Baby Names

second guessing my 3wk old baby boy's name...please help!

hi everyone,

i'm looking for your help...my son, sebastian william, was born january 10.  since his birth, my husband husband has refused to call him his name, saying that he can't even say his name without getting sick.  that being said, he never really liked the name to begin with, but we weren't able to come to terms with a name in the hospital and upon discharge we just agreed on sebastian.

we are now considering changing it to the only other name we both semi-like, sullivan.  we have a 2 year old daughter named emerson and our last name is shine.  i'm looking for something multi-syllabic that sounds well with shine and forms a good sib-set with emerson.

sebastian has always been my fave boy name, but i kinda think sullivan is nice as well...any advice?  which do you prefer? other name suggestions???  thanks in advance...

Re: second guessing my 3wk old baby boy's name...please help!

• I have to say that Sebastian Shine sounds like a tongue twister to me. I can't imagine changing my baby's name at three weeks old though : /

ETA: Maybe you can come up with a NN that you both like as opposed to going through the pain of changing the name?

• Honestly going through changing your baby's name is really difficult especially if your not 100% sure you want to do it. I think Sebastian is a very nice name, NMS, but nice. Sebastian and Emerson sound really cute together =) stay with it!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Instead of going through the legality of changing it - what about using his middle name as first, any nicknames you can agree on? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• your husband gets sick when he says your son's name? That's a problem... why didn't he speak up about how much he hated the name sooner? Or is this a recent development?

I suppose in this case, I would change the name. Sullivan is nice enough.

• imagemishfull:
    Instead of going through the legality of changing it - what about using his middle name as first, any nicknames you can agree on? 

I agree.  Can he go by William?

I also don't understand how someone agrees to a name that makes him/her sick, but if it is really that problematic, I guess changing it to Sullivan wouldn't be terrible--just a lot of work.

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• I love the name Sebastian, but if your husband won't even say it, I think you have to change it. Now's the time. He's so little, he'll never know the difference.
    VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• I think it's hard when they're brand new, it's like their grown-up names don't "fit" yet. Both of my boys went mostly by "Baby" or another cutesy NN for a couple months.

If the issue is that your husband really HATES Sebastian, change it. If he is just unsure, doesn't think it fits him, etc, try a NN. I think in time, he'll grow into his name. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I LOVE Sebastian, it is one of my very favorites. BUT, if your husband hates it, it's sort of a non-starter.  I also think Sullivan is really cute and both of them go really well with Emerson.  On the one hand, I think you will both get used to Sebastian over time, but if your husband really does hate it, I would say change it sooner rather than later.
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I guess I would be calling him William then.  Personally, I don't think ANY "S" name really goes with the last name Shine! IMO
  • imagemishfull:
    Instead of going through the legality of changing it - what about using his middle name as first, any nicknames you can agree on? 

Did your DH express this "sickness" before you had the baby? Geez. 

I would compromise and come up with a nn from the middle name. William is cute, as are Will and Liam. Or Billy if that floats your boat. 

Bastian sounds like bastard to me, sorry. 

• I think you both need to think on this some more...or at least wait until you are out of the post-partum haze and thinking clearly.

Sebastian is a fine name and I think it's ridiculous it makes your husband sick..I think it's harsh and overdramatic on his part. It's not like you picked out a swear word or something. Also, if it bothered him that much he should've said No when you were choosing/at the hospital.

One of my bfs has a little boy named Sebastian....and they call him Ash a lot...I think it's cute..there's just started as a silly nn and spun off.

Also I don't think there's enough of a difference between Sebastian and Sullivan to make either of you happy or go through the work.

• I don't think I could ever change my baby's name. Could you go with a nn? What about Ian. Or a version of nn from his mn?
    image image

• Here is an idea...get rid of your H and keep your baby's name exactly as is. geez he gets sick saying it...
  • thanks everyone for your opinions!  i agree with getting rid of the hubby and keeping the baby's name!  i also agree that sullivan and sebastian are so similar that it's not worth the hassle to change it.  my husband agreed to the name after delivery bc we couldn't come to terms during pregnancy on a name and we were sort of pushed to make a decision ASAP by the hospital staff.  i guess he thought that he would get used to it...but not so much.  ugh :-(
  • Please don't change your child's name. First of all, it's adorable. I love the name Sebastian, and the whole name sounds very nice together, imo. Second of all, I think you need to tell your hubby to grow up. Saying that he can't say his own child's name with getting sick is so childish - why in the heck did he agree to it if he hated it so much? That was his opportunity to speak up. It's gone, so now you need to deal with the name you've given your child.

I grew up with a Sebastian, and he went by Seb - I've always thought that was cute. Good luck!!! 

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • imageIndynurse12:

I have to say that Sebastian Shine sounds like a tongue twister to me. I can't imagine changing my baby's name at three weeks old though : /

ETA: Maybe you can come up with a NN that you both like as opposed to going through the pain of changing the name?

I agree with this.  I wouldn't change it I would come with a NN you both like.  sometimes ppl call theiur children names that are not their names.  Like "Bug"  or another name.  I like Seb for a nn.  Your child is 3 weeks old- your dh needs to get ove rthe name- you had 9 months to think of the name and this is what you choose.  seriously its not that bad!  

lolololo
  • Your husband needs to GROW UP. He shouldn't have agreed if he hated it.

Together you should sit down, and pick out a suitable nickname from the perfectly lovely name your child already has. 

Ideas: Seb, Ash, Ian, Will, William, Liam, etc. There are about a million opportunities there. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Your husband sounds like a prick. He shouldn't have agreed to the name if he is that disgusted by it. Too damn bad for him now - he needs to suck it up and grow up.

FWIW, I think Sebastian William is a wonderful name! 

Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • I had a student named Sebastian a few years back.  His nick name was Sebi (soft e).  I'm going to assume as he gets older he'll grow into the name Sebastian.  Good luck!
  • People DO change their children's names. And depending on your state, amending the birth certificate within the forst 6-12 months might be less complicated than doing it afterward.

But it's a big decision, so I'd have a really long discussion about it.

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I agree with PPS on calling him by his middle name.  I go by a nickname of my middle name, so I don't think its that weird.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What names does your husband like? Honestly, I don't think changing his name to Sullivan will make your husband happy. I would actually call your son William. Or, come up with a nickname. Personally, I think you should go ahead and change his name if there is a name so great that you are both in love with. It's a hassle, though. If you do, the sooner the better.
    m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think if you are debating it changing it, do it.  We change DD name when she was about 3 months. 

But, I do think that if you decide to change it, change it to something you love.  I don't love DD's name now and I wish that I ahd taken more time to decide on a new name. 

• I think it is a nice name and you shouldn't go through all the hassle of trying to change it. I do think however that maybe you and DH can agree on some sort of nickname to call him that will not "make him sick." I think it was majorly wrong of him to agree on a name that invokes his gag reflex LOL. I think that if you do decide to go through the trouble of changing it, you guys BOTH better be IN LOVE with the name, not just something that you think is OK. I actually know someone who went through the whole name change process with their baby, and not to scare you, but it was a total disaster- so just be prepared for the aggravation that you may have to put up with if that is your decision.

• I like the suggestion of Ian for a nn.  Ian Shine flows nicely. 
  • imageCiderWench:

Your husband sounds like a prick. He shouldn't have agreed to the name if he is that disgusted by it. Too damn bad for him now - he needs to suck it up and grow up.

FWIW, I think Sebastian William is a wonderful name! 

This made me LMAO..thank you, I needed a good laugh and agree!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sorry but it sounds to me like your H is having some post baby depression or something. That seems WAY EXTREME to say that saying his son's name makes him sick and he won't say it. That is really ridiculous.

Sebastian William is a lovely name. I agree with pps to use a nn for either the fn or the mn that you can both enjoy.

• Tell your husband to grow up and get over it. Give your LO a nn and be done with it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think your husband is being a big baby.  Even if you badgered him in to agreeing to the name in the hospital, he needs to grow a pair and either stand up to you or put forth more effort into selecting a name he likes.  Just agreeing to is so that he can complain about it for eternity is a little passive aggressive imo. 

I'm sure you mentioned Sebastian was your favorite through your whole pregnancy, so if he really hated it he ought to have made that perfectly clear in advance of the birth, and then not agreed to it in the hospital.  

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsFoof:
    I like the suggestion of Ian for a nn.  Ian Shine flows nicely. 

I completely agree! 

photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Sullivan is a fine name...if you are naming a dog.  Just kidding, but seriously nms.  I love Sebastian too, but I hesitated using it because it's so long.  I don't really have any good suggestions, but I don't like Sullivan.
  • Yeah, "Ian" is a good nickname!
    m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

• I think the previous posters have given some great nicknames to try without having to change your son's name. I personally like Ian, Will and Liam. 

You could also go with a generic male nickname like Chip, Duke, Ace, Sonny or Bud. 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Your H is a giant douche, fyi.
  • I would stick with Sebastian, I like that name a lot. I'm not a huge fan of the name Sullivan, it still doesn't flow super well with Shine.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    blog
    Diagnosed hypothyroidism.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"