperm cycles about 90 days or so, so depending on what was going on 90 days ago, counts can definitely fluctuate. From my research, caffeine and alcohol can really affect counts. My DH has stopped caffeine, alcohol and started eating some "superfoods" and taking a whole concoction of vitamins and it appears to be helping. I would definitely do another SA before you do another IUI. No sense in wasting money!

My husband is definitely going to stop drinking caffeine and alcohol now that we got these results this morning.  He takes a daily vitamin but that's about it.  I am just so stunned that it could drop so dramatically in such a short period of time.

• We went to a top urologist last year and he told us that sperm count naturally fluctuates in cycles over a year or so.  He said that DH's sample was great but that he recommends freezing sperm because of the natural fluctuation.  We haven't done that, but I thought it was an interesting point.
  • Definitely, our pre-wash sperm counts (Tot Motile post wash if done) were something like

11 (1),

21 (6),

6(2.3),

15 (6),

15 (10),

21 (??)

TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• Thanks for your responses!  My nurse finally called me back last night and she gave me additional information that the RE filling in for my RE didn't bother to mention.  His pre-wash count was normal (~40 mil) with 47% motility (a bit low) but he lost almost everything in the wash resulting in the 1.6 mil.  So frustrating!  We are going to do another semen analysis with a test wash.  I don't understand why they didn't do a test wash the first time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"