High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone have low AFI?

I have posted here a few times but for those who may not know me I was dx with Chronic hypertension around 20 weeks. I have been having biweekly NST and BPP and on Thursday they found that my AFI decreased to 7.1 so they sent me to L&D I got IVF and steroid shots in case we had to deliver. When they repeated the US my AFI increased to 9.6 so they sent me home.

Today I'm back were I started with an AFI of 7 

They also said my placenta is starting to look old. :-(

So the plan is to drink 3L of water a day and coconut water. I have a special ultrasound on Monday to asses the placenta. I really hope to keep this little girl in here a lot longer!

Anyone have any experience with this?

2004- DX with PCOS

6/2011- Gonal-F + Ganirelix + Oviderl and Crinone= BFP

7/7/2011 Beta #1 119 Beta #2 563 Beta#3 4178

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

http://tinypic.com/r/25z7709/8

Re: Anyone have low AFI?

• AFI can vary by a few numbers, like 2 or 3 cm, depending on the hydration of the mother as well as how the baby is positioned.  It is a measurement of the vertical length of the largest pocket in each of the 4 quadrants of the uterus. If the baby is curled up in a ball vs. arms and legs all out can vary the AFI by a few numbers.  I had asked my MFM because the value had decreased from 6.1 to 5.2 and he said that because of the variability, he considered them to be basically the same--ie, stable. 

GL with your next US.  Do you know what specifically they will be doing to assess the placenta? 

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm just lurking, but I wanted to let you know that I had low AFI a few times throughout my pregnancy, starting around 28 weeks.  I was hospitalized twice for it.  With me, I was drinking approx. 18 glasses of water a day (yes, 18 glasses) at the height of it all, and it seems in retrospect like my placenta just went on a little vacation from weeks 28-32 or so.  It was not responsive to the liquids I was taking in at all.  (In between hospitalizations 1 and 2, I was drinking 12 glasses of water a day.  My AFI when I was admitted the second time, after 7 days of 12 glasses/day, was 4.)  By contrast, my AFI rose nicely whenever I was on IV fluids.  I was very worried about DD coming early (like I said, my first hospitalization was at 28 weeks), but my doc assured me that as long as I was still responding to IV fluids, they could keep sustaining my pregnancy by administering them.  (I didn't love the idea of hanging around at the hospital on an IV - either inpatient or outpatient - but it was a heck of a lot more appealing than having DD at 28-29 weeks.)

After about a month of constant ultrasounds, NSTs, etc., my AFI stabilized, and DD kept cooking until her due date.  My experience was that just b/c it looks like there could be a placenta problem, doesn't mean that all hope is lost for keeping your LO inside.  I never got a good explanation for why my placenta went on hiatus, but it was temporary, which was good enough for me.

GL.  Hope your LO keeps on baking like mine did.

My BFP Chart

Becoming a better role model for my daughter, one day at a time

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"