June 2011 Moms

Solids? And BLW?

Okay, so when someone refers to babies having solids, are they referring to purees or actual solid food (like of substance)?

I mean I assume if someone is referring to BLW, they mean actual solid food, but if someone does purees is that still called solids?

I know stupid question but curious.

Second, is it possible to do BLW and purees?

I know that DS is sort of limited on what his Dr. wants him eating, and I know some of those things can't really be given in pieces.  So I'm curious if he can be given some things for BLW such as Peaches, Bananas, etc.. (some suggestion would be great), and then some items be fed as purees like Butternut Squash, apples, etc...

Thanks a million!

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage

Re: Solids? And BLW?

• I consider purees as "solids".

We do a mix of purees and finger foods- I think this is much more common than the term "BLW", which makes it sound like some radical new idea.  Some things Maya has eaten that are not pureed:

*pieces of meat- a strip of steak she can suck on, or bits of chicken she can gum on and swallow.

*spears of fresh fruits/ veggies that she can suck on (I also freeze some of these for an icy treat): cucumbers, carrots, red/ yellow peppers, apples, bananas

*pumpkin pancakes 

* plain full-fat yogurt 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First: solids means anything except FF/BM.

Second: totally. Martin is on purees (that I make) but I also bought some peas and broccoli that I plan on steaming and seeing if he wants to put them in his mouth. :) You can totally do peaches, bananas, carrots, broccoli, peas, meats, cucumbers, celery, beets, literally anything that can be steamed to make soft and picked up by little hands. You just cut into whatever shape will work for your LO. I would think squash would be fine too, also apples.

• Loading the player...
  • imageMrsPBNJ0220:

Okay, so when someone refers to babies having solids, are they referring to purees or actual solid food (like of substance)?

I mean I assume if someone is referring to BLW, they mean actual solid food, but if someone does purees is that still called solids?

I know that DS is sort of limited on what his Dr. wants him eating, and I know some of those things can't really be given in pieces.  So I'm curious if he can be given some things for BLW such as Peaches, Bananas, etc.. (some suggestion would be great), and then some items be fed as purees like Butternut Squash, apples, etc...

Thanks a million!

Yes, most of the time they are referring to baby food.

No you can't BLW with purees.

Yes, you can do both reg food and baby food. Why does your pedi limit your LO's food? You can steam almost anything and make it softer when you can cut it into pieces or let LO feed themselves.  

• imagesunshine336:

I consider purees as "solids".

We do a mix of purees and finger foods- I think this is much more common than the term "BLW", which makes it sound like some radical new idea.  Some things Maya has eaten that are not pureed:

*pieces of meat- a strip of steak she can suck on, or bits of chicken she can gum on and swallow.

*spears of fresh fruits/ veggies that she can suck on (I also freeze some of these for an icy treat): cucumbers, carrots, red/ yellow peppers, apples, bananas

*pumpkin pancakes 

* plain full-fat yogurt 

Okay a few questions.  When you say bits of chicken, you literally mean maybe the size of a pinky nail?  Then for the cucumbers, do you leave the skin on and do you do strips of them as well so that the inner super soft part is not included?  Bananas, how do you give those, LO has had them and gagged on the first little bit he got?  Pumpkin pancakes, what size do you give them to your LO?  And lastly I would love to give DS yogurt but with his milk allergy that's a no go.

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • imageMrsPBNJ0220:
    imagesunshine336:

I consider purees as "solids".

*pumpkin pancakes 

* plain full-fat yogurt 

Okay a few questions.  When you say bits of chicken, you literally mean maybe the size of a pinky nail?  Then for the cucumbers, do you leave the skin on and do you do strips of them as well so that the inner super soft part is not included?  Bananas, how do you give those, LO has had them and gagged on the first little bit he got?  Pumpkin pancakes, what size do you give them to your LO?  And lastly I would love to give DS yogurt but with his milk allergy that's a no go.

You actually want to avoid small bits because they can choke on them. And for cucumbers, I wouldn't leave the skin on because it might make it too tough. For bananas, I would slice the banana in half lengthwise and then give the whole thing. For pumpkin pancakes, regular size. There's a recipe on wholesomebabyfood.com. And, oddly enough, there are babies with MSPI that can eat yogurt. BIZARRE I know. It's something I plan on trying later, around 9-10 months.

• And FYI, Tellyb has given her LO a whole drumstick! lol I saw it on FB and was like "How many teeth does he have" and she said none lol. He just nom'd on it.
  • imagethomas2013:
    imageMrsPBNJ0220:

Thanks a million!

Yes, most of the time they are referring to baby food.

No you can't BLW with purees.

Yes, you can do both reg food and baby food. Why does your pedi limit your LO's food? You can steam almost anything and make it softer when you can cut it into pieces or let LO feed themselves.  

Because of his allergies we just recently were able to start giving him green veggies and we are on hold for meat until 9 months.  I believe a lot of it has to do with also, he explained it but I will suck at explaining it.  I suppose the protein in the meats and green veggies can block the benefits of the formula he is on.  I have never heard this but then again I have never had a baby or had a baby on the formula he is on, LOL.  His Dr. has given us a list of foods he feels are okay.

For that reason we are cautious about what we give him.  I would like to try more things though personally.

• imagehepcats:
    And FYI, Tellyb has given her LO a whole drumstick! lol I saw it on FB and was like "How many teeth does he have" and she said none lol. He just nom'd on it.

Okay, now that is an awesome visual, LOL!!!!

Your DS has MSPI as well right?  I know Liam has MFPI, mainly because they couldn't directly pinpoint it and he had reactions to so many different things, but allergy testing in babies is not reliable.  I will have to try yogurt around then, the worse that would happen is he would have a reaction and we could deal with it!  That is good info to know.

As for the small pieces.  So if DS gets some pieces off of the banans that is okay but don't cut things into small pieces?  Like if he gets pieces off of the pancake should I remove it out of his mouth?  Lastly, what about when he gets teeth (no teeth yet), I assume he will get bigger pieces off, what them?

I really should read about BLW, just wasn't sure if those answers would really be available.

• imageMrsPBNJ0220:

imagehepcats:
    And FYI, Tellyb has given her LO a whole drumstick! lol I saw it on FB and was like "How many teeth does he have" and she said none lol. He just nom'd on it.

Your DS has MSPI as well right?  I know Liam has MFPI, mainly because they couldn't directly pinpoint it and he had reactions to so many different things, but allergy testing in babies is not reliable.  I will have to try yogurt around then, the worse that would happen is he would have a reaction and we could deal with it!  That is good info to know.

As for the small pieces.  So if DS gets some pieces off of the banans that is okay but don't cut things into small pieces?  Like if he gets pieces off of the pancake should I remove it out of his mouth?  Lastly, what about when he gets teeth (no teeth yet), I assume he will get bigger pieces off, what them?

I really should read about BLW, just wasn't sure if those answers would really be available.

Yup, it was hilarious! And Martin has MSPI too, which is why I make all his food so that I know what's in it. I thought for sure the pedi would say to avoid meats, since they're ALL protein, but she said it would be fine. We haven't done them yet but I plan on it soon.

As for the small pieces: correct. If they get pieces off, that's okay. It's just the BLW books all say that it's safer to give bigger chunks until they have teeth and can chew their own food. Martin has no teeth either so when we do the broccoli, we'll be giving him whole florets. I'd definitely recommend the BLW cookbook. It's available on kindle or iPad and it's awesome. It breaks out at what age you should give what

• imagehepcats:
    imageMrsPBNJ0220:

imagehepcats:

Yup, it was hilarious! And Martin has MSPI too, which is why I make all his food so that I know what's in it. I thought for sure the pedi would say to avoid meats, since they're ALL protein, but she said it would be fine. We haven't done them yet but I plan on it soon.

As for the small pieces: correct. If they get pieces off, that's okay. It's just the BLW books all say that it's safer to give bigger chunks until they have teeth and can chew their own food. Martin has no teeth either so when we do the broccoli, we'll be giving him whole florets. I'd definitely recommend the BLW cookbook. It's available on kindle or iPad and it's awesome. It breaks out at what age you should give what

Did you know the whole thing with the meat?  Oh wait I see, that makes more sense now, it's Multiple Food PROTEIN, LOL.  Ummmmm.....Yeah, I'm a little slow!

Do you have the link for the Kindle book that you recommend?

• BOOM! Yeah, that just happened. lol j/k
  • So this must be from my FB photo, huh?  : )  I am just pretty much going to agree with what everyone else has said.  BLW=whole food, not purees, but you can definitely do both.  When people say they are feeding solids, I typically think of purees unless they specify BLW.  You do bigger pieces so that LO can hold the food and then break off what they need.  Their gag reflexes are so far forward on their tongues that the chance of actually choking isn't huge at this age.  (There is definitely a lot of gagging.)  When I give G something that has skin or rind on it, I actually leave the skin/rind on.  She eats around it.  So far, she has had: sweet potato, cucumber, chicken, steak, hamburger, pasta, oranges, nectarines, star fruit, apples, bananas, yogurt, strawberries, spatzel, applesauce, oatmeal, broccoli, carrots, pineapple (she just likes to suck the juice out), tomatoes, and I am sure other things that I have forgotten. 
  • imagemarlynandchris:
    So this must be from my FB photo, huh?  : )  I am just pretty much going to agree with what everyone else has said.  BLW=whole food, not purees, but you can definitely do both.  When people say they are feeding solids, I typically think of purees unless they specify BLW.  You do bigger pieces so that LO can hold the food and then break off what they need.  Their gag reflexes are so far forward on their tongues that the chance of actually choking isn't huge at this age.  (There is definitely a lot of gagging.)  When I give G something that has skin or rind on it, I actually leave the skin/rind on.  She eats around it.  So far, she has had: sweet potato, cucumber, chicken, steak, hamburger, pasta, oranges, nectarines, star fruit, apples, bananas, yogurt, strawberries, spatzel, applesauce, oatmeal, broccoli, carrots, pineapple (she just likes to suck the juice out), tomatoes, and I am sure other things that I have forgotten. 

Okay G has had things that I have not even tried, LOL.  I am going to look into BLW because like I said on FB I think Liam would enjoy it since he loves feeding himself.  How does it work with stuff like sweet potatos and pasta, I would assume they would get bigger pieces whether they have teeth or not, it's okay I suppose?  I'm sure it is easier to understand when you are actually doing it, and probably will be easier to get when we start.

• Literally you give them anything they can grab with their hands and nom. :) I would start with rotini or penne for pasta.
  • I was planning to make ground turkey pasta bake tomorrow and perhaps I will try using penne so he can have some.  Is whole grain okay??
  • Totally :)
  • This probably isn't the popular answer, but technically if you are spoon feeding purees to your baby at all, you aren't doing BLW. The term Baby Led Weaning means that the baby decides what goes in their mouth and when. If you are spooning food into their mouth (or did, before giving table food) that is parent led weaning. With parent led weaning, the baby learns to swallow first and is taught to eat by being fed by their parents, and then they learn to handle table food themselves. With Baby Led Weaning, they learn to chew first by handling large pieces of solids, and then eventually start swallowing some.

That said, it's just a matter of semantics. On The Bump, the term BLW has become synonymous with feeding any table food at all. So yes, you most certainly can give a mixture of purees and table food! If you couldn't, we'd all still be eating purees because we'd never have learned to hold food and feed ourselves! :)  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yep, solids are anything that aren't formula/BM.  And, it's definitely possible to do both purees and table/finger foods (BLW).  Ty eats way more purees, but since he doesn't really seem to eat much I also try to give him finger foods and table foods as well to see if he'll start eating more.  He hasn't yet, but I keep trying!  I haven't tried a lot of finger foods yet though so I don't really have any suggestions.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"