June 2012 Moms
Options

Experienced Moms...

quick question about newborn clothes....how much is too much to buy? I know all babies are different but I would like to have a few things and I just don't want to overbuy a size that he will quickly outgrow. 

Also, this may sound like a totally crazy question...but what do you typically bring baby home in? Not sure if the fact that it will be June matters or not..

Thanks in advance! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Experienced Moms...

• Options
    dnhdnh member
    DS was an 8lb baby born in November. I did buy a few newborn onesies that lasted maybe about 2-3 wks before he outgrew them. Most of the 0-3 clothes fit for the the first 6weeks, after that it was right to 3-6 clothing. I would buy a few things in the newborn size but not much as they grow things very quickly. I would buy more of the 3-6 month stage if I were go to splurge on a particular size.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    I had a big baby, 9lbs 4oz, he came home in 0-3 month clothes.  He never fit into newborn onsies or footie pajamas.   He had one newborn outfit that he wore that was a separate pants and shirt but he out grew that by 2 weeks. I am not planning on buying anything in newborn size for this baby.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD weighed 8lb 7oz so we skipped right over all the newborn sizes and went straight to 0-3 month. Still, a lot of that stuff she outgrew pretty fast. She barely wore any of the "regular clothes". It was winter and as we were at home pretty much all day every day, I just dressed her in sleepers most of the time. I had about 6 sleepers (get the ones with the flip-over mitts built in. regular baby mitts are useles) and 6 onsies plus 2-3 regular outfits. We did laundry about every 2 days, but that was mostly because DH couldn't work out how to get her diaper changed fast enough before she peed again. :-/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My cousin's baby is not even a week old & is already outgrowing newborn clothes. I'm not going to bother at all with this size, unless its a sleeper.
    If this little guy turns out to be tiny, I'm sure I could get someone to do some shopping for me.
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options

I had a tiny baby (5#) so he was in NB stuff for a while.  He didn't fit into his "coming home" outfit until he was almost 3months!  For the first few months he wore onesies & sleepers & gowns at home. Onesies & cotton pants out of the house.

I expect to bring this one home in a little sleeper or romper. 

image   image

• Options
    DD was 8 lbs, 12 oz at birth (11 days before her due date- welcome to my c-section), so she wore newborn diapers for very little time.  A lot of newborn items are supposed to be up to 8 lbs, so I don't think I'll buy any newborn clothes this time around.  I will, however, buy 0-3 month stuff.  At that stage, we kept DD in sleepers pretty much all of the time because we weren't taking her out a lot and they were easy to clean in case of a spit up or diaper incident.  My mother bought some silly, fancy outfit for DD to come home in.  I think it was the only time it was worn because it was all white a frilly, and I only put her in it because I knew my mother spent a fortune on it.  This time around, I'm thinking more practically, but that may not stop my mother who gets a little bit out of hand and doesn't check with me before buying things;)
  • Options
    DS was 6 pds 12 oz at birth. At his lowest weight, he was 6 pds 4 oz. So he wore newborn clothes for at least a month. I would have things handy, but I wouldn't go overboard until you know how big your baby is. People will buy you newborn sizes too as gifts...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't go too crazy buying anything.  You'll get so many gifts and people will buy all sorts of sizes.  We got a few newborn outfits as gifts - enough to get us through if she had been smaller.  But she was over 9lbs and 22 inches long, so we were never in newborn and only in 0-3 months for a very short time.
  • Options

DS1 never wore newborn b/c he 9lb 12oz. he was only in 0-3 for a few weeks. He mostly wore 3-6 months. He was born in june and he lived in onsies. He came home in a onsie that was blue with brown dots. He rarely wore shorts unless we were going out somewhere.

DS2 - we had 2 newborns and about 10 - 0-3 outfits. After he came, he was only 7lb 4oz and was in newborn the first few weeks. I had to go to carters to buy a few more outfits. I got about 6 newborn size one piece outfits (he was born in october), then got about 10 3 month size outftis/one piece things.

ETA: I also after having both my boys I ordered a whole bunch of stuff from gymboree and old navy while in the hospital. It came within days.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was very premature, my parents said they dressed me in cabbage patch clothes :)  My friends with babies didn't buy any clothes until after the baby shower.  They were given all the newborn clothes they needed, and then bought more in the larger sizes.
    TTC#1 since 3/11                    TTC#2 since 4/13
    Dx PCOS, Anovulatory 4/11     4/13-7/13 - Clomid 50mg
    8/11- 9/11- Clomid 100mg         BFP! 8/13
    It's a Girl! 06/17/12                   Due Date- 05/02/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS was 7 pounds, 4 ounces at birth, lost some weight after birth as usual, so he was in newborn clothes for about 6 weeks.  We tried to put him in the 0-3 month stuff, but it was ginormous on him.  My mom ran out and bought us about 10 sleepers in newborn sizes.  I personally could not put anything over DS's head until he was about 4 weeks old because it freaked me out, so all our newborn onesies were a complete waste.  He lived in sleepers or side snap tees and pants.  Coming home, this LO will wear a sleeper.  It's not hot yet here in June though, so I don't think she'll be too hot or anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

DS was born in August and left the hospital right at 7lbs.  He was in Newborn for about a month and 0-3 for awhile.  Onesies and sleepers are pretty much all you need at the beginning, and I HIGHLY recommend sleepers that zip. 

He came home from the hospital in a cute onesie and wrapped in a blanket.

I wanted to add that his coming home outfit and a couple of items for those first weeks were Preemie size.  Another experienced mom told me to buy a few Preemie things and I am so glad I did.  Newborn was HUGE on him at first, so I was glad to have some better fitting things for when we went out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Since we are team green I have struggled with clothes buying - I don't want to buy too much since everything "gender neutral" really looks like boy clothes. I have small babies, or average size I guess, they were 7 lbs 13 oz and 6 lbs 13 oz. With DD I had to go to Target a few days later and buy her more newborn clothes since she was smaller. Right now I have about 12 NB size sleepers/onesies (no real outfits) and 15 0-3 mos size sleepers/onesies. I'm buying a few more kimono shirts for the umbilical cord and calling it a day until he/she arrives.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If money is not tight I would just buy a few pieces of newborn. You will not know until your baby is born if and how long they would need newborn. My son was 9lbs and never saw newborn anything not even socks. If you happen to come across some items you must have then opt to buy 0-3 months.

As for what the baby should wear home from the hospital. It will be June so the weather should be nice out so I am planning the must haves which would be a hat, socks and and a onesis and she will be wrapped/swaddled in a receiving blanket. Straight home we will go!

• Options

DS was 7lbs 9oz when he was born, but dropped down quite a bit (below the 10% threshold) before we left the hospital because of bfing issues.  He was only in newborn clothes for 2 weeks.

We brought a super cute outfit to bring him home in, but it was 0-3 (apparently I didn't realize he was going to be a newborn!) and was way too big.  I'd recommend something comfy and easy for diaper changes like a onsie or pjs.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageEBelle80:
    I'm buying a few more kimono shirts for the umbilical cord and calling it a day until he/she arrives.

DS was a june baby as well and for the first two weeks he mostly just wore these shirts plus a blanket wrapped around his lower half. at night he wore the kimono shirt plus a swaddle.  he was 8 lbs 5 oz and wore a (little loose) 0-3 all white outfit home from the hospital (we were team green)

we are team green again so i'll just be washing all the tshirts and onesies and doing the same. people like to give clothes as gifts as soon as the baby is born anyway (if i have a boy i will just wash the rest of the small clothes and if its' a girl we'll just buy some new stuff once we see her size)

diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DD was 7lbs 13oz. She wore newborn clothes for about 3 weeks. Everyone said not to bother with size newborn clothes, so I only had a couple things. It was definitely not enough. If I could do it all over again, I'd buy more items and just wash a couple things and leave the rest on the hangers with tags and receipts.

DD was born in January, so she came home from the hospital in a onesie with pants and a little sweater with a hat. We threw a blanket over her in the car. This LO will probably just wear a snap down romper like this: https://tinyurl.com/7fsq52p We live in Georgia so I highly doubt we will need to bundle her up.

• Options
    Thanks ladies for all the great responses! Super helpful!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS wore newborn size for a few weeks, but even then I only had two or three newborn size outfits because he was an August baby and most of the time he was just wearing a tee or a onesie around the house.  I'm figuring same thing this time with a June baby, but it's hot here in TX in June.  I would not suggest getting more than maybe a couple newborn size outfits.  Your LO may start out in 0-3 month, or even if he is in newborn size, they don't really need a lot of outfits those first couple weeks.  Tees are easier for umbilical cord care and diaper changes.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"