Toddlers: 24 Months+

how to get a 2 1/2 year to clean up their room!

I am so frustrated!!!!

I spent the last 2 hours and 42 mins telling DD to clean up her room.  She had every toy out.  I must have told her 100 times to clean up her room. And still...I clean the damn room up! I told my H that I was in a bit@chy mood and he said..."me too so maybe i wont come home tonight"  REALLY???? Thanks for the make me feel better statement...@sshole!

Okay thanks for letting me vent!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: how to get a 2 1/2 year to clean up their room!

• Honestly, at 2.5 I would probably still be helping my LOs clean instead of expecting them to do it themselves. I think at such a young age you can still teach responsibility of cleaning up after themselves while providing encouragement and offering help. I know when I want the LOs to clean up the basement/toy room I go with them, help them, make little goals for them, help them to organize, etc. They are always more willing to do the work if I'm with them (though by no means do I do it all). 

Anyway, hope your day picks up!! :) 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think 2.5 is pretty young to expect them to pick up their room on their own. And it's also pretty young for them to understand such general statements as "clean up your room". Next time I'd sit down and have her clean with you, and give her specific things to do. Ask her to put the cars away in a certain box, or pick up a specific puzzle, or put her dolls on the shelf.
  • Loading the player...
  • Put a bucket in the room and tell her to pick everything up off the floor and put it in the bucket.  In the beginning do it with her.  Once she's started walk away.  Then if you have an order that you want tpys put away then you do it from the bucket.  2.5 yr olds understand basic sorting but what is sensible is not natural for them.  Once she's a pro, you can have her join you in putting all the clothes in the closet.  The dolls in the basket.  If your organizational schema is too complex for a toddler's comprehension, nagging her or punishing her won't make her know any better how to do it.  Praise the little steps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think it's realistic to expect a child that age to clean their room by themselves, it needs to be a joint effort with you "helping"..... by which I mean "coaching" and tidying things she may not be able to (folding clothes and putting them away).  A statement like "clean your room" is a bit too big for them until they're 4 or 5.

I try to do it by tasks, like, "put the books on the shelf" and "put all the dolls and doll clothes in the basket" and "all the stuffed animals on the bed".

We also try to clean as we go (although I know this is not always possible... at least it certainly doesn't always happen in our house! LOL! Ever house has "disaster days"). We always put away the book we just read if we want to read another. We always tidy together a bit before meals. And by "tidy" I mean, we have big baskets which are her "toy bins" in the living room and nursery, and she and I will throw everything into the baskets. I want it to be easy, not just for her but for me too! 

Have a piece of chocolate, grab a glass of wine. Help her clean up and see how fast you two can do it. Make it a fun game and GET IT DONE so you can move on. No need to be stuck in a bi_chy mood if you don't want to be.  :) 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Constant battle in this house, but with the playroom. For 2 1/2 I would buy a couple of big plastic bins or plastic tub with handles and have her put all the toys in there at the end of the day instead of on shelves or in a certain place.

Now my girls are 3 1/2 and are capable of understand they need to put toys away and they still fight me on it. So I am now removing toys when they don't clean up. I give them 3 chances, if after the third clean up reminder I pull out a big plastic garbage bag and go into the playroom and start putting toys in it. They toys then got to the garage for a couple of days. I only had to do this 1 or 2 times. Now when I pull out the bag they start running to the playroom and pick up everything as fast as they can before I can get to it.Stick out tongue

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies for the input! i was just totally exhausted!.  I ended up going in there and cleaning most of it myself but she helped me....She did much better when I was in the room compared to her being by herself. and you are right.. she is too young to fully get that concept or follow that rule just yet.  Thanks again! i feel much better and have approached is much better since then! I think i needed a wake up!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"