Preemies
Options

Need Advice from NICU Moms

Ladies - I need your advice.

I have a friend whose 8 week old baby has been admitted to NICU due to a respiratory illness and a viral infection.  The baby is starting to get ahead of this but she is going to be there for awhile.

I want to help my friend. I'm thinking about baking muffins/cookies, making trail mix or other snacky things that she can grab and eat on the run in the morning or afternoon when she's heading to the hospital or just hungry.  Do you think that would be helpful to a worried, stressed mom?  Have any better suggestions?

TIA 

Re: Need Advice from NICU Moms

• Options
    I think that would be a really sweet thing to do for your friend! We were constantly eating take out bc there we had no time or energy to cook when you are running back and forth to the hospital. I think it would be really helpful to have some snacks that are easy to take with her!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think that is very nice! If she has older kids it also might be something she can give to them as a quick snack. I say go for it!
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think that's a really sweet idea! Like a pp said my husband and I have eaten a lot of take out/cafeteria food and have also lived off of the meals that our family members have been giving us. Another good idea might be some candies or mints to put in their pockets (at least with us the air was so dry that your mouth dried up) lotion (a combo of the air being dry and having to wash your hands a ton that your hands dry up) or drink mixes for water bottles/instant coffee for hot water. 
  • Options

eat and grabs foods are great. as r items that can heat up easy. or be stored in the freezer for a quick meal. if it wasnt for friends/family making us stuff im not sure i would have eaten. 

i remember one day a friend picked me up at the hospital to take me to an appt and then home(i couldnt drive cause of the c-section) it was like 3pm and i hadnt eat a thing that day. i had a cooler of food my sister packed me that morning when she dropped me off. when i got in her car i ate and ate and ate some more. its was a little crazy. 

i also lived off these rice crispy treat things(homemade with cheerios and had dried cranberries) and fruit for weeks. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I say go for it! thats sweet & helpful.Maybe getting nails done?

• Options
    gas cards, parking money, and gift cards to restaurants around the hospital.  Ate out almost every meal while E was in the hospital and for us parking was $20/day.  Once the baby was home it was great to have some freezer meals too.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies - good to know I'm on the right track.  Going to try to get some cooking done today while DH does daddy-duty with my 7-week old.  Wish me luck and a sleepy baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"