Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Concerned about a friend's baby...

Their baby is about 2 weeks old and they are first time parents. I am a first time mother to be but I've learned a lot from my other friends having children. What I noticed is they don't always burp the baby after she is finished eating, they also claim she's very fussy. I see the two problems as a connection and after sharing my concerns with my mom, she seemed to think that it could actually be very harmful to the baby. Like her little bowls could explode or something? Is my mom being over dramatic? My thoughts are that the couple are new and learning, that they will make mistakes and will eventually learn from them. That there is no harm as long as the child is not actually suffering. So that's my question, is the child in actual danger of not being burped every time she's fed?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Concerned about a friend's baby...

• I don't think baby is in any danger at all, but you could maybe next time you are over there say and they are feeding her...something like "how well does she burp after her feedings? I hear some babies are harder to burp then others" I think a question like that esp with you expecting would be fine and might bring it to their attention.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The baby will burp if she has to burp.  Or it'll come out as a fart.  She is in NO danger.  

The parents are in "danger" of the baby spitting up all over them and their furniture but they'll learn.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby is breastfed and almost never burped at that age. The lactation consultant at the hospital said that was completely normal - formula-fed babies tend to take in more air and need to burp more. Now at 7 weeks, she still only burps about 25% of the time and is - for the most part - a very happy baby!
  • She's fine.

Every new parent has things to learn. Let them learn. I disagree with the other poster who said mention something... it's not harmful, it's not life threatening, so let it be. Fussiness could be connected to the not burping, but it could also be a million other things as well. 

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Lurking... But I can't say I've ver heard of a baby or anyone else suffering fatal harm from gas... Sounds a bit like some of the alarmist things Dr. Oz says (anyone remember when he said nose picking was deadly too?)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • She will be fine, let them learn the hard way. You gotta be careful about telling new parents what you think they should do... Unsolicited advice, ITs easy fir them to think your attacking their parenting and get offended
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My MIL is a lactation consultant and she said in some cultures/countries they don't burp their babies. It's fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my lo doesnt burp all the time. she'll sometimes burp like an hour after i feed her on her own
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's why I didn't say anything and was just making sure. I don't want to be the new mom that thinks she knows everything or throwing everything I've heard on them. Thanks ladies, I won't say anything.
  • If something needs to come out, it's gonna happen (air, food, poop). 
  • She's fine.  I've actually seen research saying that burping a baby is totally unnecessary.  If they need to burp, they will or they'll have gas.  It may make baby uncomfortable, but won't hurt her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"