February 2012 Moms
Options

Internal Exams....

Does anyone else's doctor not do them on a regular basis towards the end? I requested one at my last visit, which they did, but my doc said she typically doesn't do them b/c checking the dilation doesn't really mean anything. She said even if I was dilated, I could be that way for weeks before LO decides to come and if I wasn't dilated it caould change by the next day. This makes sense to me but at the same time it's kind of nice to get an idea of where I am at. I just thought that it was kind of odd that she doesn't do regular checks; not really ever heard of this. Has anyone else experienced this?
BabyName Ticker image BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Internal Exams....

• Options

Your doctor is right- they are pointless. I haven't had a single one in either of my pregnancies.

see similar post a couple posts down...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yeah, I totally understand why they wouldn't do them - just always hear about everyone else getting them. I'm just always more curious than anything to see if I am dilated....not that it really means anything....I'm just so anxious for DD to be here! :)

BabyName Ticker image BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My doctor did one internal at 36 weeks and said he won't do another until my due date, if baby stays in until then. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My first one was on Monday, so just shy of 39 weeks. I would have declined it, but I MAY have to be induced for GD, so I was relieved to know my body is already progressing, which makes the chance of a successful induction better. 

Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wish mine didn't do it every weekly visit. The first internal I bled so bad I went through a pad in 4 hours and had a large clot. I have to go to L&D for monitoring. My second internal was so painful. I'm not dilated at all. I asked her if it had to be done everytime and she said yes. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imagektroutm2:
    I wish mine didn't do it every weekly visit. The first internal I bled so bad I went through a pad in 4 hours and had a large clot. I have to go to L&D for monitoring. My second internal was so painful. I'm not dilated at all. I asked her if it had to be done everytime and she said yes. 

I'm sorry, but are you serious?!!  Why on earth is your OB making you go through internals, especially with the bleeding and pain you experienced??  You can absolutely decline them and any OB that doesn't allow you to do that is just wrong.  That would seriously have me considering changing docs. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Options
    My doc doesn't do them.  The APRN there was actually surprised when I declined because she says so many people actually request them!  When I responded with "well, they don't really tell you much," she completely agreed.  I actually don't understand the doctors that DO them.  I don't know why they bother for the average patient, especially starting as early as 34 or 35 weeks on some people.  It only makes sense to me when you are actually in labor or if they need to see if you are favorable for induction.  Other than that, they seem pretty useless.

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Options

imagekristin172429:
    My doc doesn't do them.  The APRN there was actually surprised when I declined because she says so many people actually request them!  When I responded with "well, they don't really tell you much," she completely agreed.  I actually don't understand the doctors that DO them.  I don't know why they bother for the average patient, especially starting as early as 34 or 35 weeks on some people.  It only makes sense to me when you are actually in labor or if they need to see if you are favorable for induction.  Other than that, they seem pretty useless.

This. 

I had my first at when I went preterm at 29 weeks but that's diff. I've had two since then, and the only reason I'm having another one tomorrow is because of my scheduled induction next week. Just knowing I've been dilated for this long without birthing LO is a litle frustrating; its like a horrible mental game...:/

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    My OB only does them on request (after 36 weeks, they ask if you want one at every visit).
  • Options

Mine started offering them at 35 weeks, and said it was because so many people request them. I've said no the past 3 times. This week (39 weeks) they'd like to check just in case we have to start thinking about inductions (they induce 10 days post due date).  Said I can still decline until 40 weeks, but they'd rather check at 39. I'm undecided at this point on whether I will or won't have one this week. It just sounds unpleasant :)

They were surprised I didn't want them, but said they are totally pointless and they only do it because so many people complain that they don't. Of course, I don't want to know how I'm progressing even IN labor, so I guess I'm in the minority on that one.

• Options
    I have only had one...at 36 weeks.  It's wasn't mandatory, but they were already 'down there' for the GBS test, so I figured why not.  However, they haven't even asked since then.  Everyone I work with seems to think this is so strange, but I honestly don't mind cause I don't wanna get my hope up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"