August 2011 Moms

Random questions all in one post

Hey ladies.  I don't get to post much often since I'm back at work.  I have all sorts of questions, and rather than make separate posts, I thought I'd post them all in here!

1. Teething:  What are you giving/doing to help LO with teething pain?

2. Feeding:  When are you starting solids?  What are you starting with?  If you are doing store-bought food, which brand are you using?  How much each day?

3. Ezcema: What are you using for this?  I was using California Baby Calendula Cream, which worked well, but it is very expensive and they recently changed their formula.  I haven't bought any of the new formula, but I read online that it burns, so I don't want to waste money on the new formula just to throw it out.

4. Cradle cap / dry scalp:  What are you using?  I've tried olive oil, California Baby Shampoo and brushing gently at bath time, and Mustela for cradle cap.  The Mustela worked OK, but it came back (maybe I didn't use it long enough).  The CB Baby shampoo and olive oil are not taking it away, it keeps coming back.

5. Convertibe car seat:  When are you switching?  Which are you planning to get?  I'm leaning towards the Britax Boulevard, but not 100% sold on it yet (read that some babies don't like the wings because they are too big and obstruct their view).  I want to buy one soon because DS will be starting daycare next month and DH and I will share dropoff/pickup, so we need another carseat anyways.

6. Bath Time:  Where and how??  We've been bathing DS in the infant bathtub that fits over the kitchen sink, but now that he's learnd how to splash, he kicks water all over the counter top and floor.  I'm dreading transitioning him to the bath tub, because then we'd have to bend over the tub (hurting my back).  I'm thinking about getting an inflatable baby tub to put in our bathtub.  Anyone getting one of these?

7. Swaddling:  Are any of your babies still swaddled?  At DS's 4 month appt, the Ped said to keep swaddling him as long as he wanted to be.  He still sleeps swaddled every night, but he's started sleeping with his arms out of the swaddle sometimes, so that's good.

Thanks ladies!

Re: Random questions all in one post

• 1. Teething:  What are you giving/doing to help LO with teething pain?

Tylenol if it gets bad enough. She chews on her fingers/toys/teethers otherwise. So far it hasn't been horrible or anything.

2. Feeding:  When are you starting solids?  What are you starting with?  If you are doing store-bought food, which brand are you using?  How much each day?

She started at about 4.5 months. We started with rice cereal. She hates it. We moved on to oatmeal and she likes it mixed with her food. We've done bananas, pears, peaches, prunes, apples, and sweet potatoes so far. We make most of it, but buy Gerber occasionally. She eats 2-3 tbs of an oatmeal/fruit or oatmeal/veggies mix 2x a day, at her first and last meals.

3. Ezcema: What are you using for this? 

Nothing, she doesn't have ezcema. We put on J&J lotion every night after her bath.

4. Cradle cap / dry scalp:  What are you using? 

Nothing, no cradle cap. I brush her hair every day at bathtime, and that's supposed to help keep it at bay.

5. Convertibe car seat:  When are you switching?  Which are you planning to get? 

Confession: I'm not entirely sure what a convertible car seat is...DD has her infant car seat, and she'll stay in that until she's 1 year or 20 pounds. Or is it 25?

6. Bath Time:  Where and how?? 

She does baths every night around 7 pm in her infant/toddler tub in the big bathtub. She loves it.

7. Swaddling:  Are any of your babies still swaddled? 

Nope, we gave up the swaddle months ago because she kept breaking out of it.

nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bundymommy, the convertible car seat is what comes after they've outgrown the infant car seat.  You can still rear-face, but you can't pop it in and out of the car like you can with the infant seat.  It's more comfortable for the baby, but not as convenient as the infant seat.  https://www.amazon.com/Britax-Boulevard-Convertible-Current-Version/dp/B005UBCJBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328035795&sr=8-1

• Loading the player...
  • 1. Teething:  We'r enot there yet. But with DD1, we really only used Tylenol. And frozen fruit puree in a mesh feeder like this one https://www.amazon.com/Mesh-Teething-Baby-Feeder-Feeding/dp/B000056JCY (DD1 didn't get her first teeth until she was 9 months)

2. Feeding:  We started solids at 5.5 months. We started off with cereal only for a few weeks (oatmal, rice, barley) and just started veggies yesterday. We did sweet potato, and next up is butternut squash. After that I am thinking carrots, then apple, pear, peach... I make it all myself (it's very easy). As for quantities, we do 1oz of cereal twice a day. I'm adding 1/2 oz of veggie, split between those two feedings for now, but soon will do 1oz of veggie as her lunch

3. Ezcema: Nothing here (knocks on wood)

4. Cradle cap / dry scalp:  DD1 had cradle cap and olive oil worked for us, sorry.

5. Convertibe car seat:  I'm keeping DD in her infant carseat for as long as possible. DD1 stayed in hers until 10 months, so I'm thinking it'll be the same this time around. No idea what we will buy.

6. Bath Time:  I have a bath seat for DD2 (she cannot sit unassisted yet) so she now takes her bath with her sister, usually after her evening meal.

7. Swaddling:  I wish! DD1 was swaddled until she was 8-9 months old. THis one, however, moves way too much to make swaddling safe.

HTH 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 1. Teething:  What are you giving/doing to help LO with teething pain?

We will give Tylenol, but it isn't that bad yet. He chews on everything, though. 

2. Feeding:  When are you starting solids?  What are you starting with?  If you are doing store-bought food, which brand are you using?  How much each day?

We started last weekend with rice cereal. He has had a tablespoon on cereal twice now, and just this morning had Gerber prunes. I plan to make most foods. I will buy beechnut or gerber of things I don't make. 

3. Ezcema: What are you using for this?  I was using California Baby Calendula Cream, which worked well, but it is very expensive and they recently changed their formula.  I haven't bought any of the new formula, but I read online that it burns, so I don't want to waste money on the new formula just to throw it out.

We also use J&J lotion. We use the sleepy time lotion after bath. 

4. Cradle cap / dry scalp:  What are you using?  I've tried olive oil, California Baby Shampoo and brushing gently at bath time, and Mustela for cradle cap.  The Mustela worked OK, but it came back (maybe I didn't use it long enough).  The CB Baby shampoo and olive oil are not taking it away, it keeps coming back.

The Pedi gave us orange shampoo to use. I would call your pedi and ask. 

5. Convertibe car seat:  When are you switching?  Which are you planning to get?  I'm leaning towards the Britax Boulevard, but not 100% sold on it yet (read that some babies don't like the wings because they are too big and obstruct their view).  I want to buy one soon because DS will be starting daycare next month and DH and I will share dropoff/pickup, so we need another carseat anyways.

I just want to get through the winter with the infant seat. I am afraid to slip and fall on the ice with him in my arms. I have yet to even look for a convertible car seat. I will say that my DS would not like anything that would block his view out of a car window.

6. Bath Time:  Where and how??  We've been bathing DS in the infant bathtub that fits over the kitchen sink, but now that he's learnd how to splash, he kicks water all over the counter top and floor.  I'm dreading transitioning him to the bath tub, because then we'd have to bend over the tub (hurting my back).  I'm thinking about getting an inflatable baby tub to put in our bathtub.  Anyone getting one of these?

We use an inflatable duck tub in the big bath tub. He loves it. The bending is a pain. But I bought a gardening knee pad to sit/kneel on and use a towel under my arms/elbows. It isn't too bad. 

7. Swaddling:  Are any of your babies still swaddled?  At DS's 4 month appt, the Ped said to keep swaddling him as long as he wanted to be.  He still sleeps swaddled every night, but he's started sleeping with his arms out of the swaddle sometimes, so that's good.

We haven't swaddled for months either. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1. Teething - we give teething rings and sometimes orajel. 2. Feeding - planning to let her try avocado once she is 6mos old and can sit unassisted. 3. Eczema/dry skin - I use pure coconut oil. It's a solid but it sort of melts onto skin. You can find it at a health food store or co-op. it works wonderfully and DD smells like a macaroon! 4. Cradle cap - combo of coconut oil and Burt's Bees Baby Bee shampoo, soft brush. 5. Car seat - not switching for a while because DD is so small. We've already purchased the Britax Roundabout. 6. Bath - we bathe her by setting the infant tub inside the regular bathtub. We've always done this. 7. we bedshare so DD just wears a onesie and cotton footed pjs. edited for spelling
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemairanellis:

bundymommy, the convertible car seat is what comes after they've outgrown the infant car seat.  You can still rear-face, but you can't pop it in and out of the car like you can with the infant seat.  It's more comfortable for the baby, but not as convenient as the infant seat.  https://www.amazon.com/Britax-Boulevard-Convertible-Current-Version/dp/B005UBCJBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328035795&sr=8-1

Hey, thanks! Yeah, I felt pretty clueless not knowing what that was... Smile

nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"