September 2011 Moms

Paci: Can't go to sleep without it; can't sleep with it.

I've been trying to sleep train DD for the last 2 nights. The first night, she went to sleep without her paci but eventually, around 5 a.m. the screaming wasn't relenting so I gave in and gave her her paci.

Last night, she screamed to the point of gagging and choking and also vomiting a little until I gave her her paci. She just wouldn't stop screaming. At which point she went directly to sleep and I mean immediately. The problem is, nearly every 15 minutes (at the most) she was up screaming because it fell out. I got absolutely NO sleep for the past 2 nights.

How the heck do I get rid of this pacifier? She isn't sleeping and neither am I. I could care less if she used the paci if only it didn't require being replaced every few minutes. This morning between 4 and 7, I replaced her paci 12 times. That's excessive. I don't know what to do. She refused to sleep without it but she can't sleep with it either. How do I take this from her and still enable her to sleep?

Re: Paci: Can't go to sleep without it; can't sleep with it.

• So, my LO also used a paci until we sleep trained. I had her weaned from it at the same time. At 5am, when you said she was screaming so much you gave in, did you feed her at that wake up? Also, last night, how long was she crying and are you doing check in's?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'll be doing the update on the Sept board for the check-ins and give more detail then but yes, I do check-ins. I also tried feeding her a few times and she didn't want to eat. She just wanted her binky. When she did eat, she ate 1 oz and then she ate 3 oz twice but the other countless times, she just wanted her binky. I always try everything I can before I give her her binky. I'm just going to have to try to stick it out and not give it to her.

Last night, when she was screaming so bad, I did a check-in and I couldn't get her to calm down. I even picked her up and tried to love her thinking maybe she wasn't feeling well and in that case, I'd cuddle her to sleep. That didn't work. The only thing that worked was her binky.

• Loading the player...
  • Oops, I thought I was on the 3-6 boards where I XP this. sorry. That's what sleep deprivation does I suppose.
  • I guess my only advice is to be consistent. If your going to give her the paci, in the end, then you'll have to constantly replace it. In SleepEasy, they recommend you get rid of the paci unless the child can put it back in their mouth 100% of the time... Otherwise you'll be doing to paci replacing all night long. Just my 2 cents.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi Ladies- We were in the same boat, DD wanted the paci to fall asleep with and then I'd be up every 30 min replacing it. We did the same thing JK did, weaned her from it at the same time we started sleeptraining. This is my 2nd day on Sleepeasy and while naps w/o the paci were horrible yesterday (3 30 min naps when she used to sleep 1.5-2 hours at a time) last night she went to be without it, woke once to eat and slept 11 hours.

That being said, she's down for a nap and has been crying for 7 min now. Naps just seem to be so much harder.

• We had the same paci issue and it went on for weeks. The only way either of us would get any sleep is if she and I slept together, which is something I never wanted to do. Her doctor recommended the Ferber method for the paci situation, plus we were relying on her swing for naps and for putting her to sleep before bed time. I know some are against the Ferber method because of the crying, and there are other sleep methods you can also try if you are more comfortable with them. Luckily when it was suggested my husband had two weeks of vacation so we decided to start then. Plus always start with the first nap because you are able to distract yourself a ton more during the day then when you are exhausted in the evening, because you will just end up giving in.

We have found that after the first couple of days she goes down both for her naps and bedtime without a problem. They are so young at this point this is the time to start because they will forget about it a heck of a lot faster than a baby who is older. She will now sleep by herself, in her crib, paci free for 10-12 hours a night!

It's rough at the start of quitting the paci cold turkey but it is the best thing we have done so far. Trust me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"