May 2012 Moms

Sad I didn't get to check in on baby girl

I was supposed to have a midwife appointment this morning. I really look forward to every midwife appointment because I just love spending an hour focusing on baby girl and chatting with my wonderful midwives, not to mention checking on her growth, hearing about her, hearing her heartbeat!

This morning I woke up for my appointment to a text from my midwives that we need to reschedule because they are doing an extended postpartum time with a new mom who had just delivered. (Background: my midwives have one mw and the student with you through all of labor, and call in a second midwife from the practice or the community for support at the very end. Since mom delivered in the middle of the night they called in the second practice midwife, assuming they'd be available for appointments by the next day. Then I guess mom needed extended help from them.). Then I went on Facebook and saw their update that mom had delivered an 11 pound baby naturally! Wow! Go her!

I'm glad my midwives are putting the focus where it should be: on the new mom. ...but I will admit, I am a bit sad I didn't get to hear from baby girl today! Plus the only times they had available for reschedule my DH may not be able to make it. We're talking about GD test options this appt, so I wish he was there with me to ask good questions. Oh well! I know if I need them when it's my turn I will be their focus!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Sad I didn't get to check in on baby girl

• I know this feeling! My last appointment there was a mom who had just gone into labor. They keep 1-2 midwives on staff at the center and then one is on call (there's 4 or 5 at my center). That day there was only one on staff and then the on call mw. The on staff mw was assisting the mom and so my appointment was pushed back about an hour, but I completely agree with you. One day that attention is going to be on me and I want to know that laboring mama's are their first priority. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagewife07mom09:

wow-you have appts that last one HOUR?

I think thats awful, how to you make the time for it if you work? Im guessing you SAH?

My prenatal appts aremaybe 15 min!

11 lb with no meds-yikes no thanks! 

They schedule one hour, we can make it shorter if we want. For STM or more they often schedule just 30 min if that's what the mom wants. I could be in and out, but MWs want to establish a relationship with you, too, so are happy to talk. The non-talking portion of the appointment takes about 5 min.

I am SAH, but my DH works FT 40 minutes from where we have appointments and he has still come to every one. It works. Also, since MWs tend to be more accomodating, they work until 7 or 8 o'clock so we can put appointments in the evening if we want.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"