Adoption
Options

Just saying hi - adoptee (long)

Hey all... I've been wanting to post here and just wanted to tell you my adoption story because I'm so grateful i was adopted. 

My parents had been TTC for 9 years and weren't having any success and it ended up with my mom having to have a hysterectomy because of a ruptured appendix. They decided to go the adoption route and applied to an agency in Atlanta, GA called Friends of Children (no longer exists today). They were told by the agency that they could be in for a 2 year wait. They way my parents tell the story is that when they applied they said they would take any baby. Boy, girl... black, white, asian, purple, pink, orange with spots, red hair, brown hair, green hair, no hair (lol). So they did their home study and settled in for the wait. TWO MONTHS later they got a call from the agency saying there was a baby girl they had matched with them, she was two weeks old (and i bet i was pretty cute... i'm just sayin) and currently in foster care and would be available to pick up THAT AFTERNOON. My mom called my dad and they both left work to go to the agency to fill out paperwork and at 4pm that day they brought me home. My dad had to stop by the store and get a car seat because my parents had literally bought nothing. Not a single diaper, not a crib... not anything. The did have a their extra bedroom cleared out to be a nursery but it had only been 2 months since they applied. All of their work friends (from both of their jobs) and also their personal friends had heard that I was coming home as a big surprise that day and about 60 people were at their house with everything they needed, the crib was set up in the nursery along with a changing table and about 4 months worth of diapers. My dad's boss's wife bought me a wardrobe that lasted me until i was 2 years old (they worked at Macy's). It was like a massive spontaneous baby shower that got thrown together in the course of 7 hours. My parents still tear up when they talk about it because everybody really rallied together and made it happen. 

I know things probably don't happen this quickly anymore with adoption, but this was 25 years ago so maybe it was different back then. 

I'm really grateful for my mom and my dad and that they chose to adopt me. I've had a wonderful life with people who love me and I've never "felt" adopted.

Thank you so much to all the couples looking to adopt and to the birth moms because of people like you my life has been a blessing. I ended up right were i needed to be, with the people I needed to be with and there's not a day that goes by that I'm not proud that I have the family I have.

Lots of love,

Erin 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just saying hi - adoptee (long)

• Options
    That's a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing Smile

Mommy to DS#1 7/1/04 and DS#2 6/15/07
    M/C 2/16/10 at 9wks 5 days~ D&C 2/18/10
    BFP#4 5/17/11 C/P.    
    BFP#5 11/30/12 Surprise! DS#3 born 7/29/13

• Options

They still tear up after all this time?  Well of course they do!  I don't know you at all & I'm in tears! :)

What a wonderful testament to the blessing of adoption from two parts of the equation.  You were born into so much love and that continued.  We can all pray that the same happens to every woman on this board, be it a birthmom, adoptive mom, or adoptee.  While you said how proud you are, I can imagine how proud your parents are of you.  Thanks so much for sharing!

Todd & Kristin, 3.10.07

After 5.5 years of loss, heartbreak, and empty arms, our dreams were fulfilled through the beautiful, selfless gift of adoption. We are amazingly blessed!

Blog About Us | Blog About RPL/IF/Adoption

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you do much for posting this!!!  What a beautiful story and testimony to the beauty of adoption!
  • Options

Thank you for sharing!

And yeah, sometimes it happens that quickly, even now.

• Options
    imagekekis:

They still tear up after all this time?  Well of course they do!  I don't know you at all & I'm in tears! :)

Me too! What a beautiful story! 

Photobucket My Favorite Part of Spring~Red Sox Baseball!
  • Options
    thanks so much for posting your wonderful story!!!!!
    After 7 years of marriage and 5 unsuccessful IVFs, we have been granted the gift of adopting a baby boy, born 4/21/11.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing Smile Sounds like you have a wonderfully large family that loves and cares for you.
  • Options

What a wonderful story.  It made me tear up too.  My brother has a similar story to tell.  My parents were told it would take years to adopt and after just a few months they got a call that a baby who was just 3 weeks old was available for adoption.  They were on vacation 6 hours away and got the call.  They came back and the agency said to take the baby and spend the night at the local motel and then let them know if they wanted to adopt this baby.  They took my brother to the motel for about 1 hour and then called the agency and said they didn't need to stay any longer that they wanted to adopt.  Our adoption (although we had to wait a little longer) happened fast too.  We got the call about Ben the day after he was born and then drove 12 hours to take him home from the hospital the next day.  We didn't have anything either and bought some things on the way out of town.  I love all these special stories.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

What a beautiful adoption story. Thank you for sharing this and it makes it all so worth it.

• Options

What a beautiful story!!! I don't think that they happen his quickly very often (sadly) but my adoption did! We weren't even looking at adoption and got a text from my cousin saying she knew of a baby being born soon, did we want it.... uh, yeah?

So, 50 days later she was here! Perfectly healthy and the light of our lives, so miracles do still happen!

God bless adoption! 

• Options
    Thanks for posting this.  I am typing this with tears in my eyes.  We have a son whom we adopted at 2 weeks old and are waiting to welcome another baby.  It has only been 3 1/2 years since we brought our son home, but we had a welcoming committee too (not that large) with our wonderful family and friends!  I am glad that you feel the way you do.  Sounds like your parents did a wonderful job raising you.  I hope we do that well with our son (and hopefully another baby.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"