Military Families

If Only I Could Punch Equity In The Face....

it would bring me eternal satisfaction.

DH and I went into the housing office a week or so ago to speak to them about getting on a waiting list for a larger place, as the little one will be arriving in a few, short weeks and we really need a bigger place. The place we have now was an emergency housing situation and doesn't really have room for baby to grow and for everyone to live comfortably....so, off we went to speak to an Equity rep at their office.

As the secretary looks over our paperwork, she looks up and tells us that in order to transfer homes, we have to pay a $500.00 fee the day we're placed in a new home. I had previously spoken to another secretary about three months ago (when we first moved in) that told me that the fee was waived if the reason you were transferring homes is because you have become eligible for a larger home (by getting promoted, having a child, ect). I point this out to the secretary and she excuses herself to grab her boss to double check if what I said was indeed a correct fact.

The boss comes back with the secretary and immediately darts her eyes towards my stomach. She asks me how far along I am and I tell her that I'm approximately 25 weeks. Her response?:

"Well then you aren't eligible for a larger home. You have to be 7 months pregnant in order for us to consider your pregnancy to be viable...you have to come back when you reach the viability stage." 

Um.

For real?

24 weeks is considered to be the age of viability. 

Suddenly I started seeing red, and the word vomit just wouldn't stay down. I asked her if she was honestly telling me that she could not place me on the list for a 3 bedroom because my baby could die, therefore retracting our qualifications to be in a 3 bedroom home?  I asked her how a regulation like that could come off as anything but horribly morbid and greedy...how they could blatantly insinuate that their main priority was not the comfort of the soldier and his family...it was assuring that no one resides in a home they do not qualify for, regardless of the cirumstances.

My "non-viable" daughter and I find Equity to be a company run by asshats.

OK, rant over :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If Only I Could Punch Equity In The Face....

• Wow that's a load of crap. Stuff like that is why DH and I don't do base housing. I would rather live out in town in a place of my choice rather than have those people dictate what we are eligable for.
  • Thats the rule I was stationed in Hawaii and lived in the Barracks until my 7th month because they don't put you in housing until that point. Is the rule has always been the rule even when housing wasn't run by an outside company.

It sucks it pissed me off to no end when I was pregnant living in the barracks but I calmed down and got my housing had amazing friends that helped me and looked back and realized it wasnt a personal attack it was just the rules that are set  up so things work!

Now had you been PCS'ing there they would put you in the larger house based on the fact you were expecting but moving you is a different story.

I know makes no sense but  even with my Commanders and CSM supporting my housing still had the last say.. a

• Loading the player...
  • However her statement ""Well then you aren't eligible for a larger home. You have to be 7 months pregnant in order for us to consider your pregnancy to be viable...you have to come back when you reach the viability stage." "

was definitley out of line and a garuntee you its not how it is worded in the regulation/guidelines.

She could have just said look I am sorry but according to ourpolicies until you are 7 months you are not eligible for housing upgrade and left it at that. It was definitley are delivery that was cold.

• We live in a tiny 2 bedroom house and we make due... barely. 

I really wish there was more standardized housing sizes. We moved from a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, with a laundry room, eat in kitchen, dining room, large living room, 2 large pantries/storage areas, and a garage to a very small 2 bedroom, 1 bath, very small kitchen with washer/dryer hookups in the kitchen, no dining room just a great room where we have to play tetris with our furniture to try and fit the sofa, loveseat, papasan, desk, dining table and chairs, coffee table, entertainment center, and bookcases. There is only 1 little storage closet and no garage! Needless to say, we are crammed in this house with me, DH, DD, and our 2 large dogs. We had a bigger house when it was just me and DH than we do now! It could be worse though, as our neighbor is pregnant with #2, in the same house as us, and is being told that they can not move into a larger house either! 

Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Do you have more than one child? 
  • imageLace&Josh:
    Do you have more than one child? 

Nope. When we applied for housing, the leasing office told us it was a better idea to get a place now so that when I got to the "age of viability" I could put in for a transfer because we would qualify for a 3bd. Right now, the 2nd bedroom we have barely fits LO's crib...it's more of a computer room, per say. We don't have 1bd housing, but this is pretty much what I'd consider one bedroom. No one in my neighborhood has children...so I'm guessing transferring into a 3bd is pretty standard once a baby is added to the mix. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"