November 2011 Moms
Options

Please.. trust your GUT instinct

OK so I had to make that little joke in the beginning...

But seriously ladies, I know some of you were following the digestive issues I have been having as far as supposed constipation and such, high up by my ribcage. Well... my OB wrote it off as gas multiple times and said to stop drinking bubbly drinks. At 12 AM on Monday morning I awoke with the same pain I had been having and this pain got worse and worse. At 2 AM I couldn't handle it anymore... I was writhing in bed in pain and couldn't have a bowl movement. So we went to the hospital where I was throwing up and having much more severe pain.... I was in labor for 16 hours and would have rather dealt with that than this pain. 

So... VERY long story short it was my gallbladder. I had such a large stone that it got stuck and caused severe inflamation and infection. I had to have it surgically removed. So I had my csection 8 weeks ago and now this..... My OB never even mentioned the gallbladder as an issue even though I pointed out exactly where my pain was and immediately wrote it off as gas. PLEASE ladies be advocated for yourselves! If something isn't right speak up-- even if you trust your doctor they may be busy and not be thinking of your best interest at the time!

Re: Please.. trust your GUT instinct

• Options

You're the third or fourth person on this board with the gallbladder issue. I just had it myself about 2 week ago.

I'm in total agreement - please ladies, don't just write off pain, get it checked!!!

imageimage image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ouch.  I had my gallbladder out last January after not being able to keep down more than rice and gatorade for about 3 weeks.  Take it easy for the next few days!  Were they able to do it laparoscopically?
    m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

So true! Hope your ok and you are recovering from the surgery ok.

My sister has had bad pain and back aches for over two years...just found out that it is her gallbaldder and she is having it out in a few weeks...doctors wrote it off as general back pain for years!!! 

You are so right if something isn't right we should speak up and be insistent. After all we know our bodies! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You are like the third or fourth person I know of that has had this happen after being told several times it was just gas! Doctor's need to get it together. I hope you have a quick recovery.
  • Options
    Ugh, yes, I'm another one who had gallbladder issues PP.  I had it out about a week and a half ago, and like you, my doc tried to write it off as heartburn or gas.  I eventually ended up in the ER with gallstones and an inflamed liver.  I hope you recover quickly!!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image?
  • Options
    I totally agree! I had to have mine out 2 weeks ago, at first I thought I had food poisoning, but it never got better, it just got worse and worse until I could barely move and had to go to the rest room every 10 minute to relieve myself or throw up. I went to the emergency room and wasn't seen for two hours, during which time I threw up five times in the waiting room and was looked at like I was a crazy person for rocking back and forth and almost yelling with how bad the pain got at times... if my doctor had listened to me the week before they might have found out I had a severe infection around my gallbladder before it got to that point. In any case they had to get my gallbladder out right away and put me on IV antibiotics for what seemed like forever. Moral of the story: If you're in pain, don't let your doctor brush it aside, you know your pain better than anyone.
  • Options

imageHoneydewchestnut:
    Ouch.  I had my gallbladder out last January after not being able to keep down more than rice and gatorade for about 3 weeks.  Take it easy for the next few days!  Were they able to do it laparoscopically?

I was VERY lucky they were able to do it laproscopically because of all the swelling. Essentially I looked like I was pregnant again because the swelling was so bad. The doctor said he likes to test whether or not people are being wimps when they come in screaming in pain....well he said he took one look at my gallbladder and it was the worst he had seen in awhile. Not good at all. I just couldn't believe, with how common it is in pregnant/post partum women, that my OB didn't even mention it as a possibility. I didn't expect a diagnosis or anything 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"