May 2012 Moms
Options

Need childbirth class advice please!

My hospital offers two options for childbirth courses.  "Regular" childbirth class is 4 class sessions at 3 hours each.  "Express" childbirth class is 2 class sessions at 3 hours each.   They both cover the same information, the express is just in a condensed format. 

I'm debating about which one to go to.  The regular ones seem like quite a time commitment, but then again I'm a FTM, so maybe I'll feel rushed if I do the express version.  (I'll also be taking a breastfeeding class, child care class and hospital tour separately).

I'm having baby brain and am having a hard time deciding which one to go with.  Anyone have advice or opinions?

Thanks in advance!! :)

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Need childbirth class advice please!

• Options

i'm also a FTM and our regular one was 5 weeks during the week and that is too much of a time commitment for DH's work schedule... so we opted for the 7 hour express class on a Saturday... oddly enough - this one costs more.  lol

i'd say if you contact them and take good notes at the express one you can mostly email the lady who does the classes if you have more questions.  the lady at our hospital has been really good at answering our questions and such this far and our class isn't until april!

good luck! 

• Options
    I think the condensed class should be fine! We took a longer class when I was pg with DS#1 and the time could have definitely been used better. For example, I could have watched delivery videos at home rather than in a class full of uncomfortable men! Lol. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Awesome!  This makes me feel better, because I was just looking at the schedule of available classes and all the "regular" classes are booked through May...so I have to take an express! (unless I took them somewhere else)

Thanks ladies! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Go with the express class.  We did an 8 hour class on a saturday and it was nice to just go and "get it over with".  We covered a lot of material but a lot of it was common sense and what was new information for us we wrote down in a notebook.  Plus, it just made more sense for us to go once rather than twice a week for 2 hours at a time, then risking someone being sick and missing a class or the instructor cancelling for some reason... too many variables for me.
  • Options
    I say the express class.  When we went to ours back when I was pregnant with DD, I pretty much knew most of the material from here and reading things on my own.  The only thing that I really wanted to see hands on was the breathing techniques because I tend to freak out versus breathing through pain or stress.  It helped me to practice those. 
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    We're actually doing a 1-day express class (8 hours on a Saturday), just because we can't devote four weeks in a row on one day due to my husband's work schedule.
  • Options

We did a 3-4 hour class, 4 sessions.

SO complained because on the 3rd day if was all repeat information.

4th day was a hospital tour of L&D and they showed us everything in the rooms and where to get things.

• Options

I just took a condensed class this past weekend..and I think I liked it better than going for 6 weeks.... 

I would do it the same way again if I ever had to.  

• Options
    I would opt for the more time consuming one because youre not cramming tons of info in all at once. If it makes you feel any better, our bradley method classes are 12 weeks long.
    BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"